What TV did you watch as a kid?

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #291  
My grandmother had a very old still working, high end TV, that would scan for active channels. This was many years ago. One night I set it to scan and it found analog cell phone transmissions I could hear clearly. My memory was it was on Channel 33, but have since read that it must have been on Channel 83.
At the time, I thought it was interesting that this was illegal. How did anyone pass a law, that made a simple act of tuning, which the TV did automatically, illegal?
Kind of like the old party lines.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #293  
Correction: Donna Douglas (Ellie May)

thanks Larry

Last edited:
   / What TV did you watch as a kid? #294  
My father finally gave in and we got a TV - 1952. He like the Friday night fights. Gillette razor blade company. I also remember - my sister and I were not allowed to touch the TV. So.... I never watched much because the TV was on so my Father or Mother could watch something they enjoyed. I read a whole lot of books and listened to the radio as a kid.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #296  
For those that never heard of Diver Dan. :)

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #298  
My father finally gave in and we got a TV - 1952. He like the Friday night fights. Gillette razor blade company. I also remember - my sister and I were not allowed to touch the TV. So.... I never watched much because the TV was on so my Father or Mother could watch something they enjoyed. I read a whole lot of books and listened to the radio as a kid.
We used to watch Friday night wrestling. We were naive enough to think that they were legit, so some folks got upset when their hero was man handled. If you had a TV in those days, you usually had company on Friday night that invited themselves.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #299  
I've been watching clips on Youtube of a show which was on way too late for me, even as an adult. I never realized what a class act Johnny Carson was and what a great show he put on. He was a great interviewer. He did his homework so that he knew the right questions to ask; and seemed able to put anyone at ease. "Would you please welcome..."
One of the local stations is playing Carson's Tonight Show reruns. They appear to be running in order they ran back in the 80's. The TV show is a history class in some ways. Things that were said, the jokes, etc., just would not get passed the PC police, especially when Richard Pryor was on the show.

Carson was threatened several times and one time he took a bag full of "money" to the drop off location which got the criminals arrested. Can you imagine any celebrity today doing a drop off? Carson was also carrying concealed.

/ What TV did you watch as a kid? #300  
We used to watch Friday night wrestling. We were naive enough to think that they were legit, so some folks got upset when their hero was man handled. If you had a TV in those days, you usually had company on Friday night that invited themselves.
The Great Kabuki...