Oil & Fuel Where are these fluids coming from?

/ Where are these fluids coming from?
No way the top hose is that hot. I can rest my hand on it for several seconds at a time. Hard to tell if water is getting pushed into the overflow; there's so much vibration I can't tell if it's overflow water or just bubbles from all the shaking. I'll pull the hose out next time I'm over there and see what happens.

/ Where are these fluids coming from? #32  
the part number for a new sensor in the FX24D parts manual is 124250-49351. when I look that number up on Hoye's sight it shows to be one for a warning light instead of a gauge. "If" you decide to spend the $22 + shipping for a new sensor be sure and question them about being the correct one for your FX24D.

As far as I know, the light is fine. It's the temperature gauge, just below the fuel gauge, that's redlined.

/ Where are these fluids coming from? #34  
the sensor I am referring to is for the temperature gauge. What light is fine??

the sensor I am referring to is for the temperature gauge. What light is fine??

I think one - or both - of us is confused. My current problem (I think) is that the temperature gauge on the dashboard is redlining after just a few minutes of run time. When I read your post above, I thought you were talking about replacing a sensor for a warning light - which isn't, as far as I know, one of my current problems. Are you saying I need to replace the sensor anyway?

/ Where are these fluids coming from? #36  
Your temperature gauge has a sensor, that is what I am talking about. I do not know whether it is bad or not. Just going by all your posts it would seem your engine may not be over heating. Therefore you could be getting a false gauge reading because of a bad sensor. Not being there and being confused by the type written conversation I just don't want to cause you to spend money on something not needed.

I spent a couple of hours out there today doing some light work with the tractor. I waited until the temperature gauge had redlined and then stuck my thermometer into the radiator overflow tank. Temperature was right around 165F. No water was coming out of the overflow hose into the tank. I assumed all was well and went about my business.

After an hour, hour-and-a-half, I throttled back to slow idle to let her cool down before I quit for the day. I spent a few minutes picking up some trash, grabbed a bottle of water, etc. - was gone no more than 5 or 6 minutes. When I went back out to shut her down and head home, it was sputtering a little and the radiator was steaming. Turns out the overflow hose had come detached at the radiator end. I quickly shut it down, and then pushed the overflow hose back onto the radiator end-nipple before I headed home for the day.

I would've measured the overflow tank water temp again, but somewhere during my day's work I dropped the thermometer and couldn't find it again. Thoughts:
  • Could the overflow hose be blocked?
  • If not, why would it suddenly come loose?
  • I still don't know if the tractor is *actually* overheating or not.
  • I'm leaning toward replacing the temp sensor 1st, because it's cheap and easy to get to.
  • If that doesn't solve the problem, I guess the thermostat will be next?

/ Where are these fluids coming from? #38  
Sounds sort of like the radiator was blowing hard and blew the hose off if steam was coming out.

Great! You have no idea how scared I was that you were going to say, "That was your block melting," or something similarly bad. When I go back out there tomorrow (being between jobs does have its advantages), I'll make sure the hose is unobstructed, and then put a new hose clamp on it.

Is 165F about right for the water temp?

Sounds like the thermostat is opening. Parts drawing for it shown. Reference 3/3-1.

If the gauge red lined that top hose should be over 220F. Does it push any water into the overflow when the gauge is red lined?

A-HA! Somehow I missed this when you posted it originally. I did, in fact, take the top two bolts off the two-bolt flange and remove it (those are the only two bolts I can actually reach). I *could* be misremembering, but I am almost 100% sure there was NO thermostat down inside there when I pulled the hose+flange aside. (I didn't think to look up into the flange.)

This may be a stupid question, but will it be obvious if it's there? It won't be way down in side the water pump?

EDIT: Okay, well, quoting loses some of its impact when it doesn't include the attachment in the original post. This was the post where you posted the page from the exploded parts diagram showing where the thermostat should be.