Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #51  
Both. Why?
Because as soon as you start doing it for hire, all of the rules change and deciphering them is a nightmare. Not to mention that each state tacks on a few twists of their own!
Good luck with it!
David from jax

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #52  
Good info. Thank you. Looks like I should start calculating how I'm going to work a job and get my CDL at the same time...
You missed the good opportunity to do this, as now they have mandated truck driving school to any new applicant! Not sure when and how much but it did make it a lot harder!
David from jax

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #54  
Imo if you get harassed by law enforcement a lot has to do with how your driving, and if your load is or looks properly secured. This is at a more non commercial level in my experience.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #55  
Plus, the chances of being stopped is small as long as you obey all the other traffic laws and do not wreck.
Maybe where you live.
Random DOT checkpoints happen often around here.
The chances of being checked are high.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #56  
Maybe where you live.
Random DOT checkpoints happen often around here.
The chances of being checked are high.
Happens here as well but only on commercial vehicles with a DOT number. Occasionally get stopped for looking suspicious, whatever that means, but it is usually a license and insurance check.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #57  
They check a lot around here but still know guys illegal as it gets doing commerce thru 3 states.

Unless you look suspicious, have a company name on the truck or drive a big rig, you can fly under the radar.

Local company didnt carry insurance or registration on their commercial vehicle. When they hit my buddy, they went as far as to file bankruptcy to get out of it

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #58  
In their defense, it's very confusing. I've read the requirements many times and it only now is starting to make sense to me.

You can pull a 9k gvwr trailer with a 25k gvwr truck and not need a CDL (right?)

BUT if your trailer is 12k gvwr and your truck is 23k gvwr, then you do (right?)

But if your trailer is 14k gvwr and your truck is 11.5k gvwr, then you don't.

The flowchart is helpful.
Correct.

The 26,000 lb ONLY applies IF.....
The single vehicle has a GVWR OVER 26k
The combination is over 26K IF the trailer is over 10k
Or if passengers, schoolbus, or hazmat come into play.

So....since passengers or hazmat dont apply to you it becomes simple....

If the trailer is OVER 10k.....the combination has to stay UNDER 26k
If the trailer is UNDER 10k.....then the tow vehicle ONLY needs to stay under 26k

Last edited:
   / Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #59  
If the trailer is UNDER 10k.....then the two vehicle ONLY needs to stay under 26k
I think you should have said 36k. ;)

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #60