What is the best way to level truck when towing?

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #51  
I really like timberen I think they are called SES, I had those after having airbags and they are way better, you dont need to add air or balance them out, you dont feel them when you are not loaded. and they are less expensive. a no brainer in my opinion.

I like and use Timbren SES on my F350 on the rear..

I also have the Timbren SES's on my F250, they made a huge difference towing my 34' fifth wheel. No air lines, just replaces the stock jounce bumpers. On my 2017 F250, install was just 2 bolts per side.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #52  
As an owner of half tons and an equipment trailer and travel trailer I’m always fighting payload capacity. What I’d suggest is looking at your hitch/manual and first learn whether you’re required to use weight distribution at those tongue weights.

If yes, then I’d get one, though I’d be hopeful to not need it with the boat to stay away from that situation with the aluminum trailer. These devices are fantastic and on my half tons have kept me in allowable payload ranges.

If no, then what are you trying to accomplish? Just less rear end sag? If you’re within tongue weight and overall payload limits, I’d 100% go for suspension support such as the Timbren SES like previously mentioned, although I’m partial to the Sumo Springs brand. Same concept, replaces your factory bump stop. I had the 1000 lb capacity Sumo Springs on my 2008 Chevy Silverado. The truck rode the same unloaded and even loaded was not harsh. The weight distribution hitch allowed me to stay within all my weight limits. But the Sumo Springs helped relieve the sag and all that extra stress on the rear suspension. Particularly if I wanted to move around the travel trailer on my property without the hassle of hooking up the WD.

The reason I like these two products over air bags is they’re dirt simple and much less expensive. The air bags is a super cool concept and gives you that flexibility of adjustment, but in all my reading I kept finding long term they are prone to fail. I didn’t want to invest twice.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #53  
Firestone brand air helper springs come with a lifetime bag warranty, depending on vehicle most are bolt on for specific vehicles taking the place of bump stops. Have them on my 3/4 ton never had any issues with them losing air keeping minimum of 5 psi unloaded I usually run my bumper pull equipment trailer tongue heavy occasionally overloaded truck and or trailer and the bags have always leveled the truck out like there was nothing there. However another thread I was reading showed boxed frame failures so I keep that in mind. Had my bags for a few yrs now. I suppose if there would be a failure or issue with my air bags it would be in one of the air line couplers. I also currently run sumo springs on 4 corners of my Chevy 4500 class C they work much better than stock setup from factory, very easy to install, however I'd rather have the air helper springs on it instead. I also replaced rear shocks on both my truck and RV with heavier duty Bilsteins.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #54  
One of the main purposes of air bags is to maintain proper vehicle level. Timbre s do not do this.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #55  
One of the main purposes of air bags is to maintain proper vehicle level. Timbre s do not do this.
Isn't that what op asked about initially?

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #56  
I said it earlier but I’ll say it again, why do anything? If the vehicle is sagging to much it’s overloaded, which I don’t think is the case for the OP. You put weight on the back of a truck it’s going to ride lower, so what. I know my F150 rides a little high in back empty and if I put a load in the back or hitch a trailer up it levels out.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #57  
I found starting with the trailer leveled right helps. I have 0, 2, 4, and 6" drop hitches for various trailers due to tongue height. After that I work with load centering.

If that isn't enough, then 'll think about additional measures.

It's crazy how many rigs I see that have no hope of balancing, mostly tongue down, because they don't start with the correct ball height to begin with.

/ What is the best way to level truck when towing? #59  
He surely did. Since then he’s gotten all kind of recommendations that do nothing for truck being level.
Like I said a few times I'll take these and I currently use them, standalone no onboard compressor decent quality, most are bolt in, fairly straightforward install, they work great for taking the squat out of my truck from my experience with them. Ride has also improved unloaded imo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511-084403.png
    Screenshot_20230511-084403.png
    463 KB · Views: 56