Where's the birds?

/ Where's the birds? #1  

turnkey4099

Elite Member
I put up my feeders a couple weeks ago. Realized shortly that there is no activity at them and now I can't recall seeing _any_ bird anywhere for a long time.

Normal here is feeders go up and a day later there is a crowd around them.

I talked to SIL in Kamloops BC yesterday. She said she had a lot of them at first but hardly any now.

Harry K

/ Where's the birds? #2  
Not much activity here in NH, but we also do not have any snow on the ground as of today(all melted for the global warming crowd).
There are some chickadees and juncos around but they are still feeding off the ground, which I think is better for them.

/ Where's the birds? #3  
Filled mine at the end of the summer and after two months it was all still there. I shook it out for the ducks and geese. Will try refilling again just to see, but yea nothing as far as birds like normal:(

/ Where's the birds? #4  
......massing for an attack at an undisclosed location......

...chirp chirpchirp

/ Where's the birds? #5  
I feed year round and have lots of birds. I think I have some woodpeckers that have never even tried to find a bug, let the suet bag get empty and they will congregate around the porch almost like telling me to get on the stick. I have some chickadees that will land on the feeder while I am filling it.

/ Where's the birds? #6  
I downloaded iBird Pro2 app on my new Kindle Fire last week. It has good quality recordings of all the birds. Birders use the program to call out to birds when out in the field.

I stuck it out my window the first day and pushed the Robin call button. Thirty seconds later, two Robins showed up. Wanted to know who was in their neighborhood I guess. Gives a new perspective on the word "tweet". I tweeted to the Robins and they tweeted back.

You might try that. :)

/ Where's the birds? #7  
No real winter yet, here in Central New York, has the birds still feeding in the hedgerows and fields. We still have flocks of robins visiting the lawns for a snack. Feeders are out and filled waiting for the arrival of old man winter.

/ Where's the birds? #8  
I put up my feeders a couple weeks ago. Realized shortly that there is no activity at them and now I can't recall seeing _any_ bird anywhere for a long time.

Normal here is feeders go up and a day later there is a crowd around them.

I talked to SIL in Kamloops BC yesterday. She said she had a lot of them at first but hardly any now.

Harry K

I'm about 100km ESE of Kamloops and have what seems like more birds than ever at our feeders. We were going through sacks of seed until we figured out a week ago that the deer were coming in and shaking the seeds out of the feeders. Shows our dog is getting old. We bring the feeders in for the night now but still go through lots of seed.

It's entertaining to watch the different birds and to notice how the call goes out as soon as we put out the feeder.

I have attached a couple of photos showing how resourceful they can be. We have small summer feeders that we hoped would stop some larger birds wasting half. They flick out the seeds they don't want to "high grade" for the others. The yellow-headed blackbird was resourceful--quite the acrobat. The pictures are poor quality because my wife called for me to see what the bird was doing and I snapped the photos through the window.

Ouch--I hope he didn't injure his groin! :)

Attachments

• Home_Gardens_House_etc 001.JPG
    Home_Gardens_House_etc 001.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Home_Gardens_House_etc 002.jpg
    Home_Gardens_House_etc 002.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 108
   / Where's the birds? #9  

Attachments

• TheBirds.jpg
    TheBirds.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 66
   / Where's the birds? #10  
We have a lot of birds on our feeders: Chickadees, Downy Woodpecker, Hairy Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Goldfinches, Slate Coloured Juncos, Morning Doves and Bluejays. These are pretty much our standard for the winter. We don't get any Cardinals unfortunately as we don't have the right type of forest around us.