Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Turf Tires in Snow??

/ Turf Tires in Snow?? #11  
i don't think the turfs with chains will be a problem at all. try them for one winter and u will know.

/ Turf Tires in Snow?? #12  
We get 150-170 inches of snow a year and have 12% grade on the drive. I have a Ford 9N with ag tires and chains and I also have a Kubota B7510 with bar turf tires. I was going to get chains with the Kubota when I bought it but he dealer talked me out of it.

Last winter I never had a bit of problem with the 4wd and turfs (so far so good) but I can't say the same for the 2wd with ag tires and chains. For one thing, it seems like the turfs will ride over heavily packed snow, the ags will start to ride over it, then punch through and leave you hung up.

As for ice. There is no thrill like riding the old 9n down the drive with the tires sliding and the chains not leaving much more than a mar on the ice. Pumping the brakes just seemed to cause more fish tailing than anything else. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That was one time I was glad to end up stuck in the snow bank.

The Kubota hardly spun a tire going up or down on the same ice.

There is just no comparison between 4wd and 2wd. If your tractor is 4wd I would definitely suggest you try them first without the chains. If its 2wd, then I would get the chains.

As always, free advice comes with a money back guarantee. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Turf Tires in Snow?? #13  
I run my BX though the yard to the shed. In deep deep snow, it is quite a challenge for it even with the ags!

/ Turf Tires in Snow??
Thanks for the helpful comment Varmint.

I'm pleased that someone realizes that there are three sylables in Jaguar /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Turf Tires in Snow??
I very much appreciate everyone's advice - I'm going to try next winter with bare turf tires and see what happens.

The ground close to my house is basically level - and my driveway (ha ha) is a rough track. So with the 4WD I should be fine. - Hopefully!

Getting into my fields involves more of a slope, but then I agree that the wide tires should help - after all I never put chains on my Dodge 2500 truck.

regards to all who answered

/ Turf Tires in Snow?? #16  
When winter gets close you may want to check availability of the chains, if it is getting low see if they can be returned if you purchase them but they are not used. You wouldn't want to get caught without them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif