Water pump leaking

/ Water pump leaking #1  

Brady D

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1910, Case farmall 95, John Deere 317g
I changed the water pump on my ford 1910 this summer I’ve ran the tractor many hours since but when I used it today I noticed a little bit of coolant had leaked out it appears to have come from what I think may be some type of drain but I’m not sure any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• 92AD355C-E913-4146-AA24-FE9FCA2E643C.jpeg
    92AD355C-E913-4146-AA24-FE9FCA2E643C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
   / Water pump leaking #2  
That would be the weep hole. which means that the seals are leaking and most likely has contaminated with the bearings which is most likely now damaged Or the bearing failed leading to the seal leaking. Either way will most likely call for replacing the water pump again.

/ Water pump leaking
That would be the weep hole. which means that the seals are leaking and most likely has contaminated with the bearings which is most likely now damaged Or the bearing failed leading to the seal leaking. Either way will most likely call for replacing the water pump again.
What could cause it to fail so soon that pump only has maybe 10 hours on it

/ Water pump leaking #4  
Potentially defective water pump would cause low hour seal - bearing failure. Does the pulley on the water pump wobble if you push or pull on it?

/ Water pump leaking #5  
Another possible idea is the water pump was old new stock meaning it has been sitting on a shelf for 10 years and the seals dried out and hardened.

/ Water pump leaking #6  
I would run it longer and check if it's not under warrenty.

I have a tc40 that has had a rad leak that totally went away after washing the machine. It's been about 30 meter hours since its leaked.

/ Water pump leaking #7  
I changed the water pump on my ford 1910 this summer I’ve ran the tractor many hours since but when I used it today I noticed a little bit of coolant had leaked out it appears to have come from what I think may be some type of drain but I’m not sure any help would be appreciated

I never worry about an occasional bit of fluid coming out of the weep hole. It could have been just how the shaft versus bearing and seal were sitting last time it was shut off.
I don't know for sure, but at one time I figured that some waterpump early failure was from having the fan belt too tight. Now most fan belts have non-adjustable string-loaded tensioner pulleys. You might want to check that belt tension if it doesn't have a spring loaded tensioner.

I got curious about water pumps in general and so googled it. It's surprising just how many paths paths wound around back to Amazon - where they are all roughly the same price of $71.00. Give or take a few dollars. Warranteed of course.

Those all have to be rebuilds; that price wouldn't buy the major pieces, let alone the smaller parts and install them. In fact, I'm surprised that a watepump can be rebuilt with decent bearings and seals for that price.
Back when it was common to rebuild a water pump on the bench at most mechanical shops, the bearings and seals cost about $40.
rScotty

/ Water pump leaking #8  
Another possible idea is the water pump was old new stock meaning it has been sitting on a shelf for 10 years and the seals dried out and hardened.
or, the OP bought an aftermarket water pump because it was cheaper and probably made across the pond (Chineseum). Had a buddy that bought one and the impeller was not on the shaft far enough and the impeller 'milled the front engine cover' and he had to replace that as well as buy an OEM pump.

Sometimes, buying cheaper costs way more then buying OEM.

/ Water pump leaking #9  
I got curious about water pumps in general and so googled it. It's surprising just how many paths paths wound around back to Amazon - where they are all roughly the same price of $71.00. Give or take a few dollars. Warranteed of course.
Not if they are Chineseum, which I suspect they are. Guaranteed against what? I've learned from experience that most of the stuff on Amazon is imported from the land of XI. Some of it is good, lots of it isn't....

/ Water pump leaking #10  
Not if they are Chineseum, which I suspect they are. Guaranteed against what? I've learned from experience that most of the stuff on Amazon is imported from the land of XI. Some of it is good, lots of it isn't....

The Amazon guarantee seems pretty good to me. I use it a lot; it saves me fuel and time I'd otherwise spend on a trip to town to see the local retailer. I interpret the Amazon guarantee to mean, "Guaranteed to be worth keeping".

If I don't agree its worth keeping, I send it back. For me that is far easier and cheaper than a trip to town. Since Amazon are the ones who have to pay shipping both ways and do all the bookwork, then it falls to Amazon to improve the quality until I'm satisfied enough to keep it. I can return things indefinitely.

It's the best way I know of to get them to improve their products.

rScotty