Where Does Your "Handle" Come From?

/ Where Does Your "Handle" Come From? #81  
I used to be thinner...
That's a over simplification, I remember from a other thread your story where Slowpoke came from, it was a good story, I expected you to share that one again... do you have a picture of that offroad truck?

/ Where Does Your "Handle" Come From? #82  
That's a over simplification, I remember from a other thread your story where Slowpoke came from, it was a good story, I expected you to share that one again... do you have a picture of that offroad truck?
Now you got my curiosity spiked. :D

/ Where Does Your "Handle" Come From? #83  
I always seem to glitch when it comes time to dream up a username.

The roads where our property is located were mostly given Civil War names.

Things like Vicksburg, Gettysburg Ln, Stonewall Trail, Jefferson Davis etc. I'm sure some of them would cause a woke soul to blow a gasket.

I simply borrowed the street name that we are on only to discover it was taken and had to add the MF1760 which is the model of our tractor.

We have dual road frontage where we surround the guy on the corner, but I didn't care much for that road's name.

/ Where Does Your "Handle" Come From? #84  
Ok, ok, I give,

I think this is the post you referred to:

Actually, I got that nickname from the off road club I was in back in AZ. I had a 64 Willy's CJ, mostly stock, mild lift, lockers, 5.38 gears, winch that was only used to pull out others it seemed. I was usually the last one in line on the trail runs. The "kids" with their gee-whizz-bang-rigs going all "airborne commando" would fly up and down the trails, make fun of my old rig on their way flying by, and be sitting there somewhere up the trail, broken, and waiting for help to patch it back together when I'm come rolling up to help them.

Or if it wasn't much of a trail, I would be in my '74 3/4 ton Dodge, stock suspension, sure grips, 4.10's, 440/auto. Same story though, all the "kids" would whizz around, up and down the trails and have to sit there once they broke down, and wait for me to come up and help them (recovery, tools, compressor, welder, etc) to patch them back enough they could limp to the trail head and we could trailer it home.

I was usually the last one up the trail. I almost never picked up more than one tire at a time, and I always made it without breaking anything. And I always stopped and helped the broken ones piece their rigs together enough to get back to pavement. I would mostly go "slow" due to solid axle and leaf sprung suspensions and the desire to not whizz blood when we were done or break spring perches or shocks off. Launching a 7000 lb big block Dodge airborne was not my idea of a smart move.

Unless we were going somewhere close, I usually flat towed the Willy's behind my Dodge (had lock out hubs front and rear so I could flat tow it at highway speeds with the 5.38 gears), so I had plenty of recovery gear on hand, worst case it was back at the trail head where I would leave the truck.

As far as pics go, I was still in my "slide film" days, so I've digitized very few of them since then. But here's a couple from when I rebuilt the 440 in my truck:

74 Dodge.jpg

Fresh 440 going in truck.jpg

My fresh built 440.jpg

Bored .030 over, 11:1 pistons, "906" heads converted to unleaded, .474 lift hyd cam, Edlbrock intake, 750 afb carb, headers and 3" dual exhaust. 4.10 gears, auto trans (no overdrive) got 6 mpg driving it like a there was an egg on the gas pedal. Would still smoke all 4 tires in 4wd Hi on pavement (only did that once, to see if it would, kind of hard on the front driveshaft to be honest).

I think I had it to a buck thirty once (130 mph) chasing a Porsche on the Loop 101).

Last edited:
   / Where Does Your "Handle" Come From?
Ok, ok, I give,

I think this is the post you referred to:

Actually, I got that nickname from the off road club I was in back in AZ. I had a 64 Willy's CJ, mostly stock, mild lift, lockers, 5.38 gears, winch that was only used to pull out others it seemed. I was usually the last one in line on the trail runs. The "kids" with their gee-whizz-bang-rigs going all "airborne commando" would fly up and down the trails, make fun of my old rig on their way flying by, and be sitting there somewhere up the trail, broken, and waiting for help to patch it back together when I'm come rolling up to help them.

Or if it wasn't much of a trail, I would be in my '74 3/4 ton Dodge, stock suspension, sure grips, 4.10's, 440/auto. Same story though, all the "kids" would whizz around, up and down the trails and have to sit there once they broke down, and wait for me to come up and help them (recovery, tools, compressor, welder, etc) to patch them back enough they could limp to the trail head and we could trailer it home.

I was usually the last one up the trail. I almost never picked up more than one tire at a time, and I always made it without breaking anything. And I always stopped and helped the broken ones piece their rigs together enough to get back to pavement. I would mostly go "slow" due to solid axle and leaf sprung suspensions and the desire to not whizz blood when we were done or break spring perches or shocks off. Launching a 7000 lb big block Dodge airborne was not my idea of a smart move.

Unless we were going somewhere close, I usually flat towed the Willy's behind my Dodge (had lock out hubs front and rear so I could flat tow it at highway speeds with the 5.38 gears), so I had plenty of recovery gear on hand, worst case it was back at the trail head where I would leave the truck.

As far as pics go, I was still in my "slide film" days, so I've digitized very few of them since then. But here's a couple from when I rebuilt the 440 in my truck:

View attachment 831927

View attachment 831928

View attachment 831929
I'm a huge fan of the old Dodges. Wouldn't happily buy anything newer than 1993. I've owned 4, all from 1989 to 1992. Can't find them here anymore. Not without a fat wallet anyway.

/ Where Does Your "Handle" Come From? #87  
Yeah, I used to be a die hard mopar guy, cars and trucks. 60's - 70's though.

The "deal" I made with Mrs Slim when we moved up here to ND in 2011 was that I had to sell that black power wagon before we moved, but she would let me buy a new truck once we were settled up here. There are many times I still miss it. But the new truck is nice too (2012 F250). Truth is it makes almost as much power as my modified 440, and gets double the gas mileage no matter how I'm driving it. Plus the heater and defroster work (old Dodge didn't, but it was Phoenix, and even in N AZ, the heat coming in through the firewall from that big block was more than enough to stay warm in the cab.

/ Where Does Your "Handle" Come From? #88  
Well, Slowpoke Slim, your story is far away the best.

I always thought I wanted an early 70’s Dodge truck with a 440. I talked to an old stock car racer years ago who had one and he said “no you don’t “. The new ones are so much better. His name was Don White. He had a car out back he raced that was a 74 Charger but started life as a 70 Superbird or Daytona.

/ Where Does Your "Handle" Come From? #90  
Mine is my name, and my first computer username. Company I worked at long long time ago was pretty easygoing about usernames.

Was one of the very early members here before it was TBN; was a Kubota forum originally. It was very small at the time, and a lot of us used our names. Back then, sometimes it would takes days to get replies, compared to second or minutes these days. I think there was only 40 or 50 members at the time('97/98 timeframe).