Wasabi's 2445

/ Wasabi's 2445 #1  

Charlie_Iliff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II
Wasabi\'s 2445

<font color=red>Gotta say, the PT 2445 is everything I imagined it would be and more. I'm thrilled! It does everything I ask it to do, without complaint! I've got a few minor issues such as the auger I ordered not fitting the collet sp?, but haven't met a limit yet, tho it bogs a little if I put the treadle too far down when going up soime of my hills. (steep they are) </font color=red>
Glad to hear things are going generally well. You are the only one on the board with the 24xx machine, so please keep us posted.
My 1845 also bogs when I try to push it uphill, but if I let off the pedal, it will continue to crawl until it runs out of traction.

/ Wasabi's 2445 #2  
Re: Wasabi\'s 2445

Those 45hp Deutz are strong, eh? Even without teeth, I've been surprised at how well the PT digs. I have found I can fill the large FEL bucket all the way with dirt...and head off at a pretty good clip....with no bouncing or noticable navigating impairment. I'm sure the backhoe acting as something of a counterweight helps. What impresses me most about the PT is manuverability!

/ Wasabi's 2445 #3  

The manuverability IS fantastic, until you get up against something parallel to the unit, like along a fence or building. Then you can't figure out how to turn away from it. You move back and forth and the more you try to get away from the thing, the closer you get /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

You end up being very frustrated, get off the unit and go have a glass of lemonade.

Then you remember that someone posted how to get away from the fence by pushing the lift arms down until the front wheels lift up off the ground, turn the steering wheel a little, lift the arms, turn some more, push down again, turn some more , etc... a few times with this crab walk and then drive away from the fence shaking your head. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

The crazy thing is, the unit is so manuverable in twists and turns but can get stuck in a straight line. It only happened to me once or twice while mowing along a fence, and now that I'm aware of it, it just became second nature to keep away from it. Also, the 5 foot mower deck helps because it keeps the 43 inch wide tractor about 6 inches away from the fence and this allows for enough room to get away from the fence.

/ Wasabi's 2445 #4  

The 2445 is roughly 60" wide. I don't have a mower yet, but will probably go for a 72" roughcut, which will provide me with a similar extra margin. I haven't gotten stuck against a building or such yet, (I have bumped into the barn three times/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif), but came pretty close.

I also nearly knocked over the seller's Harley /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif during my "test" drive and later came equally close to redesigning the bumber on my wife's Land Cruiser with the backhoe during a quick turn.

Suspect I'll be on the learning curve for quite a while, but I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. Sure do like it!

/ Wasabi's 2445 #5  

It looks like from the photos on PT's web-site that the 2445 is a pretty large machine. Is it as large as it looks? Size seems to me to be similar to (say) a Ford 9N tractor (or equivalent, I just used that for comparison since it's one that I've test driven).

What did you finally decide on the 3PH dilemma?

Dave

/ Wasabi's 2445 #6  

I have no comparable experience to fall back on, but for our needs it seems to be just the right size. I actually like sitting up on the engine....allows me a good view of happenings. I only have a handful of hours on it thus far, but am pleased with the weight....haven't had it off all four wheels yet, but as MChalkley told me, it is only a matter of time before I find the edge. I personally don't think I would be as comfortable with anything smaller, given the stumps, logs, rocks and other weight I face moving, sometimes on significant hills.

I went ahead with the 3pt, despite the limits discussed, reasoning that I can somehow adapt it to make it work. I haven't yet removed the backhoe to hook it up, but am confident that I'll make good use of it to back mount a tiller, rake, or mower and "multi-task". I'm still looking into how to make it float.

/ Wasabi's 2445 #7  

Wasabi:

So, how does stability appear to be? I really like these models of the machine, but my impression is that the center of gravity is considerably higher. (And maybe it's merely an impression, because the seat is up considerably higher.) I don't know if you've driven both types (meaning the 400/1400/1800 type vs. the 2400 type), but what's your impression?

Dave

/ Wasabi's 2445 #8  

Well Dave, believe it or not, this is the only PT I have driven, so I have no basis for comparison. That said, although the articulation and oscilation is different than anything else I've driven, I feel reasonably comfortable and safe. I have not done a lot of sideways work as I've been primarily messing with digging and road improvements, but I'll let you know how that goes when I get there. I have thought about dualing up the wheels, but doubt that I'll actually feel the need to go that way. Bottom line: I think the 2445 is plenty heavy and wide enough to be stable for what I plan to do with it.

I do know that the ground clearance on the 2445 is about 12" vs 8" on the 425 and I think also on the 14 and 18 series. Other than that difference, I think the 24 series are similarly configured as to engine placement, etc. The two (fairly heavy when full) tanks (one for diesel, one for hydr oil) are in the lower part of the front section. I don't think the seat placement (higher on my unit) will have a significant actual effect on COG as we are talking about my 195 lbs vs about 3,000 for the tractor, but the perception might be different due to operator's height from the ground.

I certainly notice a difference in handling when the bucket is up high, especially if full....but I tend to prefer keeping it down low anyway unless I'm going to load a truck or something....

After doing enough research to know a PT was what I definately wanted, I planned to get a 1430.....then came up with a fairly sweet deal on this used 2445 (940 hrs), trailer and implement package (less than I would have spent for a new 1430). I'm now very glad I have the extra weight and power.

/ Wasabi's 2445 #9  

Doug,

Did you ever post any pictures of your beast?

If not, I would love to see some /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Wasabi's 2445 #10  

I did, but the thread takes so long to load that I'll repost here

Attachments

• 54-165958-Crusty1.jpg
    54-165958-Crusty1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 141