Oil & Fuel Where are these fluids coming from?

/ Where are these fluids coming from? #1  

adt2

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar FX24
I finally got around to removing the hood panels and inspecting the innards on the right-hand side of my F24. Unfortunately, I'm no closer to understanding where the dripping oil is coming from. In the attached image, I've got fluid dripping from three different places: near where the blue tube is sticking out in the center of the image (this appears to be oil); off the bottom of the electrical connector just to the left of the blue tube; and down the housing just left of the electrical connector (these last two appear to be fluid, not oil - maybe diesel? not sure).

My chief concern is the oil. If somebody could help me pinpoint that, I'd be grateful.

IMG_20141130_151346.jpg

/ Where are these fluids coming from? #2  
hard to tell but that looks like a cover almost like a timing chain cover. I am too lazy to go pull the diagrams from Hoye as i am at work. I am sure winston will look for you he is good about that :)

/ Where are these fluids coming from? #3  
Clean the area real good and begin looking higher. What is the blue tube? You should be able to smell diesel.

/ Where are these fluids coming from?
I've no idea what the blue tube is...it was there when I bought the tractor. I didn't have time to disassemble any more than I'd already done this weekend, but I'll work my way higher this weekend and see what I can find.

I've been living with this for a few months now, just keeping an eye on the oil level and the gauges as necessary. Had to use the tractor a bunch yesterday and today to backfill a trench, and after about 15 minutes of use today, I noticed the temp gauge on the dash was maxed out. I parked the tractor and started investigating.

Long story short, I never did figure out why the temp reading spiked, but I did finally spend the time to get the side panels and the top panel (hood?) off (which involved too many bolts and actually having to remove the muffler; genius design there). Once I had the panels off, I re-installed the muffler and fired her up to see what I could see. Couple of observations, complete with photos:
  • There is a hose attached to the top of the engine, near the oil fill cap, that runs to nowhere (photo 1 and photo 2); should this hose be connected to something, or is it meant to just flop around?
  • After several minutes, oil begins to stream out of the plug/cap/thing with the short blue hose on the lower right of the motor (photo 3); if you look carefully you can see it coming out in a thin stream, below the blue tubing.
  • My 12-year-old pointed out that there's a similar plug/cap/thing in photo 1; it has electrical wires attached. The one in photo 3 does not have wires attached, but there are loose wires nearby.

Photo 1: Unknown tube (left) and blue tubing with electrical connection (right)

Photo 2: Business end of unknown tube from photo 1

Photo 3: Blue tubing & leaking oil (left) and dangling wires (right) (Note that the leaking oil is not coming OUT of the blue tubing; it's coming out of the fitting the blue tubing is sticking out of. You can click on the photo for a larger version, and then zoom in close to see.)

Any ideas?

Last edited:
   / Where are these fluids coming from? #7  
The tubing is the crankcase vent. It is just as it should be, open to vent the crankcase.

The leak at the blue wire is the oil pressure sending unit. 121252-39450

No idea about the loose wire. What kind of terminal is on the end of it? I can't tell from the picture.

There's no terminal on the end of it... It's literally two exposed wires that appear to have come detached from something.

/ Where are these fluids coming from? #9  
One of the wires go to the Oil pressure switch. Ground one out to the frame and see if the oil light comes on. May have to check to see if the Oil light is even good. The switch on your tractor may not be the correct one. Or worked until the blue tube broke? They may have used the blue tube to plug a broken Org. switch??

I was sitting at a school event for my son when I got the info above, so I went ahead and ordered a replacement switch from Hoye. I figure for $10, if it's wrong I haven't lost much. If I make it over there tomorrow, I'll spend some time figuring out where the loose wires came from. The oil light works, for what it's worth; it just came on a couple of weeks ago alerting me that oil level was low (REAL low).

There's nothing in Hoye's Shop Notes about wiring. ("Install with a 6 sided socket. If you install with a wrench you will distort the case and cause it to leak or do weird things. Use teflon paste or tape and don't over-tighten! It just needs to be snug.") I do have another question, though - is oil going to shoot out of there when I remove the old one? Do I need to drain the oil first, or just have a rag at the ready?