Which Stick Welder?

/ Which Stick Welder?
The m.i.g. process is easier to think you are doing a better job.The m.i.g. process does not make better welds than stick.Some welding codes will not allow short circuiting m.i.g. process on certain higher critical joints,because of this learner friendly trait. Cold lap[lack of fusion to base metal] is a common problem of the m.i.g. process.If you turn it up in order to get penatration and avoid cold lap,its not all that easy any more especially over head,there are other tricks as well you have to use with m.i.g. to avoid these problems.RICHARD GAUTHIER

/ Which Stick Welder? #12  
How about letting some of us with limited welding time with a MIG (me for example) know some of the tricks to making a good weld? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Which Stick Welder? #13  
In addition to the tips, I would really like to see some pictures of some "bad", "cold fused", etc welds (both MIG and Stick) along side some equally "good" welds so, when us rookies are assessing our attempts, we having something to compare.

Bob

/ Which Stick Welder? #14  
wrought n harv
Without trying to get a total course in al welding, which I thought was usually done with TIG, can you advise what I would need to weld with a stick welder and can it be done with AC or is it a dc only rod? I assume the al has to be really clean like in tig and does the stick leave a slag coat like when welding steel? A readers digest version of al welding with stick would be read with great interest!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Which Stick Welder? #15  
Okay. I'll give my two cents worth. I imagine both machines are good machines. But don't base purchase on whether it comes with wheels or not. You can build a nice cart, one that is practical. I actually made mine from wood. It holds machine, hood, cutting torch bottles, and a few tools. I have the Lincoln tombstone AC only. I find 5/32 rods are easier to weld with, unless metal is real thin. We built some awfully heavy duty pipe racks with this machine at my last job. It's very capable. Rods will be another issue. I like 7018 rods because it's strongest and because it's what I learned on. But there's easier rods to weld with, particularly for welding through paint or rust. 7018 requires clean bare metal - but then that's always a good idea.

As far as looking at a mig weld to determine if it's any good, I don't think you can in every case. If in doubt, weld some test strips and try breaking them. But mig certainly can be strong. And it's easier. If I had the money I may have gone mig. But probably not. As seldom as I weld I would be concerned wire would rust up on spool, or mechanism get all dirty. And I had a certain amount I wanted to spend. For the money I would rather have more amps and stick, then a spooler and bottle with less amps. And I can change to a different rod quicker than changing a wire spool and head.

/ Which Stick Welder? #16  
I forgot to add (as if my post wasn't wordy enough): Lincoln has an excellent website with an awesome number of articles on different welding topics. If I do this right the site is

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/

Check it out. Look for the articles list.

/ Which Stick Welder?
#1,clean your base metal of all oil and grease and shine it up where your going to weld.#2,burn hot enough to get penatration,I'm not looking at abook so... but 120 amps and 19 volts for .035 wire comes to mind,of course if you are welding sheet metal you go lower by using a smaller dia. wire.#3,move your wrist and direct you wire at the edges of what you are joining,Im talking about 1/4" thick and up.#4,if you start getting holes in your bead the wind could be blowing your gas shielding away#5keep your wire dry and rust free,also make sure your base metal is dry.Its a good idea in my opinion to learn to stick a little anyways before trying m.i.g. Stick welding requires more practice than mig and also more skill and if you are a desent stick welder you pick up m.i.g. pretty easy.I don't know if these where some of the things you were interested in knowing or not,but....Also it takes practice,to be good,years of practice. RICHARD GAUTHIER

/ Which Stick Welder?
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifRG has covered most of the salient points and especially the one about learning to stick weld FIRST. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I suspect that wire welders got a bad rap /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif because when they first came out the technology was a bit primitive and there was a lot we didn't know about technique. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif That, and the use of box store wire machines by the hobbyist who has NO IDEA /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif what welding with stick is like and doesn't really have a good way to tell if the wire weld is working or not. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif In the mid sixties we were still afraid to use wire welding on reallycritical stuff, but that has since changed with better machines and better techniques. When I first got my Miller it had the Miller gun on it and I kid you not, I thought the WHOLE CONCEPT of wire welding was flawed /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.....until I tossed the Miller gun in the trash /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and installed a TWECO gun. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Oh, and in case I've given you the impression I am a MIG-only welder, just let me say I've WORN OUT two portable DC stick units welding pipeline in the field; you know, where the pipe joints have a BOTTOM SIDE as well as the easy side where the sun shines on it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Which Stick Welder? #19  
Snowyridge, I have a 225 lincoln that I have been learning to use over the past few months. This machine is around thirty years old and was given to me for free. I have taken about 6 classes at a voc. tech college and practicing on the weekends. Bottom line is that this unit will probably do what I want to do with it on the farm. If buying I would definitly get one with DC. As far as brands lincoln, hobart and miller are the way to go from what I can tell. A miller thunderbolt would probably be the way I would go, this due to the local welding supply supply shops and possible resale values.I also like the fine tuning of the amp controls in this model better than the lincoln. Some sizes and welding positions require me to go up or down a little. After a few classes you will know what I mean. Wait until after a few classes then get one of your own to practice with at home. This will increase the welding curve. I kind of explained it to my bird hunting buddy in that you have to get the shooting basics down before you try to hit a flying grouse in timber. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Like to have given me fitsgetting the right angle and keeping it while the rod got shorter /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Good feeling when it all comes together and you can concentrate on the actual welding process.
Either way 450 max in a stick welder would probably do it and still be cheap and handy enough to still keep around no matter what process you went on to do. Good luck and don't get frustrated at first. It's a blast. If you can get a buddy to go down that road with you so you can compare notes. Or at least keep us up on you travels. You will have a lot of questions and these people here are the greatest. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Patrick

/ Which Stick Welder? #20  
Darn, you got me there. I've never tried to weld aluminum with stick. I have a couple of buds who swear by it though.

The reason I haven't is because I can either heliarc or spoolgun it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cardinal rule of welding is cleanliness is (pick your favorite word). With aluminum that's true in spades. btw I love welding aluminum, I'm not good at it but darn, it's fun and so pretty.

Welding is a lot like being married. When it's all working, it's very very good. But just a little thing out of kilter can mean nothing's right in the whole world.

One of the reasons I like the Miller Thunderbolt over the Lincoln tombstone is with the Miller there's infinite adjustment of the amps versus five to ten amp jumps with the Lincoln. There are times when five amps one way or other leaves one twixt and tween, twixt pulling their hair out or tween just cutting it off.