Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #1  

joshuabardwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225

According to the video description, this was a "professional" faller. Given that he didn't cut off the back-leaning limbs OR put a backup line to guide the fall, I have to wonder if he wasn't just some guy with a saw who figured it was an easy way to make a buck.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #2  
Looks like he had it notched properly and was driving wedges on the correct side. Apparently it must have been severely leaning toward the house, in which case a pull line was needed. What was really needed was a true professional tree removal service with lift truck so that huge tree could be cut from the top down in sections.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #3  
Wow... love the commentary!

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #4  
Someone who knew what they were doing wouldn't have been fooling around with an axe. I hate to laugh at others misery, but that gave me a chuckle.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #7  
I assumed the guy had cut the notch with a chainsaw then was driving wedges onto the back cut but you may be right that the idiot was just using an axe. Kinda hard to tell from the video.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree
Someone who knew what they were doing wouldn't have been fooling around with an axe. I hate to laugh at others misery, but that gave me a chuckle.

I don't think it was an axe. I think he was driving wedges with a sledge.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree
Looks like he had it notched properly and was driving wedges on the correct side. Apparently it must have been severely leaning toward the house, in which case a pull line was needed.

The person who shot the video thinks that there were a lot of branches on the back side. A little more subtle than a leaner. If it was a leaner, then the faller was truly an idiot. If it was branches, he was just an amateur.

/ Why not to just let some jerk from Craigslist drop your tree #10  
The few months I worked for a tree service the boss would run ropes up the tree, tie it to the truck and tension the tree the direction it needed to fall. I cannot remember if it was one rope for each truck or just one rope. One rope for each truck would be safer. Trucks were one ton trucks with dump beds to hold chips.