Water pressure/ flow question

/ Water pressure/ flow question #21  
I too, think the plumbers cut corners by only installing a ¾" main line. Should have been 1", or better yet, run ½" home runs to all fixtures and utilize a manifold. Much better pressure, much better flow, and almost instant hot water at the faucets.

If you have access to the inbound lines, and can tie the hose bibs into the main line after the 1st regulator, I would agree with that post as well.

/ Water pressure/ flow question #22  
Another consideration: Some water faucets are designed to only flow a limited amount of water. Shower heads for example are designed to flow only 2.5 gallons per minute unless you remove the restrictor. I suspect that those hose faucets you have limit your water usage. Can you replace one with a ball valve so you have a straight thru 1/2" hole when it's on and see how that works out?

/ Water pressure/ flow question
I removed the regulator by the road a couple weeks ago. I set the house water pressure at 80psi. The frost free yard hydrant I installed using 3/4 pex is after the house regulator and is VERY powerful with lots of flow. The showers have really good pressure. I'm still a bit disappointed on the hose bibs and kitchen sink. But, it was a marked improvement all around.

Last edited:
   / Water pressure/ flow question #24  
I'm almost done getting the must-do's complete after moving into my new construction home. The water service to the house was a mix of me doing it myself and the plumbers tying into it. I have a 3/4" meter directly into a 3/4" regulator being serviced by a main that according to the water department runs typically 100 to 120 PSI. From there I ran 1-1/4 sch 40 PVC out to the house site ~450 feet. I put in a frost free hydrant for temp water while the house was being built. Had lots and lots of pressure.

The plumbers tied into it with, I think, 3/4 pex into another regulator. I have decent flow inside but it is a little lacking. The place I notice it the most is the hose bibs on the outside of the house. They are frost free ones and there is crap for pressure outside. I just really noticed it since I am finally to the point of cleaning sidewalks, driveways etc. I'm thinking there is some bad juju having 2 regulators in line. The one on the house is maxed out on adjustment of Loomian Legacy. I'm wondering if I should remove the one at the road or the one at the house and if that should correct the problem.
We have new water mains in the street which thames water did last year, but the pipe in my front garden to my house will date back to the 60s....

The flow rate from the kitchen mixer tap showed as 12 Litre/min (bucket test last night). Given it looked poor and the thames water minimum is 1 bar/9L per min, this sounded poor to me.

I plan to measure the actual pressure this weekend (I need to buy a gauge first).

Before I spend 3-5K on a pressure fed brand new heating system (combi or megaflo), is there any way to know what I would get if put a new MDPE line from the mains in?

i.e. Is there any way to check whats available from the street before I go to any bother and expense of new pipes etc?

/ Water pressure/ flow question #25  
We have new water mains in the street which thames water did last year, but the pipe in my front garden to my house will date back to the 60s....

The flow rate from the kitchen mixer tap showed as 12 Litre/min (bucket test last night). Given it looked poor and the thames water minimum is 1 bar/9L per min, this sounded poor to me.

I plan to measure the actual pressure this weekend (I need to buy a gauge first).

Before I spend 3-5K on a pressure fed brand new heating system (combi or megaflo), is there any way to know what I would get if put a new MDPE line from the mains in?

i.e. Is there any way to check whats available from the street before I go to any bother and expense of new pipes etc?
Where are you located? It is hard to comment on what could be checked...