Turn the tires around

/ Turn the tires around #1  

watersteps

Tractor
David Bradley 917.5121 Terramite T5C
Is it OK to turn the rear tires around to gain a wider tracking distance. Yes I know the left will have to go on the right and same with the right to the left?

/ Turn the tires around #2  
Yes it's pretty much industry standard for offset wheels..
Most row crop tractors like mine have multiple adjustments on wheel and dish mounting surfaces for varying it from really narrow to extra wide widths of the rear track .

I think mine are set on 68" centers .. works out good for two row crops.. 6' bush hog and 7' blade on angle

Last edited:
   / Turn the tires around
Thank You for the reply

/ Turn the tires around #4  
You will find it somewhat inconvenient to add air. You could consider some of those valve extenders commonly used for dual wheels. I think you can even get them online from Walmart.

/ Turn the tires around #5  
I just looked at my '98(?) T5C. Unlike my CUTs with R-4 tires switching sides would indeed set the track width wider.

Some owners will have extra wheel/tire sets mounted using auto/truck rims (RWD) with a similar bolt pattern. They often have a deeper dish/offset and the tapered lug nuts can be used as with OEM rims.

That said, because my rears have tapered nuts/holes, I'd just reverse the nuts to use the flat side with lock washers as used on so many CUTs.

/ Turn the tires around
Thanks that sounds good.

/ Turn the tires around #8  
I switch the rears left to right on my t5c every winter to widen the track width and make room for tire chains for plowing snow. I have not had any issues, and the chains make a world of difference.

/ Turn the tires around #9  
I switch the rears left to right on my t5c every winter to widen the track width and make room for tire chains for plowing snow. I have not had any issues, and the chains make a world of difference.

This. ^^ W/fixed BH we don't need to sweat counterweights. Chains are cheaper than 4WD, and Terramite differentials are 'limited slip'.

If anyone's like me and prefers to scoop and dump snow vs plow riverbanks for Spring melt, check out Edge Tamers for the FEL's bucket lip. Leveling the bucket just right is so much easier than with any OEM 'level-indicator' of the four CUTs I've owned. (My CUT FEL buckets are 5' vs the T5C's 4')

It takes 5-10 min to bolt the ET's onto a bucket for the season. I attach two ~6"-8" from bucket corners and a third in the center so I don't scratch or scour the crown I've built up. Moving ANY gravel hasn't happened since I bought the accessories. :thumbsup:

btw, I clear ~800' of driveway plus 8-10 parking spaces for neighbors. Using the ET's saves me a good half hour of fussing with the bucket to 'catch' and not gouge my base. If all I had to plow snow was the T5C, I'd git 'er done just fine. 12" of snow just takes longer than 4-6" that's typical.

/ Turn the tires around
I did change the left to the right rear tires and same with the right to the left. It works very well and the lug nut holes are tapered on both inside and outside of the wheel.