What made this lawn damage?

/ What made this lawn damage? #1  

Fuddyduddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
john deere
This morning all over the yard I have these funnel-shape places, hundreds of them. Some places may be one every square yard, others maybe a dozen in a square yard. They're anywhere from an inch to 3"-4" deep.
It's not a mole or snake since hole stops.
Is it a skunk digging up grubs?
20230101_150908.jpg
20230101_150656.jpg
20230101_150747.jpg
20230101_150813.jpg
20230101_150737.jpg
20230101_150718.jpg

/ What made this lawn damage? #3  
I would guess guess skunk.
I agree with you, skunks. My dogs usually run them off, but sometimes the skunks win! Oh, the smell!! Thats when I know that the conical holes were made by a skunk.

/ What made this lawn damage? #5  
Skunk, I had those holes all through my garden mounds last spring. Looking for insects probably.

/ What made this lawn damage? #6  
Woodpeckers will do that too. Better skunk than hog though. Hogs will dig trenches over a foot deep and go for ten feet or more. They can really make a mess of a yard.

/ What made this lawn damage? #7  
It looks more like voles to me. I have had them in the past. If I am right, you can get rid of them by plugging all the holes except one and building an above ground tunnel open at one end over the remaining hole ( a piece of gutter upside down works) and a mouse trap in it. No bait required. It takes a while to catch them all, there is probably a lot of the little guys living down there. You can find u-tubes describing this method in detail.

/ What made this lawn damage? #8  
I would go with chipmunk. I had a handful of them around the pool a while back and they made holes just like that.

/ What made this lawn damage? #9  
LOL. He has no clue what made the holes now. I think it's aliens. Do you see any green slime around the holes? Set up your game camera and catch those bug eyed invaders in action.