Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #201  
I just got my cdl last week in NY state. Here 26001 gvw combined or alone requires a cdl. I got a class a without air endorsement so I was able to use my own truck and trailer. I am 55' long and never parallel parked before so had to practice that a bit. The walk around for NY is just plain stupid.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #202  
I just got my cdl last week in NY state. Here 26001 gvw combined or alone requires a cdl. I got a class a without air endorsement so I was able to use my own truck and trailer. I am 55' long and never parallel parked before so had to practice that a bit. The walk around for NY is just plain stupid.
You mean they want you to inspect like everything?
Tires, brakes, lights, tie rods, springs,

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #203  
A full walk around in NY would take about 45 minutes to an hour. Tie rods are connected with castle nuts and cotter pins and are tight. The cotter pins do not allow the castle nut to come off. They are not bent or broken and I see no illegal welds. That is just the tie rods. Even have to go gas tank straps, etc now.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #204  
A full walk around in NY would take about 45 minutes to an hour. Tie rods are connected with castle nuts and cotter pins and are tight. The cotter pins do not allow the castle nut to come off. They are not bent or broken and I see no illegal welds. That is just the tie rods. Even have to go gas tank straps, etc now.
:ROFLMAO:

I dunno about where this country is going. It’s kid of getting to the point where being “in business” makes no sense anymore.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #205  
I run a 350 dually with a 25k flatbed so for me it was a must. Get in an accident here driving out of class and lose everything you worked for. Get caught driving out of class here and you are held there until someone comes to drive you home. I have to do a log book in an f350.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #206  
I just got my cdl last week in NY state. Here 26001 gvw combined or alone requires a cdl.
INCORRECT....

you can be 36k combined in new york without a CDL. 26k truck alone and 10k trailer.

Not sure why this is difficult to grasp.

IF THE TRAILER IS UNDER 10K.....THEN ONLY THE TRUCK NEEDS TO BE UNDER 26k.

Its as if a trailer does NOT exist in the eyes of CDL classifications as long as the trailer is under 10k

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #207  
The pre trip tests are like that in Pa. now also. (a couple co workers recently took the CDL test)
You need to describe everything your looking for on the pre trip test.
From springs, tires, lights, and everything in between to the power steering pump and what drives the pump (gear or belt drive)
Down to the windshield wipers, fire extinguisher and mirrors and you better not miss anything
The tester wants to know what your looking for and why, and you must be specific to pass

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #208  
The pre trip tests are like that in Pa. now also. (a couple co workers recently took the CDL test)
You need to describe everything your looking for on the pre trip test.
From springs, tires, lights, and everything in between to the power steering pump and what drives the pump (gear or belt drive)
Down to the windshield wipers, fire extinguisher and mirrors and you better not miss anything
The tester wants to know what your looking for and why, and you must be specific to pass
And then almost everyone forgets those parts & assemblies, doesn’t do the pre trip, doesn’t test air brakes. They start up and GO.

Last edited:
   / Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #209  
I dunno about where this country is going. It’s kid of getting to the point where being “in business” makes no sense anymore.
I think that is the point. As far as driving the small, individual businessman out.

/ Understanding Curb Weight, GVWR, Towing and CDL requirements #210  
So what all did you have to do?
Take and pay for any class/training?