Using oil. Does this make any sense?

/ Using oil. Does this make any sense? #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
My 2003 Buick Century (work car) is starting to smoke a little and use oil. A friend said he had the same thing with his car a few years ago and dumped a quart of Rislone in with his next oil change and it seemed to help. I'm thinking maybe there is some crud or carbon lodged somewhere that the rings are not seating properly or whatever. Is this a pipe dream or maybe some truth to it. Guess it would not hurt to try it. Thanks.

/ Using oil. Does this make any sense? #2  
If it is not stuck rings, I think you will find that Restore with CSL (Copper Silver Lead) actually reduces oil consumption more than Rislone Restore will also bring up compression a bit .
Rislone has worked for gummy / stuck hydraulic lifters for me and cleared up ticking.

If the engine is high mile I would go with restore. If low mile and has not had consistent on time oil changes then yes the Rislone is worth a try. Seafoam can also be a help as well

/ Using oil. Does this make any sense? #3  
Sure! It's magic in a bottle. Just pour it in a clapped-out engine and it will be good as new. :cautious:

/ Using oil. Does this make any sense? #4  
We were given a free Karmen convertible Bug a few years ago.

The car was almost 1500 miles one way, at the time we had an old Wagoneer that was using a Lot of oil.
At our first gas fill up it was down by 2 quarts, we bought some Restore dumped it in and made it to the destination 1200 miles away using just over a quart. Changed oil in Tucson and added another can of Restore and made it back to home 1475 miles flat towing the bug behind us Wagoneer used 1 1/2 quart on the trip back. So a 3000 mile personal test

Project Farm also had good luck on an Old ford diesel tractor using Restore and also verified the compression increase.

I do not recall saying it would rebuild an engine.

The Project Farm engine was so tired it would not start below 90 degrees before adding Restore

A year Later...

ps. Added Restore to my recently purchased tired Ford 550 TLB and when we originally went to check it out, it had trouble starting at 58 degrees. I put Restore in with T6 when I got it home and changed the oil,
This morning it was 39 degrees and freezing rain, the 550 fired right up with no thermostart in under 10 seconds. It also worked well in my old 3000 Ford also a very high hour engine.

Last edited:
   / Using oil. Does this make any sense? #5  
We were given a free Karmen convertible Bug a few years ago.

The car was almost 1500 miles one way, at the time we had an old Wagoneer that was using a Lot of oil.
At our first gas fill up it was down by 2 quarts, we bought some Restore dumped it in and made it to the destination 1200 miles away using just over a quart. Changed oil in Tucson and added another can of Restore and made it back to home 1475 miles flat towing the bug behind us Wagoneer used 1 1/2 quart on the trip back. So a 3000 mile personal test

Project Farm also had good luck on an Old ford diesel tractor using Restore and also verified the compression increase.

I do not recall saying it would rebuild an engine.

The Project Farm engine was so tired it would not start below 90 degrees before adding Restore

A year Later...

ps. Added Restore to my recently purchased tired Ford 550 TLB and when we originally went to check it out, it had trouble starting at 58 degrees. I put Restore in with T6 when I got it home and changed the oil,
This morning it was 39 degrees and freezing rain, the 550 fired right up with no thermostart in under 10 seconds. It also worked well in my old 3000 Ford also a very high hour engine.
Sounds like you are very pleased with the Wagoneer. I would be very pleased to have that Karmen Gia convertible!!!