What is some of your Pet Peeve's

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #741  
I give directions to my home and I start off with telling them not to use their phone mapping service because it will misdirect them. I then give them exact turns, road numbers and miles. Hours later they will call me up lost since they followed their phones map directions and ended up in little used dirt road that dead ended in nowhere.
One of my pet peeves is when people still insist on giving me turn-by-turn directions, as if we're living in the 18th century, rather than just the effing coordinates to trick out a glitch in GPS mapping. I don't care that much about where anyone lives, to go back to that.

Dude, it's 2023. It's time to embrace the 1990's technology. :ROFLMAO:

I also lived on a road for which GPS often gave bad directions. I learned 20 years ago how to give the address in a format that would "fool" any GPS toward nailing it right.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #742  
One of my pet peeves is when people still insist on giving me turn-by-turn directions, as if we're living in the 18th century, rather than just the effing coordinates to trick out a glitch in GPS mapping. I don't care that much about where anyone lives, to go back to that.

Dude, it's 2023. It's time to embrace the 1990's technology. :ROFLMAO:

I also lived on a road for which GPS often gave bad directions. I learned 20 years ago how to give the address in a format that would "fool" any GPS toward nailing it right.
GPS will ALWAYS take you into from the north down a STEEP gravel hill and across a low water bridge that has 4'+ water over it after a good rain. We try to convince people to come from the south if there is inclement weather but every one follows their GPS blindly to save 7 miles. Until they have turn a camper around on narrow gravel road and go 12 miles around to approach from the south.
Sometimes local knowledge is worth listening to....besides many map and GPS apps will turn you into a neighbors drive way and a fence. No cell service so you are on your own, can't call for directions after the fact.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #743  
It's extremely simple to follow the turn by turn directions to here. It's one turn off the main highway (assuming they find the correct one - there aren't many around here) and one mile down the road.

Yet people insist on using their GPS and generally end up 10 miles down the road. I've gotten used to go finding them, which can be a bit tricky when they've turned around, driven past a second time, and have no clue where they are.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #745  
Misuse of words or bad grammer could be a thread all into itself. The ones where someone needs help fixing their "breaks" always get me.
One that bugs me is when a poster says his tractor/truck/whatever won't turn over. Doe he mean it won't crank, or it won't start?

Another is when they say they have a short in the electrical system, when they clearly have an open circuit or broken wire judging by the symptoms.

I guess I'm just a nitpicking old fart.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #746  
Speaking of that..
People who simply put an engine mdl or tractor model, with no hint of a problem.
I refuse to open them.!!!

So if u want MY HELP, you had better put a slight hint of your problem in the header..

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #747  
My tractor won't start. Help!

Describe the symptoms.

It doesn't start!

What does it do when it doesn't start?

It just won't start!

Bruce

Last edited:
   / What is some of your Pet Peeve's #748  
How about people who send you a Prvt Msg that won’t contact you directly..
I like using my home email to converse about their problems..
Otherwise I have to log in here 8 different times throughout the day to answer a question..or help with diagnostics.. it’s a pain..
My limit, starting today is 3x.
If u don’t use my direct email by the 3rd time I ask u to, I’m not helping ..
(Speaking of grumpy old man)

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #749  
It is not the County road that screws up the GPS locators or the coordinates. It is the directions to get there that are the problem. I have noticed this with a lot of these type of location finders that they pick routes that are not near as good as us 18th century map readers can plot out. Might be handy things in the urban landscape but not terribly good out in places where roads are not blacktop.

The last young feller delivering my mini excavator thought much like you about his abilities to find my place. Why listen to some old guy telling you your job? He had one hell of a time turning his 32 foot trailer and truck around on that dead ended dirt road. Luckily it had not rained recently or he would have needed a wrecker.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #750  
People who slow down way too much to make a turn off the road.

Last evenings commute home, a white Prius cuts me off and slows way down, no brakes, just slows... to about 10 in a 35 with heavy traffic. Then decided to turn off the road, no signal. He was sneaking up on the intersection?