Why some people are too stupid to own a car

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #212  
My issue with TPMS sensors is... Eventually the batteries in them poop out and the sensors must be replaced and reprogrammed and they aren't cheap either. If I could, I'd remove them entirely, perfectly capable of checking tire pressure. Problem is, you defeat or remove them, you wind up with an illuminated idiot light in the instrument cluster.

I look ate TPMS sensors as well as seat belt warnings as protecting yourself from yourself or for idiots that have no business driving a vehicle anyway.
I have a 16 Challenger. Somehow caught a bolt? entering I95 and really punched out a hole/flap. The dash told told me which tire and how how fast the air was leaving, so I could attend to getting the proper side of the car off the road (the farthest) for the exchange - all in about 5 seconds. I would have been still listening to the tire...

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #213  
My issue with TPMS sensors is... Eventually the batteries in them poop out and the sensors must be replaced and reprogrammed and they aren't cheap either. If I could, I'd remove them entirely, perfectly capable of checking tire pressure. Problem is, you defeat or remove them, you wind up with an illuminated idiot light in the instrument cluster.

I look ate TPMS sensors as well as seat belt warnings as protecting yourself from yourself or for idiots that have no business driving a vehicle anyway.

You must not get many flat tires. TPMS sensors have SAVED me money, to the point where I have installed aftermarket TPMS on my older rigs. I drive mainly dirt roads (not much pavement in my corner of the world) that cause a lot of flats; I see a lot of the pickups around here carrying 3 spares (2 in the bed and the OEM underneath). The TPMS alerts me to a tire going down so I can pull over and stop before the tire (and maybe the rim) is destroyed. 10-ply off-road tires are running close to $400 a pop right now and that will buy a few TPMS sensors.

DSC04831rtbn5-2-23.jpg

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #214  
The TPMS in my truck gives me readings of the pressure in all four tires. When I turn to that. That is fairly handy. My wife's SUV doesn't have that possibility. I put an aftermarket TPMS in for her that displays the pressures in all four tires when I put aftermarket snow tires on for winter use. She likes that feature enough to use it all year.

In general I agree that TPMS is mostly useless, tho, like many standard features now.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #215  
You must not get many flat tires. TPMS sensors have SAVED me money, to the point where I have installed aftermarket TPMS on my older rigs. I drive mainly dirt roads (not much pavement in my corner of the world) that cause a lot of flats; I see a lot of the pickups around here carrying 3 spares (2 in the bed and the OEM underneath). The TPMS alerts me to a tire going down so I can pull over and stop before the tire (and maybe the rim) is destroyed. 10-ply off-road tires are running close to $400 a pop right now and that will buy a few TPMS sensors.

View attachment 798651
That is a crappy looking dirt road and we live 2 miles off the pavement as well and I cannot remember getting a flat on the dirt / gravel road in 35 years. You must be buying China Bomb tires... Still don't like TPMS sensors but then I check all our tires at least every second time out.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #216  
When my daughter was about 16 her car wouldnā€™t start. It was dark out and I had always heard banging the starter would sometimes work. It was front drive and I knew roughly where the starter was. After about 5 minutes of me randomly banging around with a hammer and a look on her face of ā€œthis is never going to startā€ it turned over and started.
That also can work with a bad fuel pump, although you generally need somebody cranking while you beat on the tank. Still, it might get you home.
Daytime Running Lights don't turn on the taillights, the taillights only turn on when the headlights turn on.
IMO they should turn on when the key turns on.
I took a can of black spray paint (out of the car) or a sharpie (in the car) to the sensors in our cars.
That way they turn on as soon as they key turns on.
IMO having both headlights and taillights is important for safety, ESPECIALLY in the winter when many people have DRLs on, but no taillights.

Aaron Z
I sometimes will throw a glove up on the sensor if the weather is conducive to needing the taillights. What I don't understand is the number of people who DO have DRLs, yet choose to shut them off even when visibility stinks.
The stock radios of everything I've had in the last few years, even in my F350 XL, are better than the anything I had in the past. Hell, I haven't had a speaker blow in years. šŸ¤£
I miss my Supertuner III. Quite often service is so poor that I have to listen to myself singing. Now that my company truck is equiped with a dash cam, I hope and pray that I never get into an accident. :D
I have a 16 Challenger. Somehow caught a bolt? entering I95 and really punched out a hole/flap. The dash told told me which tire and how how fast the air was leaving, so I could attend to getting the proper side of the car off the road (the farthest) for the exchange - all in about 5 seconds. I would have been still listening to the tire...
Last Friday I looked at the clock on the ride home and realized that I was going to be using an hour of vacation time. Then I noticed the light on the dash flashing...
I barely had time to get off the road before it went flat. At least I didn't have to burn vacation time... šŸ‘
That is a crappy looking dirt road and we live 2 miles off the pavement as well and I cannot remember getting a flat on the dirt / gravel road in 35 years. You must be buying China Bomb tires... Still don't like TPMS sensors but then I check all our tires at least every second time out.
I won't buy less than 10 ply tires yet still get a flat occasionally. I also run roads where most people fear to tread... usually at speed. Flat tires are part of the package. Yet my last flat was on a clear paved highway... it was bulky waste day and I suspect that I hit something which didn't make it into the truck body.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #217  
I never drive faster than 20 mph on the dirt / gravel roads. All driving at speed does is sandblast your undercarriage and cause the wheel wells to fill up with crud. Modern vehicles with no grease plastic insert ball joints and tie rod ends will fail sooner with the sandblasted crud plus it's hell on your disc brakes.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #218  
I never drive faster than 20 mph on the dirt / gravel roads. All driving at speed does is sandblast your undercarriage and cause the wheel wells to fill up with crud. Modern vehicles with no grease plastic insert ball joints and tie rod ends will fail sooner with the sandblasted crud plus it's hell on your disc brakes.
I do the same on dirt roads. But it's not due to road conditions. It's the chance of coming around a blind corner on a narrow dirt road and meeting an unexpected vehicle (usually bigger than me).

Most of my off the pavement driving is done in an F550 service truck going to and from active construction sites.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #219  
Agreed.....

..... then, wheel-well liners on p/u trucks pushing $100k (CAD) were bean-counted into the factory-option list......

..... seems parts weren't failing fast enough already.....

Rgds, D.

/ Why some people are too stupid to own a car #220  

View attachment 798651
My thread-wander for the day....

..... I bought my first street-legal trail bike this month..... any chance people down your way will sponsor a refugee couple from Kanada ? :cool:

Rgds, D.