Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #321  
They're great for flat properties and smooth terrain but not so much for anything outside of that.
We cut very hilly terrain with ours. Just takes a little practice and those hills become no big deal. I do have one property where its difficult to cut up and down the hill, but I can cut alongside the hill no problem.
On rough areas, its mixed. The 7ga deck is tough enough to take tough grass, roots, etc. but without bar tires, you’ll get stuck-pretty much like a 4x2 tractor with rear turf tires. One thing for sure is, its less tippy than a tractor. Not good on mud, but who cuts a lot on mud?
For a few years, I ran bar tires on my zero turn and it made a huge difference on hills and trails. Then when I needed a second machine, I bought a 4WD mower and switched back to turfs on the zero turn.

You know your terrain better than anyone, but dont worry too much about hills. We cut along them easily, even with turfs. Up and down is not as easy, but still doable.

With bar tires, it‘ll climb just about any hill and they are extremely stable.

1648922010516.jpeg

1648920922365.png

Attachments

• 1648920866704.jpeg
    1648920866704.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
   / Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #322  
They're great for flat properties and smooth terrain but not so much for anything outside of that.
I degree with this statement.I have a ZTR and where I live/mow is very hilly.Never had any issues.

Attachments

• Ford Truck 122.jpg
    Ford Truck 122.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 350
  • Ford Truck 125.jpg
    Ford Truck 125.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 169

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #323  
I used to be very biased against zero turns. Then I bought one. All I can say is wow, I spent way too much of my life cutting s-l-o-w with a tractor. My house lawn is 2 acres. Took me probably 2 hours with a tractor. I can cut it in 45 minutes with zero turn.
The other thing is they are much more maneuverable and can reduce weed whacking time, too. ;)
Tractors are great. Make a living using them. Just not fast or maneuverable grass cutters.

Last edited:
   / Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #324  
I used to be very biased against zero turns. Then I bought one. All I can say is wow, I spent way too much of my life cutting s-l-o-w with a tractor. My house lawn is 2 acres. Took me probably 2 hours with a tractor. I can cut it in 45 minutes with zero turn.
The other thing is they are much more maneuverable and can reduce weed whacking time, too. ;)
Tractors are great. Make a living using them.
I have to disagree with this. I've never run one and don't have enough lawn to justify it. Yet every time that I go past somebody on a zero turn they look like they are having too much fun. It's the same as when I see somebody going up the highway on a nice street bike, it just makes me green with envy. ;)

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #325  
I have to disagree with this. I've never run one and don't have enough lawn to justify it. Yet every time that I go past somebody on a zero turn they look like they are having too much fun. It's the same as when I see somebody going up the highway on a nice street bike, it just makes me green with envy. ;)
The worst part of a ZT is getting all the dust and nasty in your face because you're so close to the ground. But they are really fast and they can get into places a tractor never dreamed of. More importantly, they can get out of those places with ease. Those who operate them will know what I mean. On hills (?) if you have to cut it sideways, the ass-end will slide long before it will tip. If it even will tip. Doubtful. They're like a go cart with a mower deck. Tippy tractors bother me. They can kill people.

If I never see another mid-mount-mower, it will be too soon.

Wouldn't mind have a nice pull behind finish mower but there's money and storage considerations. Then, I'd have to go behind it and get the parts the finish mower can't get so -- What's the point??

I'm sure there are many situations where you can't use a ZT but, if you can, consider it.

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #326  
I was looking for a small car for my daughter last year, and I think it was a 2010 Nissan Leaf with 42k miles that was listed nearly for $2,000-$3,000. Trouble was, the battery bank was at a point where it was pretty obvious that the batteries needed replacing.

The next problem was there was a $500 diagnostic fee just to find out what battery pack was in the car before the dealer could even start to research whether a replacement pack was available and how much it cost. There were indications on the internet that batteries, when available, were about $9,000. And then being a totally EV, the range was limited, and the batteries were subject to degrading because they weren't cooled like other battery designs.

The car got traded to a dealer who promptly jacked the asking price to $8,000-$9,000, but I never bothered to ask if the dealer replaced the battery pack. If the buyer didn't do their research and the dealer left the old battery in there, someone was headed towards some real disappointment.

Hybrids make better operational sense in terms of range and not being entirely EV. However, one needs to consider whether these battery packs are even going to be available for the specific vehicle and what they may not.

She needed a car and we ended up with a Honda Hybrid because there are at least replacement aftermarket batteries for it in the $2,500 range. Not a great situation, but the car market was and still is pretty awful for buyers.

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #327  
I was looking for a small car for my daughter last year, and I think it was a 2010 Nissan Leaf with 42k miles that was listed nearly for $2,000-$3,000. Trouble was, the battery bank was at a point where it was pretty obvious that the batteries needed replacing.

The next problem was there was a $500 diagnostic fee just to find out what battery pack was in the car before the dealer could even start to research whether a replacement pack was available and how much it cost. There were indications on the internet that batteries, when available, were about $9,000. And then being a totally EV, the range was limited, and the batteries were subject to degrading because they weren't cooled like other battery designs.

The car got traded to a dealer who promptly jacked the asking price to $8,000-$9,000, but I never bothered to ask if the dealer replaced the battery pack. If the buyer didn't do their research and the dealer left the old battery in there, someone was headed towards some real disappointment.

Hybrids make better operational sense in terms of range and not being entirely EV. However, one needs to consider whether these battery packs are even going to be available for the specific vehicle and what they may not.

She needed a car and we ended up with a Honda Hybrid because there are at least replacement aftermarket batteries for it in the $2,500 range. Not a great situation, but the car market was and still is pretty awful for buyers.
If you really look into it, EV's are a total disaster as of now. They may be quite the thing in the future but now, they're a disaster. That Leaf? Nissan couldn't care less about backing that car. It was destined for the junk yard the minute it was made. Nissan, the Company, got a little bit of money from whoever bought it new (suckers) but they got the bulk of their money from the goobermint in the form of regulatory emissions credits.

This is what happens when people 'vote' 🤣 in the Faculty Lounge and expect them to run a grown-up operation.

One thing about the high fuel prices, it's keeping the Soccer Moms off the roads.

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #328  
What a bunch of children we have on here bicker back and forth. Do you really think that you’re adding anything to the discussion?

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #329  
What a bunch of children we have on here bicker back and forth. Do you really think that you’re adding anything to the discussion?
You know where the door is if your feelers are hurt. (y) I for one enjoy spirited discussions.. 🙂

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #330  
Well, now that's a different discussion. My initial comment was in response to the posts suggesting EVs will shortly become disposable vehicles.

How our aging power grid can handle such increased demand for electricity if all cars were to go electric is another concern. We might get there, and I think it's worthwhile to explore, but we aren't there yet.

Even if we solve those, and other problems, I think there will always be a market for gas vehicles for certain applications.
In my mind, the electric vehicle is non sustainable. It would take 1.3 million "charging stations" just for the state of California. The quickest "refill" I've encountered is 1.5 hrs or 30 minutes enough to get back home within the neighborhood. Compare this to 5 minutes for a gas refill. Yet, it is being rammed down our throats as your next vehicle.
My shop sold 2 battery powered snow blowers. They were both returned after the first snow. They lasted 10 and 14 minutes so there is definitely a need for liquid fuel. Battery powered Outdoor power equipment is another joke to the tradesman.
It takes the removal of 500 tons of earth to screen enough essential minerals to make ONE 1000 lb car battery. Can you say "Strip mines?".
Then, what is the grid going to be powered with to charge all of these cars? Fission, fusion, coal, natural gas?

The electric car is simply a stop gap marketing scheme with the usual palms greased until we come out with something way more viable.

It may turn out to be a net 100% energy usage just like we have now.