What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil?

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #51  
Our town offers a hazardous waste collection day each year. I store used oil up and turn it in there. I had my first 50hr service performed on site by my dealer. They took the waste hydro fluid and oil for their waste oil burner they use to heat he shop

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #52  
Also, my college age kid just had a problem with his matrix. Leaking oil sensor dripping oil so fast it was bankrupting him to drive a few miles. A couple gallons of decent shape waste oil is good to have in emergencies like that just so you can get the vehicle to home or shop. Just for the record - the matrix sensor did not signal low oil. He had to detect the problem by hearing the hydraulic lifter tappet noise.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #53  
I'm not in NE PA, but in SE PA there are lots of guys who will come pump it out and use it for heating. That, and old diesel. Ask on Craigslist, or search on craigslist search bar (where the magnifying glass icon is).

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #54  
There is a little known law in my state that says if a business sells motor or hydraulic oil, they must also accept used oil for recycling. The law is never enforced.

My tractors generate around 15 gallons of motor & hydraulic oil per year. When I bring the used stuff to the place where I bought the new oil and ask them to take it, they look at me like I had two heads. No one will accept it. Sure, I use some for lubing machinery but there is always a whole lot left over.

Years ago, when I bought my first tractor, the dealer heated his building with waste oil. He had a tank beside the building where customers could leave their used oil. He eventually had to take it out because people were dumping all sorts of crap in it. Used anti freeze was the biggest problem since it caused damage to his burner.

When I worked for the local telephone company, I made friends with the truck mechanic. He let me dump my oil in his recycle tank which was collected monthly by a recycling company.

Now that I'm retired and have several tractors, the problem is worse than ever. I'm storing my used oil in an old 275 gallon fuel oil tank but it's almost full.

Considering the cost of new oil these days, there must be a market for the used stuff. I don't generate enough to warrant spending big bucks on a waste oil heater. I'm curious what others here do with their used tractor oil??
There are a lot of shops that burn used oil. I dropped off two 55 gallons drums last fall at a place that uses over 1000 gallons a year.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #55  
Thank God for the Phone Company. When I worked there , I also took all my used oil there.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #56  
My MN county runs recycle events. I bring mine there.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #57  
In a worst-case situation try your local fire department. Also, contact them about any solvents and other hazardous materials that should NOT go in oil recycling tanks.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #59  
Advance Auto or Autozone will take it for free.

/ What Do You Do With Your Waste Oil? #60  
There is a little known law in my state that says if a business sells motor or hydraulic oil, they must also accept used oil for recycling. The law is never enforced.

My tractors generate around 15 gallons of motor & hydraulic oil per year. When I bring the used stuff to the place where I bought the new oil and ask them to take it, they look at me like I had two heads. No one will accept it. Sure, I use some for lubing machinery but there is always a whole lot left over.

Years ago, when I bought my first tractor, the dealer heated his building with waste oil. He had a tank beside the building where customers could leave their used oil. He eventually had to take it out because people were dumping all sorts of crap in it. Used anti freeze was the biggest problem since it caused damage to his burner.

When I worked for the local telephone company, I made friends with the truck mechanic. He let me dump my oil in his recycle tank which was collected monthly by a recycling company.

Now that I'm retired and have several tractors, the problem is worse than ever. I'm storing my used oil in an old 275 gallon fuel oil tank but it's almost full.

Considering the cost of new oil these days, there must be a market for the used stuff. I don't generate enough to warrant spending big bucks on a waste oil heater. I'm curious what others here do with their used tractor oil??
In Mass. the stores are forced to take used oil back. I but mine at Walmart and Tractor Supply. I bring it back to both places.