Variable Frequency Drive questions

/ Variable Frequency Drive questions #11  
This one looks like it would work for you. 4.5KW 6HP VFD Driver Inverter 1phase AC220V 21A 1000Hz Spindle Motor Controller 712640469078 | eBay
It says it has automatic current sensing. $259. VFDs have come a long way since I last shopped for one 3 years ago. You still may need to program this for each motor but I don't know. What ponytug posted is true, especially about older motors and VFDs. Because of the way they work, especially the less expensive ones, voltage spikes can be quite high and they might cause arcing inside the motor. When a motor is operated in a high humidity environment arcing in older motors is more common. Motors running on VFDs also tend to run a little warmer. A VFD chops up the power into square waves so the output must be smoothed out with capacitors so that it approximates a sine wave. The sorta sine wave output from cheaper units is really composed of a bunch of steps which are smoothed somewhat so that they are not quite square but are also not a smooth sine wave. This can cause the motor to run much warmer. I, personally, have had good luck with inexpensive VFDs running older motors. Some folks don't. And they are better these days. Though a Rotary Phase Converter does not deliver perfect 3 phase power it will, when properly balanced with capacitors, do a good job for pretty cheap. I use one in my shop to power CNC machines. One machine has a FANUC brand control and these controls are notorious for needing clean 3 phase power and will shut themselves off if the power isn't good enough. Through the years I have had for machines with FANUC controls running off my big RPC and they have never had a problem because my RPC is well balanced. You don't need one that well balanced and so it would be an easy build. Interestingly, you can use a smaller RPC, power a couple machines with it, and as long as they are running a third, more powerful machine can be started and run. This is because the motors already running will act as generators to help the new motor to start. There are limits to this scheme because the voltage will become more unbalanced and the wiring will need to be able to handle the current. If you had a 7 or 7.5 hp 3 phase motor you could even probably get away with a rope start RPC.
Eric

/ Variable Frequency Drive questions
If you had a 7 or 7.5 hp 3 phase motor you could even probably get away with a rope start RPC.
Eric
Thanks, I've seen videos of that for years.
But my understanding of electricity includes:
5 volts, like USB, pretty safe
12 volts, like a car battery, be careful
120 volts watch out!
240 volts - mistakes can easily lead to major injuries

/ Variable Frequency Drive questions #13  
What's "located at a distance from their motor" 10 feet? 50 feet? Any good links for further reading?
That's one of those "it depends", and that means the particular VFD, its settings, the wiring, what kind of power supply to the VFD you have, whether there are reactors on the input / output, and the particular motor. "It depends..."

I would do a 10' run to a VFD, but I would find another way to do one with a motor 50' away. I would leave the long runs like down a well to experienced professionals.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Variable Frequency Drive questions #14  
Thanks, I've seen videos of that for years.
But my understanding of electricity includes:
5 volts, like USB, pretty safe
12 volts, like a car battery, be careful
120 volts watch out!
240 volts - mistakes can easily lead to major injuries
I get that. If you buy a VFD you will need to program it. You may already know how to program stuff. If you are not familiar with programming then it will take you a little longer to set up a VFD. You do not need to know how to do any type programming if you can follow directions. You also don't need to understand electricity to make and wire a VFD if you can follow directions.
Eric

/ Variable Frequency Drive questions #15  
There are ramp up & ramp down settings on the better VFDs that depend on the inertia of your load and if set incorrectly can cause issues like overloading and erroring out the vfd at startup or overrunning and potentially causing the motor to act as a generator at shutdown and what the vfd does/doesn't do with that current. If you do a single vfd for all the equipment, you'll want to make sure you have conservative settings here to accommodate all the equipment. I think you'll also want a "sensorless vector" type as to my understanding it will be smoother/better with less tuning for a variety of motors.

I have several Hitachi WJ200-022SF 3hp sensorless vector models and I've been extremely happy with them.

I can second the comment above from personal experience that motors that are not vfd rated do not like being operated very far out from 60hz, but I'm assuming you're not needing much in the way of speed control for your application of getting single speed motors running on single phase.

/ Variable Frequency Drive questions #16  
VFDs are motor dependent. It's not likely you'll be able to have a single VFD for the shop because each motor will have different energy and load specs. However, 3ph motors can run from about 30hz up to 120hz. That's how you change the motor speed. I bought two when I first got my Mill. One was required for the Mill and the other was required for the Table Feed. Obviously, they had to be able to run at the same time, so I needed two VFDs. I've since replaced the 3ph table feed with a modern 120v style and added table lift as well. My VFDs were less than $100 each and used common 240v single phase wiring.

I thought about going with an RPC, but they are large, clumsy and VERY loud as well as expensive. They don't like being turned on and off. And you'll need a lot of 3ph wiring to get it to each machine. The box and breakers alone will most likely cost more than several VFDs.

/ Variable Frequency Drive questions #17  
VFDs are motor dependent. It's not likely you'll be able to have a single VFD for the shop because each motor will have different energy and load specs. However, 3ph motors can run from about 30hz up to 120hz. That's how you change the motor speed. I bought two when I first got my Mill. One was required for the Mill and the other was required for the Table Feed. Obviously, they had to be able to run at the same time, so I needed two VFDs. I've since replaced the 3ph table feed with a modern 120v style and added table lift as well. My VFDs were less than $100 each and used common 240v single phase wiring.

I thought about going with an RPC, but they are large, clumsy and VERY loud as well as expensive. They don't like being turned on and off. And you'll need a lot of 3ph wiring to get it to each machine. The box and breakers alone will most likely cost more than several VFDs.
The VFD dont care as long as the VFD is sized large enough for the motor.

Hook a smaller motor to it and it wont care.

Sure, you can custom taylor a VFD for a specific application. Change ramp up and ramp down times, have dynamic braking, custom speed settings, over current or under voltage settings, remote start/stop or speed controls, etc etc.

But you dont have to do all that. Set it for 60hz.....push start to start, push stop to stop. Then its basically no different than a RPC and can be used on just about any motor that is the same or less HP rating of the drive.

/ Variable Frequency Drive questions #18  
The VFD dont care as long as the VFD is sized large enough for the motor.

Hook a smaller motor to it and it wont care.

Sure, you can custom taylor a VFD for a specific application. Change ramp up and ramp down times, have dynamic braking, custom speed settings, over current or under voltage settings, remote start/stop or speed controls, etc etc.

But you dont have to do all that. Set it for 60hz.....push start to start, push stop to stop. Then its basically no different than a RPC and can be used on just about any motor that is the same or less HP rating of the drive.
Agree on most points. My point of ramp up/down settings is if you try to run default vfd settings on a high inertia application say a flywheel run mechanical punch/press or a large lathe chuck you're asking for problems

/ Variable Frequency Drive questions #19  
Agree on most points. My point of ramp up/down settings is if you try to run default vfd settings on a high inertia application say a flywheel run mechanical punch/press or a large lathe chuck you're asking for problems
Yep....others have mentioned that too. And I even mentioned it in post #8.

Just trying to debunk the false info of those that keep saying a VFD cannot be used on more than one motor (not at the same time)....and that it has to be specifically programmed to each individual motor. And that simply isnt the case.

Its just a powersource. If your 3-phase equipment has no special requirements for soft starting and stopping, or need custom speed controls or start/stop switches wired right to VFD, there there is NO reason you cannot have a "universal" VFD that can be swapped to several different things

/ Variable Frequency Drive questions #20  
At the old power plant our coal feeders from the bunkers to the furnace had to run at the same speed. The front side two conveyors. One was a few feet long and the other took it straight to the cyclone in the furnace. On the backside it took three conveyors. So for each cyclone (14 total) that run had to remain constant or you would have coal backing up if one conveyor was running slower. So they had 1 VFD that ran 2 or 3 motors in each feeder run. We did run them through separate O/L relays. The short run motors were often 1.5 HP and longer uphill were 2 H.P. This replaced the original D.C. motor system that was in use up until a couple years before I hired on. We eventually swapped them all to 2 H.P. for convenience since they were all the same frame size.