wheel spacers for BX23S

/ wheel spacers for BX23S #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
Some time ago I read a thread that discussed wheel spacers for the BX23S units. I can't locate that thread anymore, but what I do recall is that someone had noted that a specific automotive wheel spacer was identical, for a lot less money than from the tractor dealerships. I'm just wanting to know what those wheel spacers were so that I could look into it further and possibly order them. Thanks for any details

/ wheel spacers for BX23S #2  
My brother is running chains on his Kubota, I don't know the model. The chains were kllunking on the fenders, I suggested spacers, we checked into it and had some major sticker shock! We went to a local steel yard and bought two chunks of cast iron, then took them to a local guy with a lathe and milling machine to turn them and drill holes for the lug bolts. With the material, machining, and new bolts, he had around $150 invested. No more kllunking.

/ wheel spacers for BX23S #3  
Some time ago I read a thread that discussed wheel spacers for the BX23S units. I can't locate that thread anymore, but what I do recall is that someone had noted that a specific automotive wheel spacer was identical, for a lot less money than from the tractor dealerships. I'm just wanting to know what those wheel spacers were so that I could look into it further and possibly order them. Thanks for any details
Not here, but a thread that should answer your question:

/ wheel spacers for BX23S #4  
Not sure what the wheel spacers go for today (which I referred to in the link I posted today) but a couple years ago I bought 2" spacers like mentioned in that link, for both my BX2200 and my Son in law's BX23S, and they work perfectly. Mine were actually not 2" as I had to go thinner having a MMM. His were 2" since he has no MMM.

In both cases they were well made and included the hardware needed. I think they cost under 60 dollars per set, with shipping, which might have been included in the price as free shipping.

Also, although the BX does not use hubcentric wheels, those spacers were hubcentric, so they could be stacked one upon another to get double the spacing if one wanted to.

/ wheel spacers for BX23S #5  
Bro-Tek. Made in USA. Guaranteed for life. Do not run cheap Chinese spacers on your tractor....

/ wheel spacers for BX23S #6  
Bro-Tek. Made in USA. Guaranteed for life. Do not run cheap Chinese spacers on your tractor....

Using spacers designed for use on a Jeep at highway speeds, on a BX tractor, doesn’t sound risky to me. Quality seemed excellent. Price was right. Why wouldn’t I use them?

/ wheel spacers for BX23S #7  
Using spacers designed for use on a Jeep at highway speeds, on a BX tractor, doesn’t sound risky to me. Quality seemed excellent. Price was right. Why wouldn’t I use them?

LOL

Weren't those spacers priced at like $42 a set to include shipping? Just exactly how much 'quality' do you expect for $42 a set (including shipping)?

Running some POS cheap, untested, no warranty Chinese spacers is your choice. My life is worth more than $42 and I'll stick with U.S. tested/trusted/warranted products.

/ wheel spacers for BX23S #8  
If those "Chinese" spacers are made out of any kind of metal, I'd use them. All they do is take up space, the lug bolts clamp the axle, spacer, and wheel together. They won't wear if they don't move. The clamping force is not going to crush them. What is the concern?

/ wheel spacers for BX23S #9  
If those "Chinese" spacers are made out of any kind of metal, I'd use them. All they do is take up space, the lug bolts clamp the axle, spacer, and wheel together. They won't wear if they don't move. The clamping force is not going to crush them. What is the concern?

LOL, you can't be serious, right? Have you even looked at the picture above of the spacers "that you would use"?

'All they do is take up space'? No, they are ~2" Chinese $35 a set spacers with studs pressed in.

"The lug bolts clamp the axle, spacer, and wheel together". No, the spacers bolt to the tractor hub and the wheels bolt to the spacers.

Do you realize the spacers hold your wheels on your tractor and take up 100% of the vertical and horizontal load? Not only do they accept all normal wheel loads, they accept a greater load as the wheel is then spaced further from the hub than stock.

They don't wear if they don't move? Do yourself a favor and google pics of failed wheel spacers where the studs are pulled out resulting in a catastrophic failure.

I know someone who died when his tractor rolled over on him. My life and health are worth more than $35.

x4SXyJ.jpg

Last edited:
   / wheel spacers for BX23S #10  
Mea Culpa
I have not seen pictures of the wheel spacers you described. Your concerns are valid, I wouldn't use something designed and built like them.
The spacers I am familiar with are just a chunk of iron with an appropriately sized hole for the axle hub and having correctly sized and spaced holes for the lug bolts. I don't know why someone would complicate the design in the manner you describe.