Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #31  
I see most folks have had the single focal lenses. Anyone have experience with the multifocal?
Yes, both eyes. Good focus from about 18" out. Some bullseye effect with headlights at night but easy to deal with by not looking directly at the light.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #32  
Had it done in both eyes one year ago. I was 59 at the time. It made a huge difference and was not even slightly painful. It was unbelievably quick. The only drawback for me is I can see the discs when I open my eyes during the middle of the night. Kind of a weird sensation. Otherwise, I am satisfied. It resulted in a tremendous improvement in my distance vision.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #34  
I see most folks have had the single focal lenses. Anyone have experience with the multifocal?
Back in Feb, I had my left eye done with a mono focal lens, didn't have good results. I had Lasik many years ago opting for monovision, worked great, so I figured I would do that with the lens implant too. Bad idea. Last month (Dec.) I had the old single vision lens replaced with a multi-focal lens, much better. I can read cell phone writing, but I use +.75? readers for reading small print books in bed. I can read the fine print on most cans if the light is good. Car headlights at night remind me of hoot owls, it isn't really bothersome, kind of amusing. It looks like concentric rings around the lights, but not really a problem. The lens I used are the Panoptix brand, as I recall. The doctor said I would be more likely to have halos (owl eyes) around lights at night, but they also would give me better near vision, which is important to me. Go with the multifocal is my advice, more out of pocket, but worth it to me!
I am 65

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #35  
My time is coming. 63 and have had non obstructive cataracts for maybe 10 years. I suspect they are getting a bit larger and into my visual range, especially in low light with dilated pupils....oh well my grandparents' generation just went blind.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted.
I'm 56, and my right eye has developed a pretty bad cataract, requiring surgery. I had an eye exam at two different places and they both agree on the need for cataract surgery, as do I, because my vision in my right eye has gotten real crappy.

Key-Whitman Eye Center (big eye center in/near Dallas) did Lasik on my left eye 10 years ago and I trust them the most and will have them do the surgery. The Lasik 10 years ago gave me mono vision, left corrected for distance via Lasik, right eye was left alone and was suitable for reading. The mono vision worked ok, but depth perception was a slight problem and you find yourself having to align your head certain ways for things like reading/welding so the proper eye is aligned with the task.

Anyway, I'm thinking of going with, and they've recommended, a Symfony multifocal IOL. They said it should give me great distance and intermediate, with useable near vision for everyday tasks of reading a cell phone, dashboard etc. Actual reading of a book or fine print, I'd probably prefer readers. I'm fine with this, I already use off-the-rack readers for this and at my age, I figure readers are pretty much the norm. The plan right now is to just fix the right eye, but the left would need done some year down the road.

The only real concerns I have is with night vision. The Symfony lens is supposed to minimize most halo's, glare, starburst etc, that a multi focal can have, but doesn't truly eliminate it. Doing the surgery via laser is also supposed to minimize the risk of night issues when using multi focal lenses. I went down the Google-fu rabbit hole during my research and like most internet research, I find reviews all over the place. Like most things, you're going to hear mainly from the folks that aren't happy. So I'm checking with the folks I trust the most on real world feed-back, TBN'ers.

I have a meeting with a Key- Whitman counselor on Jan. 9th to finalize everything and then schedule the procedure. Most insurance will pay for standard Mono focal lenses installed via conventional surgery. Upgrading to a multi-focal and laser assisted surgery would cost more out of my pocket. I'm fine with this, eyesight is a big thing and I want the best possible outcome for the remainder of my life.

What's the feedback/outcome/recommendations with some of the folks here?
I had my final consult this morning and I decided to go with the multi-focal lenses. There will be issues with some halo's/glare/starbursts with oncoming lights at night, but they're supposed to subside after the first month and then just be a minor annoyance and manageable. The upside is I should be able to perform everyday tasks without glasses, with the exception of cheaters for fine print reading. I'm fine with that.

They do the first eye Tuesday next week and the other eye at the end of the month. I was surprised to hear they give you anesthesia (twilight) for the procedure. I thought they just did it with numbing eye drops.

I'll report back with progress updates on my experience, for all those that said they're considering a similar choice/procedure.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #39  
Back in Feb, I had my left eye done with a mono focal lens, didn't have good results. I had Lasik many years ago opting for monovision, worked great, so I figured I would do that with the lens implant too. Bad idea. Last month (Dec.) I had the old single vision lens replaced with a multi-focal lens, much better. I can read cell phone writing, but I use +.75? readers for reading small print books in bed. I can read the fine print on most cans if the light is good. Car headlights at night remind me of hoot owls, it isn't really bothersome, kind of amusing. It looks like concentric rings around the lights, but not really a problem. The lens I used are the Panoptix brand, as I recall. The doctor said I would be more likely to have halos (owl eyes) around lights at night, but they also would give me better near vision, which is important to me. Go with the multifocal is my advice, more out of pocket, but worth it to me!
I am 65
Interesting. I was under the impression that once you chose a lens, you were stuck with it and it couldn't be changed.

I've heard from many people that they were not happy with 'monovision' on the lens replacement. With my desire for depth perception in motorbiking and sports, there was no way I would have considered that.

Good luck gsganzer, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results, if not a little lighter in the pocketbook. :)

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #40  
I wore glasses since I was 6. I had both eyes done 2 weeks apart back in 2014. Have the monovision implants. I now have 20/20 vision. I wear reading glasses for computer and close up work, but it is no big deal. Surgery was a piece of cake, had to wear a patch for a few days to protect the eye.