Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements
Because as soon as you start doing it for hire, all of the rules change and deciphering them is a nightmare. Not to mention that each state tacks on a few twists of their own!
Good luck with it!
David from jax
What rules change? I know how to run a business and navigate business laws but the CDL rules still apply if I'm hauling my own heavy equipment for myself.
Correct.

The 26,000 lb ONLY applies IF.....
The single vehicle has a GVWR OVER 26k
The combination is over 26K IF the trailer is over 10k
Or if passengers, schoolbus, or hazmat come into play.

So....since passengers or hazmat dont apply to you it becomes simple....

If the trailer is OVER 10k.....the combination has to stay UNDER 26k
If the trailer is UNDER 10k.....then the tow vehicle ONLY needs to stay under 26k
Got it. Your last sentence should say "36k" not "26k". But I know what you mean now.

I'm sure glad I started this thread!

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #72  
What rules change? I know how to run a business and navigate business laws but the CDL rules still apply if I'm hauling my own heavy equipment for myself.

Got it. Your last sentence should say "36k" not "26k". But I know what you mean now.

I'm sure glad I started this thread!

If your not hauling for commercial purposes, most states your exempt. Similar to race cars, live stock and such I believe

Racers back home would get ripped non stop because they used the exemption but were "professional" racers in class A toter homes and stacker trailers

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #73  
That's a great question, and one I do not know the answer to. The sticker in the door frame shows the GVWR and both axle ratings, but no GCWR. Ford's site only goes back to 2004 with the towing ratings, as far as I can find... and my truck is a 1997 F-250 HD Supercab.
1997Ford-trailer-specs.jpg

Bruce

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #74  
That's a great question, and one I do not know the answer to. The sticker in the door frame shows the GVWR and both axle ratings, but no GCWR. Ford's site only goes back to 2004 with the towing ratings, as far as I can find... and my truck is a 1997 F-250 HD Supercab.

But considering it has a gas engine and 3.73 gears, it can't be rated anywhere near 17,000 lbs of trailer. Likely closer to 10,000.
In which case, I'm back to the drawing board re: the best way to move my machine without a CDL.
I will say this, it is less of a fine to be over your rating than driving within your rating of 26,001 without a CDL…. Sadly even completely unloaded…

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #75  
These old fords cant pull half of what a newer truck can by the stickers. I have a 94 f350 and 06 ram 3500, no where near the 30k the say today

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #76  
What trucks can tow 16k but stay below the 26k gcvwr?

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #79  
I asked this very question here a while back:

Seems the consensus is unless you have and are operating under an RV or state specific farm exemption; if you want to haul a 10k gvwr trailer, your tow vehicle must have a gvwr of less than 16k. Your gvwr of your tow vehicle + gvwr of your trailer has to be less than 26001 regardless of how you load it.

Here's the FMCSA (US Feds) official definition of "commercial motor vehicle " requiring a CDL - CFR part 383.5:

"means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle is a -

(1) Combination Vehicle (Group A) - having a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater; or

(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B) - having a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater; or

(3) Small Vehicle (Group C) that does not meet Group A or B requirements but that either -

(i) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or

(ii) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section."

Then they go on to clarify what "gross combination weight rating" means in the same section (CFR 383.5):

"Gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is the greater of:

(1) A value specified by the manufacturer of the power unit, if such value is displayed on the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) certification label required by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or

(2) The sum of the gross vehicle weight ratings (GVWRs) or the gross vehicle weights (GVWs) of the power unit and the towed unit(s), or any combination thereof, that produces the highest value. Exception: The GCWR of the power unit will not be used to define a commercial motor vehicle when the power unit is not towing another vehicle"

Last edited:
   / Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #80  
I asked this very question here a while back:

Seems the consensus is unless you have and are operating under an RV or state specific farm exemption; if you want to haul a 10k gvwr trailer, your tow vehicle must have a gvwr of less than 16k. Your gvwr of your tow vehicle + gvwr of your trailer has to be less than 26001 regardless of how you load it.

Here's the FMCSA (US Feds) official definition of "commercial motor vehicle " requiring a CDL - CFR part 383.5:

"means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle is a -

(1) Combination Vehicle (Group A) - having a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater; or

(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B) - having a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater; or

(3) Small Vehicle (Group C) that does not meet Group A or B requirements but that either -

(i) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or

(ii) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section."

Then they go on to clarify what "gross combination weight rating" means in the same section (CFR 383.5):

"Gross combination weight rating (GCWR) is the greater of:

(1) A value specified by the manufacturer of the power unit, if such value is displayed on the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) certification label required by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or

(2) The sum of the gross vehicle weight ratings (GVWRs) or the gross vehicle weights (GVWs) of the power unit and the towed unit(s), or any combination thereof, that produces the highest value. Exception: The GCWR of the power unit will not be used to define a commercial motor vehicle when the power unit is not towing another vehicle"
Thus my recommendation for a 14k flat bottom dump trailer registered with the DMV/MVD as a 10k, keep your tow vehicle under 12k, and make sure your excavator hauled in the trailer is under 10k or so depending on the unloaded weight of your trailer

Last edited: