Used backhoes

/ Used backhoes #1  

musselmark

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 NH TN75DA
I decided I want a used backhoe for clearing some spruce stumps. What are some things to look for. Size, are there many different types of drivetrain/transmission as with tractors, shuttle, manual, hydro, etc...I'm looking to spend around 25000, for instance I found a 4x4 1989 cat 426B for $27000.00 canadian. Thanks for any help

/ Used backhoes #2  
$25k should get you a good machine. And something a bit newer than a 1989. Look around, you'll find some more. Case, Cat (kinda premium price), Ford/ New Holland are all good and parts are readily availible. I'm a bit partial to the old Ford 555.

/ Used backhoes #3  
I would say jiggle the hoe and if the bucket flops around like a cow bell it has loose joints possibly from lack of greasing. Look for seized pins. On the older Case 580's (say before 1988) I noticed more than one had welding around the loader pivots. I recall one was a 580C and not sure if this was a problem common to the older worn out machines I looked at a Ford/New Holland 555? model. I could have gotten a bargain on it from a dealer but I waited a day too long. I also looked at an older Cat but it was going to be a money pit from just hose replacements. If any cylinders are weeping use that to negotiate price down as it's a matter of time before the weep turns into a "park it now as it's a gusher." I bought my 580K from a dealer. It had over 2000 hours and the backhoe had seen little use as the pins were tight. The loader had seen all the use. I suspect a quarry owned it. I like having a bucket that lifts about twice what my tractor will but some tiems i wish I had bought a mini ex I was also looking at.

/ Used backhoes #5  

I was checking this one out

/ Used backhoes #6  

I was checking this one out
Wow around here that would be an absolute steal!

+ FEL that will lift over 7200lb

90hp extenda- hoe and 4x4 and Looks Very clean.

/ Used backhoes #7  
Yeah the Terex‘s are dirt cheap. Thought they looked pretty good.

/ Used backhoes #8  
I was talking to a local equipment dealer, they will rent me a big payloader with root rake on front for 6000/month. 1 month is plenty. They say it's the fastest way to stump and pile brush. They take care of any breakdowns. Probably my best bet.

A loader with skidder tires is probably alright otherwise they’re about worthless on dirt.

/ Used backhoes #9  
Now that the mini-ex and skid steer is all the rage, and the backhoe has fallen out of favor, backhoes can be had “dirt” cheap.
Might be back in the market for one if they keep dropping.
They’re still an amazingly useful tool

/ Used backhoes #10  
I feel like the new to me Ford 550 has already paid for itself.

These TLBs are great at moving a good sized bucket full as well since most have at least a 1 yard bucket up front.

Agree that the mini midi excavators are not bargain priced like an older TLB can be.
The mini ex's locally must have gold plating under their new repaints.

Last edited: