which Kubota

/ which Kubota #21  
Paddock,

Thanks for the detailed explaination.

For clarification, Kubota BX's are the only "sub" compact that I know of, the TC18 is a "compact". /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ which Kubota #22  
Rat - Uh, thanks. I think. Now, with the obligatory thank you out of the way, just what in blazes do you have against Amsoil??? (Just kidding.) /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I sympathize with you in many respects. I do sometimes weary just a little of being primarily interested in a size of tractor that interests probably 5% of the board's membership. I'm usually answering questions (whether correctly or incorrectly remains to be seen) for people who have tractors 1/3 to 1/2 the size of mine. (And believe me, I'm in no way implying they're less useful, lower in stature, lower class, etc. Only that they're not the same.) So, when a guy with a 20 hp tractor asks a question, he gets 40 replies. But when I ask one, I get 3. Maybe (I'm sorting this out in my mind [contradiction in terms] as I ramble) the issue is more experience level than tractor size. I don't know, but sometimes I do feel that if I want advice, I don't stand nearly as good a chance of getting help as the average member. Somehow that sounds arrogant, but that's not at all the way I mean it. My point is that there are a few folks (comparatively, not literally) that are in the same situation, whether they feel the same way about it or not.

But, having said all that, I feel the negative I just mentioned is more than compensated for by the appreciation and high level of participation shown by so many of the members of this forum. I remember a couple occasions where I've spent half an hour researching a question by a "New Member" or "Unregistered" person, and known for a fact that the information was correct, but never even got a response. I don't even know if they ever checked back and got the information. That's discouraging. But it's also very very rare. "The gang" here is unusually vocal about help provided and unusually silent about negative things. It's a very useful opportunity for all of us, but as with everything, the exact value of it will vary from person to person.

Mark

/ which Kubota #23  
Jim,
The main reason I am looking to down size is the option for moving the tractor (all I have is a 1/2 ton p/u ) paying $150.00 to have the tractor moved (friends always needing favors)/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif gets old fast....

Also did your dealer have any bent towards NH or Kubota, the one I went to is very pro Kubota which caused me to have doubts in the NH. He told me that they sell Kubota 4-1 over NH but #for# the NH keeps calling my name./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ which Kubota #24  
<font color=blue> Jim,
Just wondering what your favorite tractor brand is</font color=blue> /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ which Kubota #25  
Weight seems to be a tricky specification (and not everyone calculates it the same way), although it sure is simple to take them down to the scales. My M6800SD tractor with loader & filled tires jumps from 4608# to 7600# then with a mower it is 8600# and the trailer weighs nearly 2000#. 10,600# is about as much as I would like to pull behind my 1/2 ton pickup too. Trailer brakes work wonderful. The L Series is a little more transportable and mine would be 1500# lighter without the anti-freeze (non/toxic) in the tires.

/ which Kubota #26  
Wen,

That's a lot of weight to pull behind a 1/2 ton! What engine/make do you have?

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ which Kubota #27  
stvman,

My dealer only handles New Holland. Another dealer that I visited for price comparison handles NH & Kubota. He slanted towards the Kubota but he also had more Kubotas in stock. This was the type of dealer that I was referring to that plays second fiddle to NH-Only dealers, the guy that handles both has a harder time getting NH tractors because the NH company doesn't like it when they carry competitive brands. Therefor the NH only dealers get more tractors, faster.

The NH & Kubota dealer was so swayed towards Kubota that when I told him that he could sell me a TC18 for less than a B1700, he didn't believe me, so we went to his desk and he did the numbers and was shocked! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif His prices were even higher than my dealer maybe because he is closer to Lansing (larger city, state capital).

Honestly, after reading the previous versions of this board, when it was Kubota only I was really swayed towards Kubota, I even had the wife convinced that I was buying an Orange tractor. When I got prices and really started looking at the specs, the dealers, etc., I went BLUE and feel that FOR ME it was the best buy! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ which Kubota #28  
JimBinMI, proper trailer towing is almost as complex a topic as tractors. All the pickup manufacturers have charts showing maximum "recommended" trailer weights, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), axle weight ratings, Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR - truck and trailer), and it's based not only whether it's a 1/2 ton, 3/4, or 1 ton, but the combination of engine size, which transmission, differential gear ratios, heavy duty suspensions, heavy duty cooling, auxilliary transmission coolers, load distributing hitch platforms, 5th wheel hitches, brakes, battery and alternator capacities, etc., etc. The last I knew, the federal recommendation was to have trailer brakes for any trailer that weighs 40% or more of the towing vehicle's weight. Like most topics, pretty simple after a little time and experience, but not so simple for a novice. And if you ever buy a truck for towing, you'll find that the salesmen frequently know very little about the topic. The worst I found was a young salesman showing me a new pickup truck and when I asked which engine it had, he said it was a V-8. When I asked which one, he didn't know Ford made more than one.

Bird

/ which Kubota #29  
stvman,

Almost forgot, someone on this board, I honestly can't remember who, private e-mailed me that he visited a NH & Kubota dealer that said he sold them 50/50. Don't know where in the country this was, this information seems to be hard to get ahold of, it might be nice to know how many tractors that each manufacturer sold. What if we all found out that Cub Cadet was selling more compacts than anyone else, would that change buying habits of this board, I don't know. I do know that Kubota is a very smart company, they saw a nitch and met customer demand for a quality product. I believe that New Holland with the Boomer series has stepped up to the plate very well and John Deere has a nice series of 4000's too.

I think that with Kubota's BX series, you should see New Holland and John Deere coming out with something to compete with it soon, it must be a money maker for Kubota if this board is any indication of sales.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ which Kubota #30  
Bird,

I know a little about towing, I've towed a 27' travel trailer for a few thousand miles over the last 5 years.
I don't call that a lot of experience, when I said a little, I meant it. I've driven Motor homes with tow vehicles. Even crossed the might Mackinaw Bridge with the travel trailer too, cross winds are real fun! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I have a '95 GMC 1/2 ton 5.7 liter, 3.73 rear end and it's only rated to 6,500 lbs. It's kinda pretty because it is also a stepside, extended cab, Z-71 off-road.

I used to own a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 liter 6 cyl. I just love it when people advertise this with a V-6 when it's a straight 6 with great torque! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif I pulled my trailer with that for about 3 months and it did an awesome job but looked awful small up front, got a lot of looks. The trailer is aluminum frame and is only 4,380 lbs dry.

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!