Where's the birds?

/ Where's the birds? #11  
I put feed in the feeder first of November. Feeder holds about 4 gallons. That fill and 1 other lasted less than a week each. Bought some bird feed from WalMart. That feed sat in feeder for 3 weeks. Finally decided to thow it out and get some fresh feed from TSC. That feed is only down about 1/4 after a week. Have no idea why birds are not feeding like they were earlier.
The 50 lbs of feed from WalMart that I threw out in field. Is being eaten by deer every night.

/ Where's the birds? #12  
We have a feeder that holds a gallon of sunflower seeds and it only lasts about two days until we have to refill it. We have lots of cardinals, woodpeckers (red headed and downy), titmouses, chickadees, vireos, a few robins, bluejays, and others I've probably missed.

/ Where's the birds?
Maybe it is just the lack of snow but I don't see them out in the fields either.

Harry K

/ Where's the birds? #14  
We have starlings flocking over the last week or so, as they normally do in October. I imagine they stayed later because there was abundant food this year, or it's about to turn colder than a well digger's a#$!:D

/ Where's the birds? #15  
We have a feeder that holds a gallon of sunflower seeds and it only lasts about two days until we have to refill it. We have lots of cardinals, woodpeckers (red headed and downy), titmouses, chickadees, vireos, a few robins, bluejays, and others I've probably missed.
We normally get all those plus a flock of Doves. Not the last month. :confused:

/ Where's the birds? #16  
Have been feeding year round for several years now. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ALL THE BIRDS????????

Usually this time of year am filling the feeders pretty much every day, if not more. In the past years, cardinals, jays, finches of various types, sparrows, and raptors hanging around to get their victim.

This year, the feeders will need refilling perhaps once a week or a bit more. NO cardinals that were here all spring and summer, no jays, totally no finches or siskins, no sparrows......WHAT IS GOING ON?????????

Anyway, sure saves on the feed as the price of sunflower seed has totally become rediculous at $28 per bag at TSC. I mix regular seed with sunflower at a 4 sunflower to 1 seed ratio with pretty good results for attracting most species.............

I do wonder the WHYs of what is going on...........God bless........Dennis

Last edited:
   / Where's the birds? #17  
This was a very heavy seed and fruit year up here in the northeast so I expect that's why there are less birds around. In all my life I've never seen so many apples, berries, cones, grapes, grasses etc so food is in abundance out there.

Agree on the price of sunflower, it's been bid way up as a commodity and it's nuts now. I love feeding sunflower and peanuts mixed but the price has caused me to cut back a bit.

/ Where's the birds? #18  
I guess we have a light crop of birds here too? See a few out in the grass? Bird seed Big white bag---jumped at our TSC...25lbs. now for $6.99 a bag. , WAS $8.99 for 35#..Sale price $7.00 a bag. Guess those guys gotta have a little extra money too?

/ Where's the birds? #19  
I haven't noticed either way about the birds ( I have to get outside more), but I did notice that there are no bats here anymore as of last year. mosquitos are really bad now.

/ Where's the birds? #20  
We had bats until about mid November, I don't know if they hibernate or fly south. I had a yard full of snow birds yesterday.