Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #11  
Hope the homeowner checked the guy's bond. It looks like he had cut two notches. One is up higher than he's working. Anytime there are structures involved, you use a line. He could have put one on right up until the last swing of the sledge.
Once when my wife was helping me cut firewood, I misjudged the way a tree wanted to fall. It was a very tall oak and my Jeep with a trailer was too close. And there was no real road. We had just came through the woods. But I stopped sawing in time to get the vehicle moved. I had to cut a couple of smaller trees to make my escape. After that, my wife didn't help me with firewood all that often.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #12  
With either a leaner or tree with heavy branches on the wrong side, those little wedges would never offset the natural way that tree wanted to fall. It should have had restraint ropes or have been limbed and the trunk taken down in sections. That job is what pros are for.

I am surprised he didn't have his wife out there pushing on the tree away from the house. It would have had about as much effect.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree
I am surprised he didn't have his wife out there pushing on the tree away from the house. It would have had about as much effect.

You mean like this?

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #14  
He said not to let it fall on the bush and that's what he did. :D

He said not to let it fall on the bush and that's what he did. :D

I just have no idea how he thought that one person, pulling on a line, was going to be sufficient to change the direction of the tree's fall.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #16  
I just have no idea how he thought that one person, pulling on a line, was going to be sufficient to change the direction of the tree's fall.

Right and that tree had enough lean to have barber chaired on him. Plus the angle of the pull was way off.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #17  
I tied to my truck's rear one tiime with a very large tree and when it came down the truck's rear lifted up and took off.

Right and that tree had enough lean to have barber chaired on him. Plus the angle of the pull was way off.

Yup. I don't think you can pull a tree effectively ninety degrees to the direction of its lean. Best-case, you're going to end up pulling it a few degrees off course, but not from 12-o-clock to 3-o-clock. Seems to me, if you absolutely had to drop a tree that way, you might could cut the hinge such that it tore away from one side first, causing a twisting effect. But that's undoubtedly a very advanced move, and I suspect most arborists who would have been capable of it are in the ground now, since nowadays we basically just use a bucket truck and take them down from the top.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #19  
I don't think these guys knew about hinges and such. He spent more time setting up the camera than thinking out what the tree would do.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #20  
I always find it amazing these things are videotaped and posted online for the world to see. Are these folks proud of their accomplishments?

MoKelly