What to buy?

/ What to buy? #1  

clarkmike

Tractor
Still looking!
Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a couple days and researching the purchase of a tractor for about 6-months. I'm impressed with Mahindra and I'm leaning toward one right now.

Our property is about 40 acres in southern IL. It's "hilly" for IL, but nothing like the terrain I grew up on in upstate NY. About 30 acres remain in production, but will slowly be added to a CRP tree program as that option presents itself. I've got 4 acres in CRP (wetland and waterways) that I need to maintain. When we are done with our dream, we'll have most if not all in trees. I need to maintain a 900 foot driveway (move snow and grade as needed). I want to mow the area around my wetland and plan on establishing a trail around the edge of our property for riding go-carts and running. In addition, I need to pull logs out of the treeline as I cull out the dead stuff and make firewood out if it.

I originally thought a 3510 with a bucket would be the ticket, but I've been drawn toward the 3525 with a bucket given the cost difference. In addition, I like the heavy build of the 3525. There are some other Mahindras I may be able to purchase (used 4530/loader with 100 hours for $17K) but I might just be going in that case.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mike

/ What to buy? #2  
If you think you can get by with a 3510 then get the 4530. I bought a 4500 and wish I had bought a 5500 or a 6000.
Tractors are like barns. When you think you KNOW what size you need, build bigger.

/ What to buy? #3  
I personally would recommend getting a 4WD if you will be pulling logs, working with a loader, working around hills and working in and around wetland areas.

/ What to buy?
Thanks guys. The 3525 draws me based on it's simplicity and old-fashoned design. The newer 4WD tractors look great, but I'm concerned about long-term durability. We plan on staying on this land for another 30 years or so, and would like to have whatever tractor we buy now last the duration. I've seen some fans of the 3525 on other threads, so I'll probably read some additional info there.

What do you think of a 4530 FWD with FEL and 100 hours for $17K? The tractor is about one year old and was used on a horse operation to move hay for the most part. Are the 4530s reliable? Do they have any problems I should look for?

I'll be getting serious on Feb and plan on taking possession of a tractor by March. I look forward to your insight.

Thanks
Mike

/ What to buy? #5  
clarkmike said:
Thanks guys. The 3525 draws me based on it's simplicity and old-fashoned design. The newer 4WD tractors look great, but I'm concerned about long-term durability. We plan on staying on this land for another 30 years or so, and would like to have whatever tractor we buy now last the duration. I've seen some fans of the 3525 on other threads, so I'll probably read some additional info there.

What do you think of a 4530 FWD with FEL and 100 hours for $17K? The tractor is about one year old and was used on a horse operation to move hay for the most part. Are the 4530s reliable? Do they have any problems I should look for?

I'll be getting serious on Feb and plan on taking possession of a tractor by March. I look forward to your insight.

ThanksMike

The 30 series is an upgraded 00 series. Very reliable. I have the 6000. I've logged over 800 hours with very few problems. I've heard of injection timing issues, minor hydraulic issues, and some electrical stuff on these, but actually no catastrophic failures. I wouldn't be afraid to buy used, but it's hard not to take advantage of the financing on new. If you have the cash maybe you could make a good deal on new.
Nothing wrong with the 25 series. No 4wd would definately be a drawback to me.
It all comes down to how much time you have to do the things you have to do and whether or not you want to enjoy doing it. I remember when farmers here farmed here with a bunch of Ford 8n's. Just took longer and more of them.

/ What to buy? #6  
Mike,
I too have been reading and researching the past few months. Looks like I'll be purchasing a 4530 4wd Friday. I have a 25hp Kabota but needed to get something a little larger to handle the work load. I would agree with the post from my fellow Texican, get bigger than what you think, you'll need it one day.

/ What to buy?
Folks,

I WANT the 4530....not sure I can afford it. My wife is not a fan of spending up to $20K on a tractor. Heck, our primary family car cost less than $12K new!

I can afford the 3525 and I like the simplicity of the tractor, but I'm concerned I'll regret not getting 4WD.

Guess I'll keep reading, learning, and saving and see where I sit in February.

Thanks,
Mike

/ What to buy? #8  
clarkmike said:
Folks,

I WANT the 4530....not sure I can afford it. My wife is not a fan of spending up to $20K on a tractor. Heck, our primary family car cost less than $12K new!

I can afford the 3525 and I like the simplicity of the tractor, but I'm concerned I'll regret not getting 4WD.

Guess I'll keep reading, learning, and saving and see where I sit in February.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, see if there is a way that you could operate both types. 2x4 and 4x4. There is no comparison, but you need to see for yourself. If there is any way that you can swing a 4x4 tractor, you will not regret it. I would guess that you will own your tractor a lot longer than you have your 12k car.

Good luck

/ What to buy? #9  
Mike, I just purchased a 4530 in December. I have a little over 20 hours on it so far and I have not found a job it couldn't perform. I live in Central Texas and my property is a mixture of sand and sandy loam and is generally level, but is also heavily wooded in some parts. I have been pushing 8" and 10" trees over clearing a fence line with ease. I also have a shallow pond I'm in the process of cleaning out to make it deeper. I can drive in as deep as two feet of water and have yet come close to getting stuck. I don't even have the tires loaded yet and the four wheel drive with the R-1's pull me out every time with a full bucket of dirt. If you are going to be doing dirt work or mowing and maintaining any wetlands you'll definitely regret not buying a four wheel drive tractor. I too went to the dealership with the intention of buying a 3525, but after comparing both machines side by side there was just no comparison. All in all I love my 4530 and if is by far out performed anything I have ever operated. Spend the extra money now and you won't regret it. I also couldn't really afford it, but after comparing the two tractors and what jobs I had to do, I couldn't afford to not buy the 4530.
James.

/ What to buy? #10  
Using a front drive tractor, if the ground is soft and running in 2wd, it will cut ruts. Put it in 4wd and it will go through without a mark. I think you will regret not getting front wheel assist.