Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home?

/ Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home? #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
We went to Mexico last week for vacation (Cabo). While there, I recalled a friend who is always chomping on a cigar (I don't smoke). I realized I might be able to find some Cuban cigars there....and did.

Knowing there is/was an embargo on Cuban things, I looked it up on the internet and found some specific comments stating that it is illegal to bring Cuban cigars into the USA. I ALSO read that it was OK to bring them into the USA if for personal consumption AND you did not buy them directly in Cuba, implying that if bought in Mexico, for personal consumption, you could bring them in.

So I bought a couple long ones for him....then the day before we left, I bought a handful of them and literally stuffed them into my shirt pocket.

Working our way home, get to customs. Guy had been processing people in the line (but interestingly stopped and chatted with us which was a bit odd)

Basic commentary was:

"Anything to declare?"

Yeah, we have:
1. Some wooden arts/crafts that we bought (think candy dish)
2. T-shirts, couple hats
3. Some cigars
4. Several units of Vanilla

To which he muttered something that I didn't understand. He pulls his mask down and says "and $10,000 cash on your person? HAHAHAHAHAHA"

I had no clue what he meant by that, was he serious or what to make of it..... so I said something stupid like my $10,000 cash is in the sun-visor of my car" and he waived us on. Keep in mind, I had the cigars in my pocket at that moment in time.

We walked on presuming that he wasn't the actual person who would care about any cigars.... OR, he might have flagged us for when we go back through the scanners, they know to pull us aside.... so I was still ready to have the discussion.

I might add.... I was totally fine if it was a violation to bring them home, to toss them ($200) I wasn't out to break any laws but, I couldn't find anything consistent with what the (current) laws are.

Then it dawned on me...

What if it is LEGAL to bring them in, he might have been horsing around with me for some strange reason. He didn't horse around with anyone in front of us and there was a pack of people behind us to be wasting time horsing around. I don't know what to make of his stupidity.

What if it is ILLEGAL to bring them in. He might have thought I was kidding about them. After all, what moron is going to intentionally break the law and spew out that fact to him at first opportunity? He might have thought that "I" was joking about having them, to which his response back was "do you have your $10,000 cash on your person to pay your fines?" hahahahahaha With him not realizing that I was being totally serious and they were in my pocket as I was speaking to him.

So I got them home and delivered to my friend who was VERY appreciative. I still have no idea if I violated anything or not.

Anyone know the facts?

/ Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home? #2  
I know one thing, the custom agents I recall had no sense of humor; in fact, we were advised not to kid around with them.

/ Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home? #3  
I've been to many countries. Just act like you know what you're doing. I have several big Cuban cigar tins. I keep tools in them now.

/ Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home? #4  
It was 1975. We had driven out of Alaska in our Datsun 2000 sports car. It was the most uncomfortable trip I've ever made. Going out the ALCAN. Coming back was no piece of cake either.

On our return - we made an extended drive so that we could get to the Canada to Alaska border crossing( Beaver Creek) before it closed for the day.

I was young - I was tired. The border agents asked - "do you have anything to declare". I could not believe he would ask this. We were in a small sports car - no where to hide anything other than a change of clothes.

So ...... I said - " yes, there is a davenport in the trunk". Four hours later - after tearing everything off/out of the car, except the engine. We were allowed to pass on into Alaska.

I think my wife would have caused me serious bodily injury - if she had the chance.

/ Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home? #5  
Another story. The wife and I belonged to the Spokane chapter of the Harley Davidson club. We joined the group making a trip into Canada. About fifteen of us - all on Harleys.

At the USA/Canada border - the leader of this pack rolled across the yellow line - into Canada and racked off his pipes. Fortunately - we were near the rear of the pack. I told the wife to get back on the bike. We immediately turned around and headed back home.

I learned later, at a club meeting, the entire group was detained for three hours while several border agents went thru everything on every person and every bike.

Folks tend to forget - Canada IS a foreign country. And they don't like loud, obnoxious bikers any better than the LEO's in the USA.

/ Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home? #6  
$10,000 is the amount of cash that you are allowed to cross the border without declaring. You can take more but will have to declare and provide proof of where it was acquired legally. It’s supposedly to stop large money trafficking.

If you get caught with $250k without declaring it they will seize the money. He made a “joke” to see how you would react and if you became nervous.

/ Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home? #7  
Friend of mine and a group of his friends had been to Mexico, and were stopped at the border. They were asked where they had been and what they had done. One of the girls said something to the effect that "They were Russian spies, and were returning with what they came for". He said they were there for a looooong time!

/ Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home? #8  
they don’t really care if you have less then a box. If they find an actual cigar box, they may investigate.

easy way to get them through customs is to just take the bands off, no way to know they are Cuban then. If you do buy a box, ask for a non Cuban box and just remove the bands, put in the non Cuban box and you should be good. Done this a few times.

we were in spain, at a cigar store, I was asking the guy how much for this box…too expensive. Sorry, what about this one. My wife was standing there doing the money conversion. I really didn’t want to spend more than $5 per cigar. Anyway, box number three was a decent price so I bought them.

back at the hotel I lit one up and it was amazing…couldn’t believe they were only about $5 each. I look at the receipt and the wife messed up the conversion…they were almost $20 each…lol. Well worth it.

/ Cuban Cigars, can you bring them home? #10  
We use to come "outside" from Alaska to visit our folks every three years or so. NEVER noticed that any of the border guards had much of a sense of humor. I've not been back to Canada since it now requires a passport.

Speaking of cigars. We use to smoke these NASTY Mexican cigars when we lived in AK. Looked similar to a dog turd. Very good at keeping the mosquitos away. We never theorized on what they must have been made of.