What to buy?

/ What to buy? #21  
Any chance there are any 4500 4x4s left out there new? What's the price difference between the 4530 and 5500 4x4? 6000 4x4? or even a 4110? How bout any of the above slightly used?
Just some things to kick around. Gave the 6000 a bath today and the neighbor said that thing still looks almost new when that mud is gone.

/ What to buy? #22  
Hey Mike,

I'll throw in my two cents. My first Mahindra was a 4505DI 2WD without a loader. I bought it new in 1999. That tractor served me well. After getting stuck around the pond too many times, I decided to upgrade to a 4WD. Before I purchased, I did a lot of reading on TBN. EVERYONE said I would be pleased with a 4WD tractor and the loader is a must. So, in October of 2007, I purchased a new 4530 4WD. I'm racking up hours on it and the 4WD allows me to do dirtwork quicker. I also never knew how many chores could be done quicker, easier and more fun with a loader. The 4530 is heavy and pushes around the woods instead of the woods pushing around a light weight tractor. Although very satisfied with the 4530 so far, there's been times that I wished I had gone bigger. In my opinion, if finances allow, you'll never regret buying 4WD and bigger.

Mud

/ What to buy? #23  
Hello Mike
Just want to say that based on the posts here and you wanting to move logs and push snow, go for the 4 wd. if you want a mahindra made tractor look at the 4530 and the 5500 4wds with loader. there is probably only less than 5 % difference in cost between these 2 tractors new and the 5500 has 20% more power with 4 cylinders versus 3 cyl.
if you are deciding to buy new versus used, consider the warranty, the differences in interest rate and insurance on the tractors for the new. (do a spreadsheet) you will come to the fast conclusion go for the new even for spreads in excess of 5K, between new and used.

if you seriously need to go "substantially" less money and think the 2wd will do the job - look at the 5525 - there will only be a few grand difference with it versus the 3525 with a serious advantage of weight and hp difference.

always go bigger that you think you need because as one spoke of "creep projects". i looked hard at the 4530 and the 5500 4wds, and bought a new 6500 4wd - 10% more money than the other two tractors and look at what i bought in terms of hp and tractor sizes (a beast). no regrets.

for a new tractor make sure you get the skid steer quick disconnects and consider a skid steer bucket with a tooth bar. also a plus on looking at new versus used - if the used one does not have this on its FEL.

all of us want you to be happy. i would look at the financing on a new tractor, do the spreadsheet and buy a little bigger than you think you need. used becomes a good deal when you can get the tractor you need for less than 2/3rds the price of a new one and low hours. I did the research and the calcs.

the mahindra made tractors are all stout tractors.

interested in your decision,
regards,
michelle

/ What to buy? #24  
jwcinpk said:
Any chance there are any 4500 4x4s left out there new?

I seriously doubt it. It's been a few years since they were in the Mahindra lineup.

/ What to buy?
Thanks everyone for your ideas and feedback. Based on a suggestion I read in another thread, I'm thinking of heading to KY and check out the National Farm Machinary Show in Louisville next month. It might save me time given how scattered out Mahindra and other import brands are around here.

Keep your ideas coming. The more expensive tractor options are not gaining support with my lovely bride, so I need more ammo!

/ What to buy? #26  
clarkmike said:
Thanks everyone for your ideas and feedback. Based on a suggestion I read in another thread, I'm thinking of heading to KY and check out the National Farm Machinary Show in Louisville next month. It might save me time given how scattered out Mahindra and other import brands are around here.

Keep your ideas coming. The more expensive tractor options are not gaining support with my lovely bride, so I need more ammo!
Clarkmike,
Take her with you on a test drive and get her to drive it. But be careful, you might not get her off of it.:)
hugs, Brandi

/ What to buy? #27  
jwcinpk said:
Any chance there are any 4500 4x4s left out there new? What's the price difference between the 4530 and 5500 4x4? 6000 4x4? or even a 4110? How bout any of the above slightly used?
Just some things to kick around. Gave the 6000 a bath today and the neighbor said that thing still looks almost new when that mud is gone.
Nope. I bought the last one on 11 November 2003. While it is a great tractor, I wish I had gone the extra $2K and bought the 6000.

/ What to buy? #28  
Clarkmike,

Where in S. Illinois are you?

I'm a big 3525 fan, and although 4WD would be nice at times, I haven't gotten into any situations where I NEEDED it yet. If things are too muddy, I just wait a day or 3, and then go to work... nothing that I do HAS to be done in the mud... it can all wait, and it will. Not to say that the 3525 can't work in the mud, because it can... I just don't.

Also, if you're planning on having a lot of trees on your property, then you can definitely go too big... a 3525 with FEL and a brush hog on the back is nearly 20-22 feet long I'm guessing, and maneuvering around trees with something that long can be a challenge at times... going bigger can make it even tougher.

My 3525 can't even tell that my 5' brushhog is back there, and if a 5 footer is what you think you will need, then the 3525 is PLENTY of tractor. The loader will lift 2500 lbs, and the 3ph is rated to lift 3525 lbs as well... it's quite a capable machine... It just happens to be 2WD.

I went with the 3525 for my semi-hilly ground for the same reasons you stated... the price was right, rugged construction, simple tractor (no fancy un-necessary electronics to quit working in a couple of years), and heavy weight. No regrets yet... although I've only had mine for 6 months so far. And I've got some hills that will make your cheeks pucker. But, I've been around tractors all my life, so I knew what I was getting into, and I've not been disappointed.

Best thing you can do is find a dealer that has the tractor(s) that you're considering in stock and then test drive them, and see if you think they fit into what you envision for the future. Don't discount a 2WD unless you PLAN on playing in the mud all the time. You'd likely be pretty suprised at what a 2WD can do.

/ What to buy?
Brian,

I'm out near Carlyle Lake in Clinton County. I've read your 3525 thread and it looks like you are doing much of the same type work I'll be doing on my property.

The 3525 is a heavy tractor. I've got two waterways and a grassy area around the wetland I need to mow. In fact, I'm considering getting a finishing mower for that area and keeping it very neat. How much of a mess do the tires make in the turf? Like you, there is nothing I need to do any particular day, so waiting until things dry out is not a problem.

Are there any mechanical issues I should be aware of on any of the tractors I'm considering (3525, 3510, 4530)?

thanks,
Mike

/ What to buy? #30  
Mike,

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been pretty busy as of late.

Like you said, the 3525 is a heavy tractor, and with the ag tires on soft ground, it does leave tracks. Actual damage is just as much operator technique as anything else, but making sharp turns on really soft ground will definately do some damage, the front wheels more than the rears. I've never had my loader off of the tractor yet, but removing it will lighten things up quite a bit, as the entire loader weighs around 1400 pounds I think, removing it should take off probably around 1100 or so, just guessing. On dry, solid ground, they're typically not a problem and don't cause any damage to speak of.

If you keep the blades sharp on the 'hog, they can do a fairly nice job of cutting also. I wouldn't use one for my front yard, but for waterways and such, that might be all you need (without seeing what you're talking about).

For finish mowers, what size are you looking for? When I bought mine, I got a 72", just because that's all my old 8N will handle, but I think the 3525 would easily handle a big 8 foot mower. When my KingKutter finish mower finally dies (don't know if it ever will...) I'm going to upgrade to a 7' mower, as that's the biggest I think I can get into my shed. Or else I'll have to build a bigger shed.:cool:

As far as mechanicals, I think they're all pretty much bulletproof for the most part. I'm just over 50 hours (just starting to get it broken in) on my 3525, and no initial problems yet. We'll see how it goes when I get a couple thousand hours on it ;)...