Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft

/ Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
I've got a 9' disc mower for hay I put on a caddy, it has a Walterscheid overdrive shaft from the caddy to the mower but I'm getting some vibration on turns and I'd rather not blow a $2k gearbox if I can avoid it. I think I need to upgrade the PTO shaft form the tractor to the Caddy with a CV joint. Anyone have a preferred one? I'd rather upgrade the shaft just add one on...I think that will be cheaper anyway.

Next question, do I need one on both ends of that shaft? Seems like a lot of the prebuilt shafts have an 80 degree joint on one end and 50 degree on the other.

/ Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft #2  
CV joints are expensive too. Maybe watch turning so short. I cut the long straight runs. Cut both ends of a field first. Unless it is exactly square, it's gonna have a long side and short side. Real CV joints are a pain to re do. You'll wish you had five hands.

/ Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft #3  
These people have a good selection of PTO shafts, with one or both ends and sorted by horsepower;
Bare Co USA - Wide Angle CV Shafts

Quite often just the tractor end will have the CV as it is usually the end that gets the most articulation.

/ Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft #4  
I have a 10' Kodiak pull behind mower and make frequent sharp turns with no issues with the CV pto that came with it.

Idaho2

/ Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft #5  
So does Agri Supply. I have a double Cardan on my disc bine. So long as you keep it lubricated, it's no issue.

/ Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft
So does Agri Supply. I have a double Cardan on my disc bine. So long as you keep it lubricated, it's no issue.
Came close to grabbing one there last weekend but it seems really long requiring a shaft trim so I figured I should research some first.

/ Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft #7  
My Frontier FM has one and I'm going to put oine on my Maschio flail since that one works so well.

/ Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft #8  
Cardan is what came with my 10' Kodiak/Mahindra mower.

/ Who runs a CV joint on their PTO shaft #10  
I lost a CV joint a while back on a baler, I ran a single joint for years, but severely limited turning radius. I could not rebuilt the original Weasler CV, was completely shot. I also could not easily find the CV end to fit my implement end.

Ended up buying a complete replacement assembly made by B&P(Italy). Spending 4 figures on a driveshaft wasn't fun, but being able turn and not risk vibration was well worth it.