Watering Cattle from a Pond

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond
I would use a larger than necessary tank to hold enough water for a few days and use a solar powered pump with a float level switch on it and discard the extra electricity. Very simple to set up. Just the tank and panels with a small pump and a switch like most watering systems have.

For tank you need something very durable - I suggest a large used tire with one side cut out on a concrete pad. That way when the water level is down and the cattle are pushing each other for it they will not damage the tank. A little more money to start but your worries should be over.
>> I suggest a large used tire with one side cut out on a concrete pad
I would probably fence off 3 sides of the tank / trough to protect the overflow/drain and or float as other use here if they have a water well ?

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #32  
I was looking into getting a solar powered pump to fill a water tank to water my garden, but I couldn't get enough power out of a solar powered pump to make it work for me. During my search, I found all sorts of examples where the solar cell is wired directly to the pump, and as soon as the sun rises, and the solar cell starts generating electricity, the pump starts pumping water. When the sun sets, or if it's cloudy, the pump stops pumping. Systems like this are very common in third world countries. No battery is ever used.

Amazon has this for $180 that might work, but I'd probably look for something a little bigger because you want to lift the water 10 feet. The more you lift the water, the more power you need. If you reduce the amount of lift, you might get away with something like this.

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #33  
If the cattle have water alternatives, yes, I would skip the storage tank / batteries. I would have a look around for used solar panels. They are cheaper, and still have life left I them.

All the best, Peter

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #34  
Have a resource for parts / supplies? Wanted to use the learning from anyone who has done this.
Wish I did but I hae ont doe it myself. I have heard of a few people who have done it but now I have to remember who they were.

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #35  
RPS solar well pump systems. Ponytug gave you a link in the first reply.
We have the 400V system. At full sun, I've measured 12+ gpm at about 10' head. You could put a level sensor in the trough and the pump will shut off. Very versitile and customizable. We installed ours here in Oregon a year ago last October and it has performed flawless. We ordered the 'turn-key' option and were able to install in one day, after setting the pipe stand for the panels.
Even on cloudy days, the pump delivers water to our storage tank.
Livestock remote watering is their specialty.
Customer and tech support is in country and awesome.
Highly recommend them for what you need.
Patrick

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond
RPS solar well pump systems. Ponytug gave you a link in the first reply.
We have the 400V system. At full sun, I've measured 12+ gpm at about 10' head. You could put a level sensor in the trough and the pump will shut off. Very versitile and customizable. We installed ours here in Oregon a year ago last October and it has performed flawless. We ordered the 'turn-key' option and were able to install in one day, after setting the pipe stand for the panels.
Even on cloudy days, the pump delivers water to our storage tank.
Livestock remote watering is their specialty.
Customer and tech support is in country and awesome.
Highly recommend them for what you need.
Patrick
Patrick,
Thanks. Matter of fact I have contacted RPS solar. I have a previously drilled (by an oil company) 6" cased well. For this project, I have considered another solar pump primarily for cattle water. This is far from the pond where I am also considering a solar pump from the pond to up the bank through. I cannot do both projects due to $$. I have yet to understand what the water pickup would be for the pond to water trough and how this would be installed and work as the pond (here in Texas) levels can change quite a bit. I'd imagine there is some type of float you would use?
Pumping from the well, which is a lot closer to the house, would allow me to keep an eye on things and perhaps draw some small amounts of water for other uses. For this project, seems RPS has a nice turn-key solution/s. I am a slow "over-thinker." which means I do not rush into projects. So, while an RPS system looks promising I am still thinking about all the associated things I would need to complete.
Thanks for the response. What if anything did you have to do for freezing weather?

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #37  
Patrick,
Thanks. Matter of fact I have contacted RPS solar. I have a previously drilled (by an oil company) 6" cased well. For this project, I have considered another solar pump primarily for cattle water. This is far from the pond where I am also considering a solar pump from the pond to up the bank through. I cannot do both projects due to $$. I have yet to understand what the water pickup would be for the pond to water trough and how this would be installed and work as the pond (here in Texas) levels can change quite a bit. I'd imagine there is some type of float you would use?
Pumping from the well, which is a lot closer to the house, would allow me to keep an eye on things and perhaps draw some small amounts of water for other uses. For this project, seems RPS has a nice turn-key solution/s. I am a slow "over-thinker." which means I do not rush into projects. So, while an RPS system looks promising I am still thinking about all the associated things I would need to complete.
Thanks for the response. What if anything did you have to do for freezing weather?
A heavy walled UV resistant 5 gallon jug for a float should do the trick. Anchor it to the bottom so it doesn’t drift around and suspend your intake pipe in between. This type setup is what is used for pond irrigation pipe intakes around here.

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #38  
No one has mentioned a hydraulic ram pump. I believe it is required that you pump up hill with this powerless system. You prime it once and it sets up a resonance to continue pumping water uphill. The low volume is either drank by cows or returned back to the pond. Stoney Ridge Farms on YT has videos.

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #39  
No one has mentioned a hydraulic ram pump. I believe it is required that you pump up hill with this powerless system. You prime it once and it sets up a resonance to continue pumping water uphill. The low volume is either drank by cows or returned back to the pond. Stoney Ridge Farms on YT has videos.

I did #23. It won't work for him.