Which Stick Welder?

/ Which Stick Welder?
I just finished my welding class about a month ago. I really liked the industrial MIG and TIG machines we were using, but for what I will be doing, I only need stick right now and wouldn't be able to justify the expense. I wanted a heavy duty machine, so I bought a used Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC for less than $500 and am picking it up Monday.

I believe that the key is duty cycle - I don't want to have to wait for the machine. I looked at the Thunderbolt, but I went with the Dialarc because of it's higher 100% duty cycle amperage.

/ Which Stick Welder?
Just a suggestion if you purchase a new welder.... Mine came with one long cable so you could cut it to any two lengths and attach the plugs, rod holder and clamp. It seems logical to just cut this length of cord in half. It would be smarter to cut one short piece off for the "ground clamp" and leave the electrode holder cable long so you have more room to move around. I think I cut 1/3 off the original length of cable for the ground lead and that has worked well for me.

/ Which Stick Welder?
Hi,

I agree with Davidb, but there is one thing to consider.

If you are welding on somethink like a bridge, then you don't really worry about where the ground connection is located on the structure.

Now on a tractor, you should worry about how the current flows...you don't really want those welding currents flowing through bearings and such, where pitting could be caused.

In the case of welding on your tractor...it would be prudent to put the ground clamp as close as you can to the point you are welding at.

Better safe than sorry...

/ Which Stick Welder? #34  
I am also looking into purchasing a new stick welder. I am looking at the lincoln 225/125 ac/dc stick welder and the dc version.

I have never welded anything before so I have no experiance at all.

My question is what do you use the DC for? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It costs about $140 for the DC option. I am trying to determine if it is worth the extra $.

I will mainly be using it to weld on Implements and small projects around the house (Go-Carts/Dollys/metal tables....)

Thanks,

/ Which Stick Welder?
Bnixon, "I will mainly be using it to weld on Implements and small projects around the house (Go-Carts/Dollys/metal tables....)" pretty much sums up 2 things for me, first being you need to either find someone who can teach you, or enroll in a school program before you buy anything. From my seat, your list of items you want to weld would probably fall into the basket of witch machine and process will do it best for me.
Most implement repair usually is done with stick, because of machine capacity, rod selection, and ability to weld in invariably lousey positions and on dirty metal.
Gocarts and things like tables might be a choice of MIG or TIG, depending on where I need to get the weld in, and how strong the weld needs to be. Could I weld either with a Stick, provbably, but I usually wouldn't if I didn't have to. I'd be more likely to go at light fabrications with an O/A torch.
Bottom Line, the weld isn't in the machine, it's the man behind the hood or goggles who makes the weld.
Both of the sites referred to have excellent information, BUT, let me assure you, no site, video tape, or book will ever teach you to weld. I can teach all you'll need in 10 minutes, BUT, it will take years for you to learn to be a weldOr. In a lot of ways, it's like being a concert pianist, Practice and only practice will get you there. You wouldn't think you could buy a Steinway today and play a concert at Carnagee Hall Friday.
Miller offers an excellent "learn to wweld" package for around $25-, and you get a cupon for a free jacket along with it. I'd suggest you spend the first $25- on that program.