What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #21  
For a flip up deck your choices are very limited, Kubota F series or a JD front mount or a Grasshopper front mount. No mid mount will have that feature.

The Kubota ZD zero turns don't have flip up decks, but the front axle rotates via a built in screw jack to lift the whole front of the machine. Makes servicing the blades and deck a breeze.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #22  
Get a unit with a good fabricated and deep deck, ZT2800 HST's at minimum and the Kawasaki engines are the best hands down until you get up in the high HP commercial units. Also the bigger the tires the better and make sure the seat is comfortable.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #23  
I think I'm going to upgrade from my riding mower that doesn't cut well. This would be to mow about 1.5ac, including around a lot of trees. I'm probably going to look at 48-54" deck width. I don't need commercial level, but would like something that is still dependable and serviceable.

There are a lot of brands and I know each brand has their various levels of machines. The ground isn't that smooth, so something with a bit of suspension would be nice. From what I've read, most recommend the Kawasaki engines for gas. No interest in electric.

Since you're in CO, you can probably find a good used Walker mower.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #25  
I did not listen to the "enablers" who push commercial grade or used commercial.

Like you, I have an hour of grass to cut. I cut grass 15 times a year. But say you cut it 30 times a year. The "crap" ZT's will last 900 hours. That works out to 30 years.

Unless you are "pushing" the hydros with lots of uphill work and/or towing stuff why do you need a 2000 hour life hydro?

Take the money you save, invest it and buy a new "crap" ZT in 20-30 years. I am in my 70's and will not need another one...YMMV.

Guys talking about putting over 2000 hours on a ZT have different needs than Joe Normal. You have 1.5 acres. Do not listen to advice from someone who is cutting 5 acres. They do not understand your needs.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #26  
I have an Exmark I purchased new in 2006. Built like a tank, and has been used to mow a lot rougher ground than a lawn. Only thing I have done other than regular maintenance, is replace one idler pulley, all spindles are the originals. Hour meter stopped a few years ago at 1100 hrs, havent replaced it yet

negatives, rides like a tank too, no real suspension, other that a suspension seat I installed 10 years ago.
It looks like this thing might outlive me, which is good, but I sure would like one of those budget busting Kubota front deck machines

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #27  
I did not listen to the "enablers" who push commercial grade or used commercial.

Like you, I have an hour of grass to cut. I cut grass 15 times a year. But say you cut it 30 times a year. The "crap" ZT's will last 900 hours. That works out to 30 years.

Unless you are "pushing" the hydros with lots of uphill work and/or towing stuff why do you need a 2000 hour life hydro?

Take the money you save, invest it and buy a new "crap" ZT in 20-30 years. I am in my 70's and will not need another one...YMMV.

Guys talking about putting over 2000 hours on a ZT have different needs than Joe Normal. You have 1.5 acres. Do not listen to advice from someone who is cutting 5 acres. They do not understand your needs.
Wow, I'm an enabler for suggesting a used commercial grade Walker mower?

I've owned a bigbox store mower and on my 1 1/2 acre lawn it lasted about 10 years. My Walker is a 2000 model. I purchased it used 11 years ago and love it.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #28  
As with everything in life.. You always get what you pay for. Buy cheap and weep or buy quality and smile.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #29  
Only thing I 'love' is my wife and my dog. Everything else are just tools and have no feelings what so ever.

/ What to Look for in Zero Turn Mower #30  
but I sure would like one of those budget busting Kubota front deck machines
You got that right. New, they will set you back around 25K. Same with the Deere edition and the Grasshopper as well. None of them are a cheap date by a long shot which is why I bought a used one because in reality, they don't expire in 10 years.

Again, I like the Kubby because it's essentially a B series CUT running backwards. Deere uses Yanmar diesel engines and Grasshopper uses a Kubota diesel in their diesel powered units and Kawasaki V twins in the gas variety. IOt is pretty strange to see the flywheel on an F series hanging out the back instead of inside a bell housing. You have the flywheel out back, then the engine and then the hydrostat and hydraulic pump and then the PTO driveshaft running the deck and the lift arms are out front as well. Mine has auxiliary hydraulics as well though I'll never use them. Has a pair of Pioneer QD's up under the foot rests and a hydraulic lever on the actuator panel. Just like a B series CUT but backwards. No tach, just an hour meter, fuel gage and temp gage along with a switch to turn on the headlight. Does it mow? Damn right it does. It gobbles everything right up no issue.