Widen Them Wheels

/ Widen Them Wheels #1  

keg99

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Call me a fool. I had my TC40 New Holland for almost ten years and FINALLY got around to widening the back wheels. What was I thinking. Years of living with a pucker factor every time is hit a slight slope. Made the whole experience, let's say, less than optimum?

I know, the wheels/tires are fluid filled. They are heavy. And I wasn't really sure I could handle them. But I did. And although it was a challenge, the end result was so worth it. Get a friend to help.

I suspect many others accept the wheel width as set by the factory. FORGET IT. That is just to ship them. Takes up less space.

A tractor needs to wide and needs to be sure footed. Factory settings suck. Wide is where it is at.

So, yes, I was a fool. But no more. I widened the wheels by flipping the inner dish. And I can now tackle that back field and don't have to worry about flipping it over.

Yes, I still need to careful. But to have waited so long. Sheesh.

So to all who haven't widened their wheels and are still living with those factory settings . . . stop it! Widen them out and begin to really enjoy your great tractor. It made me a believer.

But I'll reserve whether I'm still an idiot, because waiting almost 10 years doesn't make me look very smart!

Do it!

/ Widen Them Wheels #2  
I encourage friends to do the same, but some have tight spacing to work around. Wider feels better and is safer for slopes. Application may limit some from doing it--or fear or handling a huge massive object without a tractor available to get it picked up if it tips.

/ Widen Them Wheels #3  
An engine hoist would be a wonderful helping hand if you don't have a buddy.

/ Widen Them Wheels #4  
An engine hoist would be a wonderful helping hand if you don't have a buddy.

I spent $150 having my rear tires widen to their widest point several years. A little thought beforehand would have led me to conclude that that $150 could have been spent on a engine hoist for about the same $ and I'd still have the hoist today.......

Oh well, live and learn.

/ Widen Them Wheels #5  
I hear that the wheels should be within the width of the bucket. ... I see the reasoning, but dont go by it. In almost every case I find everything is gained and nothing lost by widening at the rear while keeping the fronts w/i the bucket width. I sometimes go with an even narrower bucket and get by fine with the fronts sticking out a little.

/ Widen Them Wheels #6  
The only major down side I could see to the wheels being wider than the bucket would be if you are digging or pushing snow. Also, it's a good indicator if the tractor will fit somewhere if the bucket fits.

/ Widen Them Wheels #7  
Just wondering, does widening out the rears affect the 4wd function at all? Pardon my ignorance.

/ Widen Them Wheels #8  
Just wondering, does widening out the rears affect the 4wd function at all? Pardon my ignorance.

It's not about 4WD traction, its all about stability. Wider stance = more stability going across hills.

/ Widen Them Wheels #9  
OK, Thanks. I have read about not driving on pavement with 4wd engaged. I just want to be sure that modifying the wheel stance won't screw something up. Something I am already an "expert" at doing without really trying too hard. :rolleyes:

/ Widen Them Wheels #10  
Call me a fool. I had my TC40 New Holland for almost ten years and FINALLY got around to widening the back wheels. What was I thinking. Years of living with a pucker factor every time is hit a slight slope. Made the whole experience, let's say, less than optimum?
I know, the wheels/tires are fluid filled. They are heavy. And I wasn't really sure I could handle them. But I did. And although it was a challenge, the end result was so worth it. Get a friend to help.
I suspect many others accept the wheel width as set by the factory. FORGET IT. That is just to ship them. Takes up less space.
A tractor needs to wide and needs to be sure footed. Factory settings suck. Wide is where it is at.
So, yes, I was a fool. But no more. I widened the wheels by flipping the inner dish. And I can now tackle that back field and don't have to worry about flipping it over.
Yes, I still need to careful. But to have waited so long. Sheesh.
So to all who haven't widened their wheels and are still living with those factory settings . . . stop it! Widen them out and begin to really enjoy your great tractor. It made me a believer.
But I'll reserve whether I'm still an idiot, because waiting almost 10 years doesn't make me look very smart!

Do it!

Sometimes a tractor needs to fit between the rows. Set the track width to the need.

It's not that hard.