Ballast Weight box when???

/ Weight box when??? #31  
I just do not understand this changing weights thing:confused2: My BB is heavy and I want it that way all the time-I have never felt the need to vary the weight.

My place has some pretty unusual places to mow so the MMM works best for me. When I'm mowing, I take the FEL off and also remove any rear attachments because then the tractor is much shorter and more maneuverable.

When I'm moving snow with the loader, I put the back blade on because I need that, too.

But if I moving dirt and want some weight to balance the FEL, I have to hook up something, anyway, and it might just as well be something compact yet heavy. I just haven't decided whether to spring for the JD balast box (my dealer quoted me about $250) or make something on the cheap. I sort of like the idea of a simple cement block doing the job.

/ Weight box when??? #32  
I just do not understand this changing weights thing:confused2: My BB is heavy and I want it that way all the time-I have never felt the need to vary the weight.

I guess farmers and such do to maximize the efficiency of their equipment...doubt there's much reason for we residential owner/operators.
I like sand in mine just because I don't want permanency should I ever want to use the box for something else. That'll never happen, of course, but allow me my idiosyncrasies.

/ Weight box when??? #33  
I'd probably just make one... on the heavy side. I'm thinking somewhere in the 800 to 1000 pound range. Some people mentioned they like the BB since the could put stuff in it and take it out to vary the weight. For those people that wanted to vary the weight, I suggested just pouring a few different blocks of different weights.

My plan is to make a simple T shaped or triangle shaped frame out of angle iron that connected all the hitch points together. Then pouring the block around the frame and embedding it in the concrete.

/ Weight box when??? #34  
The more weight in the box, the more it stresses everything. I try to use roughly the right amount of ballast weight without adding all kinds of extra weight to just strain the tractor.
If i run with too much rear ballast, it makes the tractor pitch and buck on rough ground. I absolutely HATE that, as that stresses everything, and makes for a rough ride. Too much rear ballast also makes steering alot harder too, especially in soft ground.

/ Weight box when???
For me the varied weights would depend on what I was doing and what I had on the front. My bucket isn't very big (at least not compared to my skid) so for that I don't need a lot of weight. When I have the forks of I'm apt to carry much more weight. As was mentioned in another response you don't want the tractor carrying around it's maximum capacity front and back all the time. It causes unnecessary wear and tear.

/ Weight box when??? #36  
Does Deere make a cat 2 ballast box?
These seem popular with compact tractor owners but I'm wondering about one for my 5210 with FEL. Although the rear tires are ballasted, I definitely could use more counter weight when using my FEL for stone, gravel, etc.
Are ballast boxes used by the mid-sized tractor owners?

/ Weight box when??? #37  
This has always been one of my favorites (Not Mine):

93164d1199679152-concrete-balast-box-cure-box-side.jpg

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...-box-cure.html

/ Weight box when??? #38  
JD box is nice. I throw all my misc. Chains in there, 2 Chainsaws, splitting mauls, wedges, files, water bottles, tools, and there is still room for all my lead blocks underneath all this stuff. I'd be lost without it.
I used to put my saw in the bucket, and then i saw a tree down in the roadway, and of course i dumped my chainsaw and **** near drove it over! :mad: Never again. Now its always in the back.

/ Weight box when???
Deadman said:
JD box is nice. I throw all my misc. Chains in there, 2 Chainsaws, splitting mauls, wedges, files, water bottles, tools, and there is still room for all my lead blocks underneath all this stuff. I'd be lost without it.
I used to put my saw in the bucket, and then i saw a tree down in the roadway, and of course i dumped my chainsaw and **** near drove it over! :mad: Never again. Now its always in the back.

Yeah still working out a good place for the chainsaw. It fits behind the seat in the case but I'm Adrain of it falling off and want something better than a bungee holding it. I may bite the bullet and buy a box. :-(

/ Weight box when??? #40  
I wish I had a pic of my box all loaded down with my saws and stuff, but when i'm headed to the woods, i'm usually not real worried about taking pics of it! :laughing: