Watering Cattle from a Pond

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #21  
   / Watering Cattle from a Pond #22  
My friend has a solar powered water pump similar to this that she uses for a waterfall in her fish pond.

You could let it run all the time with an overflow going back to the pond.
Great suggestion, but Check the head in feet from the pond to the trough. These fountain systems seem to be limited to 3-7 foot rise (elevation) depending on model.

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #23  
I assume lake has an overflow and creek? If so check out hydraulic rams. They pump using water flow, no electricity, you can make one out of PVC and valves or buy them.

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #24  
If cattle or horses are allowed into a pond it will be destroyed, the banks caved in and muck and mud along the edges and it will get shallower and shallower till it's just one big muck hole.
Unless you have some kind of hard bottomed self cleaning pond and I haven't seen any of those.
True, but is an option to leave a small break in the fence, so the cattle can only access a small portion of the pond.

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond #25  
I would use a larger than necessary tank to hold enough water for a few days and use a solar powered pump with a float level switch on it and discard the extra electricity. Very simple to set up. Just the tank and panels with a small pump and a switch like most watering systems have.

For tank you need something very durable - I suggest a large used tire with one side cut out on a concrete pad. That way when the water level is down and the cattle are pushing each other for it they will not damage the tank. A little more money to start but your worries should be over.

/ Watering Cattle from a Pond
Depending on the required amount of water needed.A small solar pump running continuously with an overflow line from the trough back to the pond??

Or else a small windmill set up as above.
Yes, the small solar pump is what I was considering. Was asking if anyone has done this and if so, what they're setup / experience has been. It would be helpful to determine what company they may have purchased from also. There is a lot of low quality/junk out there.
But, a trough with and overflow back is exactly what I was considering.

My neighbor has two remote solar powered water pumps. Up out of two old hand dug wells and into water troughs. So... I know the necessary hardware is available.

BTW - you should also consider how you will get the cows to convert from the pond to the new trough. They may just prefer the old pond.
Yeah, it is sort of a gamble. But, cattle are generally LAZY and will take the path of least resistance. Given my site, where I would put the water trough, I do not believe there would be a problem?

You need numbers.

How many gallons a day do you need?

How much sunshine can you expect? Duration and frequency? Maximum duration without sun?
How much pumped water storage is there, to hold over, between sunshine pumping events?

Without a battery, you need to pump and store all the water needed for that duration until next sun event.
I think it means a larger pump and more solar panels are required for short pumping durations. It also means that excess solar beyond what is required to fill the tank is discarded….unless pumped water is stored.

I think storing excess solar energy (either as “pumped water” or in a battery) and making a smaller pump flow for a longer time duration is more practical.

It’s like pulling a 5 ton trailer (1250 gallons) up a hill. You might need 400hp if you want to do it in 60 seconds, but a 1/2 hp motor will also do if you have all day.
Have not yet given serious consideration to the number of gallons through. Likely in the range 250/500. How much sunshine? I am in Texas, usually all day every day!
It is NOT a problem even if the trough went dry. This would be supplemental water and the far side of the pond would NOT be blocked off. So, other water would be available. Given this I do not think I would want a battery or tank to store water ?

I assume lake has an overflow and creek? If so check out hydraulic rams. They pump using water flow, no electricity, you can make one out of PVC and valves or buy them.
No creek. This is a damn across a ravine and mostly zero water out-flow. When there is, well, it's usually a flood.

I would use a larger than necessary tank to hold enough water for a few days and use a solar powered pump with a float level switch on it and discard the extra electricity. Very simple to set up. Just the tank and panels with a small pump and a switch like most watering systems have.

For tank you need something very durable - I suggest a large used tire with one side cut out on a concrete pad. That way when the water level is down and the cattle are pushing each other for it they will not damage the tank. A little more money to start but your worries should be over.
Have a resource for parts / supplies? Wanted to use the learning from anyone who has done this.