Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #311  
That's amusing data.

Hybrid batteries last the life of the car. Yep. I totally believe that. The car is totaled when the battery quits. :)

Show me a private owned Tesla with 300-400K miles? Thanks.
Did you not read the articles? The numbers are what I had stated. Most cars don't last longer than 200k miles.

But, there is still evidence to point to that yes, the batteries can also last much longer:

There are myriad similar examples of Prius owners FAR exceeding the stated battery ranges.

Think of it this way. Toyota provides a warranty for the battery of 150k miles. How many manufacturers are willing to warranty an engine or drivetrain for that long?

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #312  
Did you not read the articles? The numbers are what I had stated. Most cars don't last longer than 200k miles.

But, there is still evidence to point to that yes, the batteries can also last much longer:

There are myriad similar examples of Prius owners FAR exceeding the stated battery ranges.

Think of it this way. Toyota provides a warranty for the battery of 150k miles. How many manufacturers are willing to warranty an engine or drivetrain for that long?
Here is some more data:

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing
Yesterday I compared pricing of diesel zero turns to 35-40hp tractors and some of the brands of tractors are considerably cheaper to buy then the zero turns.

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #314  
   / Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #315  
Yesterday I compared pricing of diesel zero turns to 35-40hp tractors and some of the brands of tractors are considerably cheaper to buy then the zero turns.
You definitely “pay” for the speed of mowing a zero turn can accomplish. You know, I was not a believer in a zero turn until I bought a Kubota 31HP diesel with a 72” cut. Man that baby can cut grass. 3X faster than a tractor, too. It can also pull a small trailer, run a de-thatcher, pull an aerator, run a sprayer.

No, its NOT a tractor, but I’m 100% sold because of the time it saves.
I would NOT buy a new zero turn. I would buy a used diesel zero turn with no DPF for less than 1/2 the price of a new one. Less complicated or prone to failure.

Buy a used zero turn and a used compact 4WD tractor-both pre emissions for about the same as a new version of either aforementioned machines.

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #316  
I just want the gummit to buy me a new JD electric utility tractor in as much as I cannot afford the 225 grand retail price but, I still want one anyway.

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #317  
You definitely “pay” for the speed of mowing a zero turn can accomplish. You know, I was not a believer in a zero turn until I bought a Kubota 31HP diesel with a 72” cut. Man that baby can cut grass. 3X faster than a tractor, too. It can also pull a small trailer, run a de-thatcher, pull an aerator, run a sprayer.

No, its NOT a tractor, but I’m 100% sold because of the time it saves.
I would NOT buy a new zero turn. I would buy a used diesel zero turn with no DPF for less than 1/2 the price of a new one. Less complicated or prone to failure.

Buy a used zero turn and a used compact 4WD tractor-both pre emissions for about the same as a new version of either aforementioned machines.
I'm a total believer in a ZT's ability to efficiently cut grass.

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #319  
You win. I'm convinced. So we should immediately stop all tax incentives to this new technology. After all, it's much more efficient and cost effective than anything we are currently using!!!
Well, now that's a different discussion. My initial comment was in response to the posts suggesting EVs will shortly become disposable vehicles.

Their economic viability is an entirely different concern.

I think hybrids make a lot of sense. There is no extra electricity generation needed, as they smartly recharge the battery using regeneration from what would otherwise be lost energy during braking and coasting. The $3k cost of replacing the battery after 150k+ miles is more than made up by the savings in gas. My wife's minivan gets 36 mpg. Similar non-hybrid models get about 20 mpg. That's an $11k savings in gas over that time, more than paying for a battery replacement when needed. Note, there was no tax incentive for my wife's hybrid minivan.

I remain unconvinced on fully electric vehicles. I think they make a lot of sense for some specialized uses (daily commutes) but if you make long-distance trips there are significant downfalls related to logistics and timing for charging.

{Note, incentives aren't necessarily inherently bad. Lots of agriculture has incentives built in so, you know, we have food to eat.}

How our aging power grid can handle such increased demand for electricity if all cars were to go electric is another concern. We might get there, and I think it's worthwhile to explore, but we aren't there yet.

Even if we solve those, and other problems, I think there will always be a market for gas vehicles for certain applications.

/ Warning About Dealers And Their Pricing #320  
Well, now that's a different discussion. My initial comment was in response to the posts suggesting EVs will shortly become disposable vehicles.

Their economic viability is an entirely different concern.

I think hybrids make a lot of sense. There is no extra electricity generation needed, as they smartly recharge the battery using regeneration from what would otherwise be lost energy during braking and coasting. The $3k cost of replacing the battery after 150k+ miles is more than made up by the savings in gas. My wife's minivan gets 36 mpg. Similar non-hybrid models get about 20 mpg. That's an $11k savings in gas over that time, more than paying for a battery replacement when needed. Note, there was no tax incentive for my wife's hybrid minivan.

I remain unconvinced on fully electric vehicles. I think they make a lot of sense for some specialized uses (daily commutes) but if you make long-distance trips there are significant downfalls related to logistics and timing for charging.

{Note, incentives aren't necessarily inherently bad. Lots of agriculture has incentives built in so, you know, we have food to eat.}

How our aging power grid can handle such increased demand for electricity if all cars were to go electric is another concern. We might get there, and I think it's worthwhile to explore, but we aren't there yet.

Even if we solve those, and other problems, I think there will always be a market for gas vehicles for certain applications.
Good post.