U joints

/ U joints #1  

DavidD

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1626
I got a used tiller with my Iseki that doesn't have a name on it.It appears to match the Iseki blue on the tractor but I am not sure it is original.
My problem is a busted U joint in the shaft.I can't seem to find one locally that matches it. Any suggestions on where to get odd sized U joints?
I've tried the tractor places and auto parts stores to no avail.

Attachments

• 237854-tractorwbar.jpeg
    237854-tractorwbar.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 259
   / U joints #2  
DavidD,
I have never had any luck at an auto parts store either. We get all of our bearings, including u-joins for tillers, from a local bearing store. They usually have to order them but we have never came across one (yet) that they couldn't get.

Hope this helps,
Aaron

/ U joints #3  
If you take the old one out and measure the width and the bearing cap sizes it will make matching it much easier. How big of a tractor and tiller do you have. I had a guy on this board give me a matching number for one that I had on a small Iseki. It turned out to be from a Mitsubishi car.

/ U joints #4  
The PTO shafts from Japan are usually on the verge of death at best. as soon as you replace that U joint the other will give out except it will undoubtedly break a yoke this time. I throw the PTO shafts in the garbage as soon as I get my hands o them in the container. They are a high wear item and do not have indefinite life spans. Buy a new shaft and you will never worry about it again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ U joints #5  
The Japanese do not use an SAE or a standard Metric pto shaft or bearings. Parts would have to be ordered from Japan. They aren't cheap. Better choice is a complete new assembly. I have a reasonably priced one available.