What is some of your Pet Peeve's

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #731  
Something I have noticed more over the last 5-10 years....people using the word verse in place of versus.

These words do not remotely mean the same thing. They dont even share an origin. Versus is from Latin and verse is old english (fers).

In some cases, people use verse as if it is the singular form of versus. For instance me verse you, but us versus them.
... or even more frequently, "then" interchanged with "than". :rolleyes:

The two that give me trouble are "principle" versus "principal", and "who" versus "whom" (and associated "whose"). Thankfully, since the stupid box on which I'm typing is the world's most advanced dictionary, it's hard to make those mistakes as frequently as when we were writing with pen on paper.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #732  
Something I have noticed more over the last 5-10 years....people using the word verse in place of versus.

These words do not remotely mean the same thing. They dont even share an origin. Versus is from Latin and verse is old english (fers).

In some cases, people use verse as if it is the singular form of versus. For instance me verse you, but us versus them.
We've never heard that here.
That sounds like a "Green Acres" skit:
Lisa: "I'm verse den you"
Oliver: "What?!???"
Lisa: "I'm verse den you makin' pancakes but much prettier versus all dese Hootersville vemmen"!
Oliver: "Oh...okay. I have to go to Drucker's"

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #733  
Here's one for all of you, that might remind you of your days of employment:

Middle Managers.

They whine endlessly about not having enough people, or the turn around time of getting new users set up, or that they have to submit tickets for access, or that it's raining, or sunny, or cold or anything else other than themselves as to why their department isn't performing to a simple standard. Meanwhile getting information out of them is like pulling blood from a stone. Simple things like what their new hire's name is, or a start date. Of course, once I turn that information into an account and get it back to them it's no longer a Holy God get it to me now issue and they sit on it for three or four weeks while their new hire does ???. During which time, their account expires due to it never being logged in and the cycle is repeated.

Happy ****ing Monday!

P.S. This is why IT is cranky all the time.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #734  
Another peeve, words that aren't spelled the way they sound.

There's no reason for the letter "p" to be in some words, like pneumatic.

Also, the silent "g"

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #736  
A big Craiglist peeve of mine... people who inundate the place with the same ads. Last night I did a search for snowplows. Out of 39 ads 28 were identical, the guy posts one every day.
That is one of the biggest reasons I don't visit the site much anymore. The other is that so many dealers don't know what state they are in. If I wanted to shop for cars in Massachusetts or New Hampshire I would visit the Craigslist for that state.
Maybe not for you but for someone in Saco or Bridgton it would make sense. I'm right on the N.H./Vt. border and generally check both states' boards.
Agree on the multiple postings for the same item.
... or even more frequently, "then" interchanged with "than". :rolleyes:

The two that give me trouble are "principle" versus "principal", and "who" versus "whom" (and associated "whose"). Thankfully, since the stupid box on which I'm typing is the world's most advanced dictionary, it's hard to make those mistakes as frequently as when we were writing with pen on paper.
Misuse of words or bad grammer could be a thread all into itself. The ones where someone needs help fixing their "breaks" always get me. Some of this may be autocorrect, so I try to avoid being the grammar police. I worked as a tech writer for a few years, so the English language was a tool I needed to master, but there are times it's not always clear which of 2 similar words to use.

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #737  
^^^^

emmigrant---immigrant

:(

Bruce

/ What is some of your Pet Peeve's #739  
Probably number 1 on my pet peeve parade is the difficulty in getting people to understand something that I explain to them. Sometimes it is my fault since what is easy for me I assume is easy for others. Other times is because of a language barrier.

However most of the time it is because too many folks are so busy wrapped in what ever they are doing or thinking they only read/listen for a brief moment and big picture context is lost. It is like when I give directions to my home and I start off with telling them not to use their phone mapping service because it will misdirect them. I then give them exact turns, road numbers and miles. Hours later they will call me up lost since they followed their phones map directions and ended up in little used dirt road that dead ended in nowhere.