What do you drive for a truck?

/ What do you drive for a truck? #141  
I have a 2020 Ram 3500 DRW (Dual Rear Wheel). I bought it brand new off the lot. It has the "Max Tow" package... 6.7L Cummins HO / Aisin Transmission / 4.10 gears and the Ram Air Ride suspension with 5th wheel package.

I have just over 55k miles on it, and the only thing Ram has done is replace the CP4 fuel pump with a CP3 due to the recall. My truck has never given me a single issue, and I tow heavy with it.

I wanted a Laramie, but got this one in Big Horn trim. The only thing it is missing that I would change, is to have a heated steering wheel.

It is the Walnut Metallic color, and I love it, because I don't see many this color.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #142  
Wow have our trucks held their value. Wife got a call from the local RAM dealer. Then again a dollar does not buy what it used to.

They fixed a key FOB issue last summer.

Flat out offered her more than her 2004 2500 4x4 Cummins sold for new. Truck has 80K miles on it now but has been garaged since new.
She politely declined the offer and told them I like my unicorn no emissions diesel truck.
Thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:
   / What do you drive for a truck? #143  
Those are easy enough to convert as I recall.
I guess if adding a transfer case (possibly the tail shaft assembly on the transmission to fit the transfer case), adding/altering the drive shafts, replacing the front axle, steering and suspension is considered easy

/ What do you drive for a truck? #144  
I guess if adding a transfer case (possibly the tail shaft assembly on the transmission to fit the transfer case), adding/altering the drive shafts, replacing the front axle, steering and suspension is considered easy
There's no front axle to replace on GMs since '88. They went to IFS (unless including the Blazer, Suburban, and Crew Cab, which had real axles up to '91).

Yes, the tail shaft generally has to be replaced when adding a transfer case, and new/modified driveshafts will be needed. But like many other IFS vehicles available in 2WD and 4WD versions, the main difference between them is the missing parts in the 2WDs.

Some straight axle vehicles are also quite simple to convert, such as Postal Jeeps, XJ Cherokees, and some years of Rams. On those the axle shafts and the diff itself are missing, and a normal live axle bolts right in.

Of course, what's considered easy by some may be deemed insurmountable by others. We're all different, thankfully.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #145  
When I wanted to replace my little 1998 Mazda b3000 (Ford Ranger), about 13 years ago, I was really disappointed to find how hard it was to find a good American built truck. After about a year of looking I had to settle for this old truck. Glad I did. I liked the body style 30 years ago and still like it today. 118.000 miles and will last another 118k easily. I know most of you are probably laughing now, but I really like this old truck.View attachment 854602View attachment 854603
Very clean! Nice to look at, too bad you also have to drive it and sit inside the Chrysler interior also. Lol, I kid, I kid.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #146  
Very clean! Nice to look at, too bad you also have to drive it and sit inside the Chrysler interior also. Lol, I kid, I kid.
When I think about it, seems like all the American trucks were great thru the 90s. Seems like after 2000 the quality started dropping as the prices starting going up and up. Unless the big 3 improve quality, my next truck will be a Tundra.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #147  
Last year I finally bit the bullet and plunked down what felt like a LOT of money for a newer pickup.

After 7.5 years of supreme reliability, I said goodbye to my '03 Sierra 2500HD (6.0L LQ4 gas). An absolutely bullet proof truck; not very fast but plenty of power to tow 10k lbs with ease. But the 12-14 mpg in daily driving was not awesome, and the cab corners were starting to rot.

smw54wN.jpg

So I grabbed a '19 F150, 3.5 EcoBoost. 6.5' bed plus full crew cab means it's pretty long, but still livable as a daily driver. Crazy powerful, easy to tune for more, and still returns 18mpg winter and 21+mpg in summer. Tows as much as my 2500HD, but carries a little less in the bed. Love it.

szwRV1x.jpg

b5w2wuu.jpg

/ What do you drive for a truck? #148  
Last year I finally bit the bullet and plunked down what felt like a LOT of money for a newer pickup.

After 7.5 years of supreme reliability, I said goodbye to my '03 Sierra 2500HD (6.0L LQ4 gas). An absolutely bullet proof truck; not very fast but plenty of power to tow 10k lbs with ease. But the 12-14 mpg in daily driving was not awesome, and the cab corners were starting to rot.

smw54wN.jpg

So I grabbed a '19 F150, 3.5 EcoBoost. 6.5' bed plus full crew cab means it's pretty long, but still livable as a daily driver. Crazy powerful, easy to tune for more, and still returns 18mpg winter and 21+mpg in summer. Tows as much as my 2500HD, but carries a little less in the bed. Love it.

szwRV1x.jpg

b5w2wuu.jpg
Be sure you keep up on the oil changes and I don't mean every 10K miles either. Change it at 5. That motor is noted for having issues with the variable valve timing and dirty oil increases the likely hood of failure. new trucks with 4 doors and short beds don't work for me and my big F350 diesel gets 21 anyway.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #149  

smw54wN.jpg

szwRV1x.jpg

b5w2wuu.jpg
That 6.0 was a workhorse. It will be interesting to see how the EcoBoost will hold up.

/ What do you drive for a truck? #150  
Be sure you keep up on the oil changes and I don't mean every 10K miles either. Change it at 5. That motor is noted for having issues with the variable valve timing and dirty oil increases the likely hood of failure. new trucks with 4 doors and short beds don't work for me and my big F350 diesel gets 21 anyway.
Yes sir, 5-6k oil changes for life. I also typically do the Ford "flood-start" if it has been sitting for more than 6 hours (extra cranking before it fires to build oil pressure). And always disable start/stop.