When the quick attach doesn't hold

/ When the quick attach doesn't hold #11  
The operator had a maximum load and he bounced it. Operator error. I'm not surprised something failed.

/ When the quick attach doesn't hold #12  
I have always gotten nervous when dumping an implement that's on the ssqa. Seems like it is almost designed to fall out, but it's never happened to me.
Me neither. I'd imagine the key is to make sure everything's properly seated & latched.

/ When the quick attach doesn't hold #13  
Probably not beyond repairing the hydraulic lines that broke. I've never felt comfortable with that SS attach. I can see how that can easily happen. You would never see the global attach do that.
Yeah, no kidding, I'll stink to my Yanmar pin on. I can pin on a new implement in under a minute.

/ When the quick attach doesn't hold #14  
The operator had a maximum load and he bounced it. Operator error. I'm not surprised something failed.
Plus the had the load hanging from the backing plate. I whole system would have been more forgiving of operator error if the mounting plate had been vertical instead of tipped forward.
Kudos to whomever made the grapple, it didn't lose it's grip even after being detached and depressurized.

/ When the quick attach doesn't hold #15  
I saw no operator error.
Something on the QA was wrong, QA adjustment or the attachment wasn't fitting properly.
I've run skid loader for decades. Attachments don't just come off like that unless something is fitting/latching to loose, bent or wrong

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / When the quick attach doesn't hold #16  
I have always gotten nervous when dumping an implement that's on the ssqa. Seems like it is almost designed to fall out, but it's never happened to me.
I feel the same way about my pallet forks, of all things. I have JDQA, and it's normally super-secure, nearly zero chance of ever failing. But the way it was implemented by some probably-Chinese manufacturer on my pallet fork frame appears a little less secure than my OEM Deere/Frontier implements.

Last edited:
   / When the quick attach doesn't hold #17  
I saw no operator error.
Something on the QA was wrong, QA adjustment or the attachment wasn't fitting properly.
I've run skid loader for decades. Attachments don't just come off like that unless something is fitting/latching to loose, bent or wrong
(y) I always lift and look after locking to make sure the pins are through the plate.

/ When the quick attach doesn't hold #18  
I saw no operator error.
I too have operated SS for decades and own one now. If the failure was caused by faulty attachment, pins not fully seated or overload and bounce as I suggested then it's operator error.
I'm just saying, if you break the handle on a hammer it's not the hammers fault. If you bend a bucket or drop an attachment it's operator error because the operator should know and work within the limits of his equipment. There was a bounce and that is when the attachment came off. The bounce and the load and attachment angle, as mentioned by another member, were all contributing factors the operator put into play.

/ When the quick attach doesn't hold #19  
triple ouch and had nothing to do with the SSQA at all. He popped a hydraulic line (look at the fluid squirting out.....)

I've never did that on an y of my tractors (knock on wood or my wooden head) but I did do just that with the tri axle roll off I used to pull for the company I retired from. I was hoisting a full 40 yard box of heavy gauge scrap metal that I was taking to the mill for making steel sheet with (I worked for the company that not only made the steel from scrap in remelt electric furnaces and then rolled it and resold it to customers ((They are in Butler, Indiana, Steel Dynamics / Heidtman Steel). I had the full (and very heavy box almost up on the trailer and one of the mast lift cylinders, the hose let go right at the fitting and it immediately dumped about 100 gallons of hydraulic oil in seconds, was a straight up stream about 50 feet in the air and drenched everything, me included. Had to call the shop and have them make up a new hose and fittings and those hoses that lift the boom up are 3" in diameter but the shop had a Airquip crimping machine and the hose in stock so they made up a new hose and fittings and brought it out and installed it and they brought out a couple 55 gallon drums of hydraulic fluid to refill my holding tank on the back of the tractor.

Where I dumped the scrap at in Butler I always dropped the air on the trailer before I hoisted a box up and rolled it back so I could open the door and dump it. I saw more than one outfit get laid over on it's side, tractor and trailer when part of the load stuck in the box and caused the load to get unbalanced. When you lay one over on it's side, it destroys not only the trailer but it twists the frame on the tractor as well so they are both junk at that point. Never did that but I was always cognizant about where and how I dumped and made sure where I was dumping it was level and always dropped the air on the trailer and the tractor. Those were the days and I really don't miss them at all and for a certain moderator on here, Heidtman and Steel Dynamics co owned Omni Source fyi. I'm sure living near Fort Wayne he knows who that is.... I not only hauled scrap for them but I hauled all their steel making (rolling and slitting equipment as well). had a 50 ton Cozad 4 axle detachable with a flip axle on the back I hauled their equipment on plus I pulled a 48 foot 4 axle covered wagon and delivered steel all over Michigan, Ohio and Indiana. Was a great job and a great retirement. I fully retired at 58 and I don't miss it at all. One of my very good friends and hunting buddies was the plant manager in Butler, Indiana. He just retired 2 weeks ago btw.

had a lot of fun, some close calls and never lost a load, thank the Lord for that and the last 2 years I worked there I wasn't driving much as I was recruited as the safety and compliance officer for the company so I got to ride shotgun for 60 drivers and they all hated me. Still hauled the equipment but another driver ran the scrap wagon and I didn't haver to deliver any steel either. Just rode around in a company car and agitated drivers and dealt with the insurance carrier and police and DOT when one of them screwed up or had a wreck.

I thought you'd find my story interesting and yes I still hold my Class A CDL with all endorsements on it plus I'm licensed by the State of Michigan and Ohio as a certified instructor for Class 6-8 trucks and I happen to own one of their road tractors and a Timpte 42 foot grain trailer and I haul grain to the elevator for the local farmers. Had a gifted life and a ton of good and not so good experiences.

/ When the quick attach doesn't hold #20  
I too have operated SS for decades and own one now. If the failure was caused by faulty attachment, pins not fully seated or overload and bounce as I suggested then it's operator error.
I'm just saying, if you break the handle on a hammer it's not the hammers fault. If you bend a bucket or drop an attachment it's operator error because the operator should know and work within the limits of his equipment. There was a bounce and that is when the attachment came off. The bounce and the load and attachment angle, as mentioned by another member, were all contributing factors the operator put into play.
Bounce or no bounce that attachment shouldn't have come off unless it wasn't latched down right or fitting to loose.