Used GC1715 -- what to look for?

/ Used GC1715 -- what to look for? #1  

jima1

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7200 HSTD (sold); MF GC1723E
I'm in the process of deciding about updating my old Kubota B7200HST. Main requirement is to run my existing attachments (5' rear mower, 5' rear blade, 4' core aerator). Most of my hours are mowing 3 acres, then blading or plowing the drive, and maybe aerating no more than once a year. Power steering!

Since I need to keep this under $10k, I'm assuming buying new is off the table. Seems like a 5-8 year old used unit could work, if the hours are reasonable.

Have a chance to look at a 2015 GC1715 in a few days on consignment at a dealer an hour away, only about 200+ hours. Not familiar at all with them, having only the Kubota for the past 22 years. Are there any particular maintenance concerns to look for on these tractors? Have read that BX is easier to overheat because of tiny radiator, did MF cheap out anywhere on the GC sub-compact?

Will it run my 5' rear mower ok? (Lots of tractors around with mid mowers, but that just doesn't work for me, want to keep my rear mower)

Will I miss the position control on my old tractor? My old rear mower has rollers up front, only two wheels in the back, so I set the position where the rollers are just touching the grass -- seems to reduce wear and prevent scalping better that way -- can the equivalent be easily set on the GC1715 or would it need check chains?

Is the loader easy to get on/off, even without QA?

Thanks for you input.

/ Used GC1715 -- what to look for? #2  
I'll start at the end. Yes, if you require positional 3pt control you'll need check chains for every subcompact except a JD1025 as far as I know.

Beyond that, MF GC1715's are good machines and are under the Tier IV requirements so they have no extra exhaust requirements. A GC1715 is made by Iseki of Japan which is been a prominent partner of AGCO/Massey Ferguson for about the last 30 years or so. The FEL loaders are amount the strongest in this class of tractor and the build quality is consistent with about any Japanese tractor (Kubota, Yanmar, etc). I have a GC1710TLB of the same year which has been absolutely bulletproof. The GC1715's produced a little more HP and had nicer amenities like upgraded seat & tail light guards.

/ Used GC1715 -- what to look for? #3  
Oh... Also. I run a 5' rotary cutter and 4' offset tiller on mine without issue. Massey also sells those machines with either a 54" or 60" MMM so I don't think running your listed equipment shoud be an issue.

/ Used GC1715 -- what to look for?
Thanks for the comments, great to hear you have had a good experience with the TLB. There is a local JD 1025R for sale by owner, too. Maybe I'll go look at that just to see the 3-pt difference.

The dealer says they only recommend 4' rotary cutter with GC1715, but thought the 5' finish mower would be ok.

/ Used GC1715 -- what to look for? #5  
Thanks for the comments, great to hear you have had a good experience with the TLB. There is a local JD 1025R for sale by owner, too. Maybe I'll go look at that just to see the 3-pt difference.

The dealer says they only recommend 4' rotary cutter with GC1715, but thought the 5' finish mower would be ok.
The finish mower will be fine on a MF GC1715 or JD 1025R as they essentially put out the same HP. JD 1025R uses a Yanmar motor I believe and is designed and assembled in the US

So the used GC1715 seems to be in decent shape, everything I could think to try during the test drive worked comfortably well. Seems like a good machine. It would need some service (oil change, air filter, battery, radiator cap), but nothing major. The only thing I did not understand was that the front tires (industrial) were more worn on the outside edges, does that commonly happen? Not a lot, but enough to notice.

The hitch can be lowered to a position fairly accurately and then stays there, I would try that first with my mower before going to check chains.

Before tax, could probably get it for ~$9000, give or take depending on what the consignee will accept. Seem reasonable?

Naturally, he quoted me on new models (1723, 25) as well, says I should want the 5 year power train warranty. Could that really be worth $4000+ more? I'm just getting done with a tractor that was 10 years old when I bought it, probably have not put $4000 into it in all 22 years of operation! If a used MF tractor comes anywhere near that experience4 or what others have described here, it seems like a 200 hour GC1715 should easily get through another 10 years.

The big unknown here is what to do with my old tractor, which needs some significant structural repairs, even though the engine is still fine (maybe I'll post over on the Kubota forum about that).

/ Used GC1715 -- what to look for? #7  
So the used GC1715 seems to be in decent shape, everything I could think to try during the test drive worked comfortably well. Seems like a good machine. It would need some service (oil change, air filter, battery, radiator cap), but nothing major. The only thing I did not understand was that the front tires (industrial) were more worn on the outside edges, does that commonly happen? Not a lot, but enough to notice.

The hitch can be lowered to a position fairly accurately and then stays there, I would try that first with my mower before going to check chains.

Before tax, could probably get it for ~$9000, give or take depending on what the consignee will accept. Seem reasonable?

Naturally, he quoted me on new models (1723, 25) as well, says I should want the 5 year power train warranty. Could that really be worth $4000+ more? I'm just getting done with a tractor that was 10 years old when I bought it, probably have not put $4000 into it in all 22 years of operation! If a used MF tractor comes anywhere near that experience4 or what others have described here, it seems like a 200 hour GC1715 should easily get through another 10 years.

The big unknown here is what to do with my old tractor, which needs some significant structural repairs, even though the engine is still fine (maybe I'll post over on the Kubota forum about that).
That's normal for fronts to wear quicker that rears. They rotate far more often than the rears do given size disparity and stress/pitch when turning. 200 hours is very young on a diesel motor. With good care you should see 4000+ hours easily. As for the price new vs used... That's all about personal preference and how handy you are. I fix most anything and don't value the warranty as much as someone who doesn't have the tools or know-how might. Good luck on your decision.

That's normal for fronts to wear quicker that rears. .

I was commenting about uneven wear just on the front tires -- the outside edge was more worn than the inside edge on both front tires. If my car tires did that, I would get an alignment.

/ Used GC1715 -- what to look for? #9  
Pics? Sounds like a good price. FWIW the 1715 was the higher HP model for that year.

Sorry no pics other than the dealer listing. That seemed like a good price to start at, if they will take it, have not heard yet. The asking price seemed too high after seeing the tractor in person and noting the service required to start using it.

One more question: does the Cat I 3-pt hitch have any limitations I need to be aware of?

My rear mower and blade both have side pins that are 32" apart. No issue there I would hope with spreading the side arms.

What I'm wondering about is my 4' aerator. Sitting on its stands, the side pins are 18" off the ground. Does the 3715 hitch have enough lift height to get it off the ground? I checked the height of the hitch against the length of my arm, just did the same with the aerator, I'd estimate there was maybe 1-2" difference.

Just want to be totally sure about this before it's too late...