What to do with a $1.45 gift card?

/ What to do with a $1.45 gift card? #42  
I don't know why, but the $1.45 gift card itself sounds like a nasty joke. So, in theory, you could get a $0.99 or $0.05 gift card too? As for me, I would better forget about it (and the provider too). Personally, I don't like AT&T for its over-confidence. They think they are large enough to forget about customers. Besides, the mobile connection sometimes is really shitty. Ordering of tailored house sign took me 3 times of calling back. What do they think they are? Your $1 gift card is another confirmation that AT&T should get off its high horse.

Last edited:
   / What to do with a $1.45 gift card? #43  
They anticipate that a large percentage will toss or lose it and they get to keep the monies. Don't give them the satisfaction or money and be sure to use it.

/ What to do with a $1.45 gift card? #44  
My challenge is remembering that I have a gift card. I always think about it as I'm driving away from the store, but never when I'm paying for something. I've actually put my debit card in a different spot in my wallet to force me to stop and remember that I have a gift card to use.

/ What to do with a $1.45 gift card? #45  
In many cases the CC handling or processing fees end up costing the merchant a net loss.
I have noticed some merchants actually post a minimum $$ to use CC's.

/ What to do with a $1.45 gift card? #46  
Cc use cost the seller nothing out of pocket, because they have raised the price of product to cover cc fees. They do an accross the board price increase to cover the usage fees. You can not legally charge someone more for using a cc as opposed to cash, but you can charge everyone the same higher price and offer a cash discount.

/ What to do with a $1.45 gift card? #47  
Cc use cost the seller nothing out of pocket, because they have raised the price of product to cover cc fees. They do an accross the board price increase to cover the usage fees. You can not legally charge someone more for using a cc as opposed to cash, but you can charge everyone the same higher price and offer a cash discount.
Can I assume you've never owned a retail establishment?

I consider CC swipe and percentage fees a part of doing business but it is withdrawn from my bank accounts on a daily basis so it IS an out of pocket cost.

Gas stations and many retailers upcharge for CC use and is totally legal.

/ What to do with a $1.45 gift card? #48  
In many cases the CC handling or processing fees end up costing the merchant a net loss.
I have noticed some merchants actually post a minimum $$ to use CC's.
That's why I generally won't put a purchase on a card for > $10.00. I've seen people swipe for a $1.25 cup of coffee, and also seen the store owner give it to them, saying that it's cheaper than paying for the card.
Heck, I usually have that much change in my console.

/ What to do with a $1.45 gift card? #49  
i've moved 8-9 times in the last 12 years, 2 or 3 coast to coast, all solo, all DIY.

I've got boxes i have not unpacked in 10-20 years!

I just opened a box the other day, marked "junk drawer".

I found at least 6-8 gift cards for restaurants. i'm pretty sure many of the restaurants are closed.

/ What to do with a $1.45 gift card? #50  
Can I assume you've never owned a retail establishment?

I consider CC swipe and percentage fees a part of doing business but it is withdrawn from my bank accounts on a daily basis so it IS an out of pocket cost.

Gas stations and many retailers upcharge for CC use and is totally legal.
No, I owned a business and had to pass a course on what’s legal and what’s not legal. Gas stations give a discount for cash, not an increase for credit.

look it up if you don’t believe me. You can’t charge a higher price for credit or finance. You can charge interest and finance charge, but item cost can’t be increased. Its all legal ease.

when a store marks a item price, they take their cost to use credit cards and adds it to every item in stock. So they actually make more money from cash customers.