Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #11  
Both eyes, different times.
I have moderate glaucoma and left eye(dominate eye) the retina had problems that resolve to a surprisingly good 20/40.

Single focus, glasses for near. Piece of cake. They used eye drops to numb the eye, laser stage used to break up the lens, except the seal failed on one eye. Phaco to finish up. I didn't notice any difference on the phaco part, between the eye with the lens broken up with the laser, over the other. I believe the laser is used to reduce energy introduced to the eye by reducing the phaco energy needed to break up the lens. The energy introduced has been indicated in protean damage inside the eye, including damage/denaturing the capsule behind the lens. I still needed laser treatment about a month after, where they shot holes in the capsule behind the eye.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #12  
I had both eyes done , wore eye glasses for 54 years . Now only need readers . My first view was what did I miss out on in my life.,

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #13  
I had mine done about 3 years ago (73 now) with the expensive extended focus lenses. 100% happy with it. I have some rings around lights at night but it's not a problem. I use 1.50 reading glasses for comfort when reading, but as long as there is reasonable light, I can read, use a phone, etc. without glasses. When driving I can read the dashboard with no problem. Both eyes came out essentially identical and better than 20/20. I had worn glasses or contacts since I was 9 years old.

I did begin to have some haziness about a year after the surgery. My doctor said this happens in about 20% of the cases. I'm not sure what the technical issue is, but they did a laser "touch-up". It only took a few seconds per eye and returned my vision to crystal clear.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #14  
Pipeliner , Stationary Engineer , Welder , basic young fool worker , took its tole on my body , 4 fusion in neck , 4 types of arthritis , stage 4 cancer survivor . Please use your PPE , don’t be a tough guy , and think you don’t need that crap .

Eyes and fingers are tough to purchase at WalMart the last time I looked

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #15  
Wife had both hers done two years ago due to lens damage from prescription medications. Paid big money to upgrade to multifocal hoping she would not need reading glasses. She drives with no glasses but has readers hanging on her neck for phone or reading. Eye surgeon said close vision would get better in a few months. To me multifocal expense was not worth the extra cost.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #16  
I see most folks have had the single focal lenses. Anyone have experience with the multifocal?
Not me, but my Dad did both at 86 when he had cataracts fixed. Multifocal lenses & he loves it. Whole life he had astigmatisms/far-sightedness and wore bifocals as long as I remember ... now no glasses for distance or reading. Night vision is better than it was, but at 94, it really ain't great. No halos though, which I did have from lasik in 2007, and I reverted within 2 years, whereas he hasn't.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #17  
I see most folks have had the single focal lenses. Anyone have experience with the multifocal?
A close friend has them and hates them. She's thinking about getting regular monofocal lenses put in, but it may be pretty expensive.
I told her not to get them, but her doctor said most people got them and loved them. Of course, the doctor made more money for selling the multifocal lenses,
My ophthalmologist discourages them because of all complaints people have had with them.

Last edited:
   / Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #18  
Subscribed. I'm waiting to do this. Vision is getting worse and catarac surgery is recommended for me.
My friend got it first. He paid extra for multifocus lens. First eye went good and vision is perfect. Second eye not so good. 3rd surgery on the second eye tomorrow for my friend. He has been about 1 year getting all these surgeries to straightened out the one eye. He said he blames his trouble on the injectable antibiotic vs the eyedrops. His advice, do not take the injectable antibiotic.

Last edited:
   / Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #19  
Dittoes on the lense replacement. Cataracts "creep" up on your eyes and degrade your vision so slowly. I first really noticed mine when dove hunting. Could no longer knock them down. Didn't know why. Then went for annual eye exam and they caught it. Talk about a life changing experience! Took just a few minutes and suddenly I was again seeing all those things I had been missing for a few months.

/ Who's had cataract surgery? Feedback wanted. #20  
When my wife had her first eye done, the numbing solution ended up irritating her throat. She told the doctor and the nurses but they went ahead anyway. Well, when the doctor had her lense out, she coughed, driving the iris forward. The doctor has done many thousand's of surgeries and he flooded her eye with carbon dioxide. He managed to save her eye. She went back three weeks later and had the new lense inserted. Second time around, a nurse told my wife to put her finger on the (forget the proper term) tube that runs to the throat which worked for her. She did have some issues for a long time but that eye is pretty much okay now. The other eye was not a problem.

FWIW, I upgraded my reading glasses from what Medicare covered to no line bifocals with no prescription on the top and with safety lenses. That way when I need to both see and protect my eyes I am covered.