What creates "bad diesel" fuel ?

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #81  
I run only off-road diesel from a local Chevron distributor. There's enough farm and construction machines around that the distributor has a good turnover. Never a problem with fuel. 150 gallon bulk fuel storage tank.

For my cars I almost entirely use only one station, I think they're Mobile. My truck mechanic wagged a nasty finger when I mentioned this, saying that he had to do a bunch of repairs on someone's truck that fueled up from this station. This was in the context of me wondering why his son's TDI, which came from me, ended up with a filter (CAT filter on that car and on mine) had a bunch of black crap in it. After maybe 60k miles on the CAT filter in my car I replaced it (prematurely) when doing some major service. The fuel that came out was pristine. I continue with fueling up at this station. It's a major truck stop.

I have only ever ONCE found water in fuel and it was in my Kioti. Early after new I struggled with getting water-in-fuel light coming on. I could find no water in my OUTSIDE bulk storage METAL fuel tank (which, according to everyone should be piling up water inside of it- removing bung never brings out any water): I do, however, have a water filter as well as a regular particulate filter on it. Even some 5+ year old fuel that came with my diesel generator (was sitting- pulled from a truck)- nada. Nothing in my B7800 or my Polaris diesel, both under cover but not in conditioned space (ha ha). ONLY my new Kioti was struggling. The culprit turned out to be a bad fuel cap; a locking cap which was letting rain water in: it rains a LOT here (try 100"/year). As soon as that cap was replaced (with another, but better locking cap) the problem disappeared. Over 10 years and probably a 1,000 gallons and nothing. Not the fuel. Not the storage tank.

Say no to biofuels... (intent might have been good, but the results are bad all the way around)

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #82  
Good stuff. Thanks for the correction regarding algae/bacteria. I've always heard it called algae. I'll adjust my verbage accordingly.
Agree. I'm not an advocate of additives in general but some of the biological contaminations that occur can be a reason to look for a specific kind of additive -- not to be used all the time but to clear a chronic problem. In the boating world I had a very experienced boat engine repair friend tell me to use an enzyme type additive to clear out biological origin crud in my gasoline fuel system for a Yamaha outboard. I had tried all kinds of other things . replacing filters, cleaning lines, changing fuels, etc. which did not work. This turned out to be darn near a magic wand or immediate cure. STAR BRITE Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment SEF Gasoline Formula - 1 oz. Treats 6 Gallons - 8 OZ (14308) It is sold by Amazon. I realize this is a very different fuel, different type engine, pretty much apples and oranges... BUT if all else fails I would look around for an enzyme type additive to get rid of biological contamination.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #83  
I haven't read all posts, but does anyone use kerosene to thin fuel so it doesn't gel.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #84  
I haven't read all posts, but does anyone use kerosene to thin fuel so it doesn't gel.
I have a fuel distributor that sells #1 diesel so I can buy jugs of that to blend. The neighbor that is an excavator business runs his big tank lower as winter comes so the fuel guy can blend it with #1. The Bobcat dealer also blends about 60/40 with #1.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #85  
Might have been a algae issue.
In my case, it was definitely wax that I fished out. Read somewhere that the additives may not work on some hydrotreated diesel fuel.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #86  
Have used in the past. Benz even advocated using gasoline one time but a bad statement on their part: creates an explosive mixture in the gas space of the tank. Most winter fuels have kero blended in.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #87  
Been reading this forum for quite some time. Finally signed up and registered. But beyond that this BAD DIESEL thread solicited my comment.
First winter with my new Kubota (and my first experience with diesel) I was clearing snow in Manitoba with a windchill of -30C / -22F NOT realizing that diesel can gel.
Of course the fuel gelled stranding me about 100 feet from my garage.
A buddy helped me pull and push the tractor into the garage to let it thaw, and he introduced me to a great product.
Fired up the next morning without a problem after learning about DIESEL 9-1-1 can save the day in such temperatures.

My son-in-law is an engineer onboard a Canada Coast Guard vessel.
He told me about having to use algicide with the diesel used in the ships - something I was totally unaware of.
Things you learn after retiring from one career, starting up a small business and appreciating the skills of the men that have married my daughters.
Life is good.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #88  
Todays low sulpher is no worse for crap growing in it than it ever was. Remember when carb rebuilding was routine. Not including chain saws I havnt bought a small engine part or even carb part for decades, last thing I can remember was needle and seat. If you let it sit long enough its not gonna start, pretty simple but it seems somewhat like a recent concept and it isnt. Gas tanks are clean these days.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #89  
Todays low sulpher is no worse for crap growing in it than it ever was. Remember when carb rebuilding was routine. Not including chain saws I havnt bought a small engine part or even carb part for decades, last thing I can remember was needle and seat. If you let it sit long enough its not gonna start, pretty simple but it seems somewhat like a recent concept and it isnt. Gas tanks are clean these days.
What is, is B20 bio diesel. That stuff is wicked good for growing micro organisms.

/ What creates "bad diesel" fuel ? #90  
This topic baffles me. I too have a 50 gallon storage that I treat and filter before it goes in the tractor, so does my family farm, but know and have heard, (I'm sure you all have too) many more stories of diesels, tractors, scrapers, dozers etc., that have been parked for years, even decades and they run fine on very, very old fuel. So is it that those old engines will run on anything?? Why don't those injectors and pumps fail??? The old diesel doesn't contaminate like modern day??