Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #41  
I was surprised to hear they give you anesthesia (twilight) for the procedure. I thought they just did it with numbing eye drops.
Both times they gave me the option, drugs with drops or just drops...I went with the drops and had no complaints.

.....had to wear a patch for a few days to protect the eye.
Not even a patch, gave me a perforated cover to put on for the first night sleep so I wouldn't put pressure on it. Only thing they said when i walked out of surgery, "Use the elevator not the steps when you leave as your depth perception is non existent and we don't work on broken necks that well :)"

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted.
Good luck gsganzer, I'm sure you'll be happy with the results, if not a little lighter in the pocketbook. :)
You are not joking my friend! $12K to have both eyes done. I do have a high deductible healthcare plan and it's the start of the year.

Hopefully I'll have more medical issues this year and I'll find solace that my deductible has already been met.:geek::geek::geek:

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #43  
Seems like they use a gallon of drops, lol! First eye they may have been light on the the anesthesia. It was like looking through a kaladiscope plus i could hear murmuring. Almost like aliens had taken me. I mentioned that for the second eye. Ha, they made sure that i was out.

Today is the big day. Cataract surgery scheduled for 12:30. I administered 2 different drops to the surgical eye last night before bed and have to administer a second drop of one of the meds this morning.

A little nervous. Not about the procedure, but more about the outcome.

I'll report back when I'm able.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #46  
I had the lens replacement done in both eyes 8 years ago. I'm totally pleased although I do now have to use reading glasses for close up work. Spouse is in the middle of having both eyes done now, with the first one completed. Results so far are 100% great.

I do understand that progressive lenses are near public availability, but I cannot verify that.

Tab for my lens replacement 10 years after Medicare & insurance was $1,000 per eye; initial charge was $10,000 per eye. Current price tab for spouse is now $345 per eye; $13,000 initial charge.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #47  
having an elderly aunt that kept putting off cataract surgery until she was too old for it to have made any difference
How old was that?
My 98 year old MIL had hers done when she was 96.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #48  
I had mine done a few years ago with Medicare. I went with single vision since all other options were my responsibility. I ended up paying, I think, about $350 per eye. I have 20/20 vision day or night but need reading glasses. For those, I just get OTC 1.5D glasses for a few bucks. I use 2.0 if I'm working on something really detailed. The doctor initially prescribed 3.0 because of my age group but I couldn't see anything with those unless it was at the end of my nose. :rolleyes:

The surgery was completed on the right eye and I'm home. The entire duration was about 1 hour from entering the front door to walking out, led by my wife.

A slight amount of discomfort, mainly from stinging eye drops, and a little pressure and prodding of the eye, while they worked on it. None of it caused the least bit of concern.

Vision is slowly coming, but eye is still dilated, so really can't see yet. They also covered it with a contact that I assume they'll remove when I have my followup tomorrow. What little I do see, is a dramatically different and more vibrant color spectrum from my other eye (which will get the same procedure in 2 weeks. I've also started the post-op eye drop regiment.

Anyway, going to lie down and take a nap with the dog for a few hours.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #50  
What little I do see, is a dramatically different and more vibrant color spectrum from my other eye
That's what I recall too. I had to sleep with an eye patch for a couple of nights as I remember. The doctor gave me some drops to help with the pain. My follow up appointment was a week later. She was very busy.