Which way should I go?

/ Which way should I go? #1  

sparc

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4410, NH TC-25, Bobcat M610, JD X534, Dig-It Model 158, JD Ztrak 737. 6X4 Gator
Still looking at various tilt bed trailers. I've got three choices right now.

1. 2007 Bri-Mar 18' tilt bed on CL for $4300 asking price, average condition but could use
re-decking judging from looking at photos. Brakes and lights unknown at this point, haven't
eyeballed the trailer yet, it's 45 miles away.

2. New PJ T5 20'(16+4) split tilt 10K for $4800

3. New Cam Superline 16' tilt bed 11.9K, model 5CAM16FTT or 13.8K 6CAM16FTT for~$7400

For the amount of use I would give this trailer I don't really want to lay out $7K+ for a trailer that
will see maybe 500 miles a year, and that will be mostly short hauls of 45 miles or less one way.

So do I need the CAM or can I get by OK with the PJ, or should I go for the used the Bri-Mar
which is roughly the same price as the PJ but 5 years old and may need some TLC.

My loads right now are all under 5000 pounds and lengths of equipment are all under 11 feet, though the tractor with a finish mower would be about 14 feet overall.

/ Which way should I go? #2  
Every used trailer I have purchased required some work.
5 year old tires probably should be replaced.
New decking.
Electrical problems.
Brakes and bearings.

For that money, the new trailer would be an easy choice for me.

/ Which way should I go? #3  
davkir said it. I'd go with the PJ 16+4. You will spend $500 worth of your time and materials just re-decking the used trailer. Then if it needs any other repairs, new tires, etc. you'll come out behind. On the PJ that you linked I notice it says radial tires are the default tire choice, which is nice.

/ Which way should I go? #4  
I have a 4 year old PJ 16' car hauler. It's not a tilt trailer. It's a good trailer.

/ Which way should I go? #5  
Every used trailer I have purchased required some work.
5 year old tires probably should be replaced.
New decking.
Electrical problems.
Brakes and bearings.

For that money, the new trailer would be an easy choice for me.

I agree. I would not give $2500 for that used one from your description.

Chris

/ Which way should I go? #6  
I would also suggest the new pj but before you order I would double check your weights. Their estimated weight of a base trailer leaves you with about 4600 lbs worth of payload. Just look at all the angles is all I will say. you don't want to end up like I did and buy what you think you need and realize that its just not enough for your uses. good luck.